Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:36 PM   #1
south bound PA to SC

Hi, going to myrtle beach s c oceanlakes campground.
Looking for rte advice and pro and con of each rte you like. From breezewood pa to myrtle beach sc.
Will be towing 29 ft. tt
Also any advice on staying at a campsite overnite close to the rte. somewhere soon after virginia to break up the haul.
Anyone done this lately, what was road construction or delay's like?

04 keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2013, 09:52 AM   #2
Towing a 29' TT, I'm guessing you want interstates. The following route keeps you out of the Washington, DC area where there is always construction and heavy traffic.

I-70 Breezewood to Hagerstown, MD. (several grades)
I-81 to Staunton, VA (wait for gas until VA, not MD or WVA)
I-64 to Richmond, VA (one long grade)
I-295 around Richmond to I-95 on the south side of town
I-95 thru NC and into SC
US 501 (just north of Florence, SC) to Myrtle Beach.

Construction is anybody's guess and there are campgrounds all along this route. Not knowing your tastes, I'll let you decide from the various CG sources.

BBQ Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:31 AM   #3
Old 10-04-2013, 10:01 AM   #4

Carolina Campers
If you have a smart phone, you may want to consider loading the Allstays Camp & RV app.

I use my Maps app to determine my route, then I use the Allstays Camp & RV app to find all the campsites at the locations I may stop along the way. It also shows you where to find Wall Mart, Costco, Sam's, Flying J/Pilot, etc.
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:14 AM   #5
Excel Owners Club
We have traveled from Rochester, NY to Myrtle Beach for years. We developed our favorite route and it avoids all heavily populated areas.
Take I-81S to the Front Royal Exit 300.
Merge onto I-66 East for 28 miles to Exit28 to merge onto US-17S/Winchester Rd.
17S will take you right onto I-95 at Fredericksburg.
Take Virginia Exit 84A to the I-295 Bypass around Richmond which will put you back on I-95.
We often stay at Rock Ridge Campground, 7030 Rock Ridge School Rd, Sims, NC 27880 252 - 291 - 4477. (NC Exit 121 from I-95) It's about 5 1/2 hours into your trip and a little over 3 hours to Ocean Lakes Campground. Nice folks run it and you may meet the resident ostrich.
Back onto I-95 and in South Carolina take Exit 181A to put you Southeast bound on 501 to 544 which happen to take you right to the front gate of Ocean Lakes Campground.
You can map it easily on Google Maps.
Have a great trip!
Adirondack Jack, Niki, K.C. & B.B.
2011 Excel Classic Model 30RSO, 2011 Ford F-250-SD 6.2L, 385HP, 4.3 Axle
Retired and Exploring America - http://www.snowbirdrvtrails.com/
AdirondackJa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:25 AM   #6
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Good info - Plan for fuel in Va. and S.C. We stay at RV Resort at Carolina Crossing. It is right off I-95 right after entering NC (exit 176 I think). They have a $30 flat rate for arrivals after 6PM - all transit sites are pull-thru with full hookups (and pet friendly). Honor system after about 7PM. We have stayed there at least 6 times.
Our other overnight option is RVacation about 1/2 through NC (I95 exit 98). $25 w/e - call ahead on this one they fill up fast after noon. It's an old well maintained ex-KOA. We've stayed here 3 or 4 times.
RV Resort @ Carolina Crossroads
Welcome to RVacation RV Park
Lots of Wal-Mart/Cracker Barrel/Loves/Flying J's but for the money I use these.
There are red lights and construction along Rt 17 until spring - no hold-ups, also the ramp Rt17 to I95 at Fredericksburg is a PIA. I95 Traffic is also bad for about 15 miles (Washington DC commuters) so you would want to time it to avoid 4PM to 7 PM. (I live in this area).
Tom and Amy from Northern Virginia.
2000 Allegro 454/Workhorse P32/TST/Crossfire
Life is a DIY project - enjoy it.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 03:22 AM   #7
Thank's everyone.
Very helpful.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:25 AM   #8
We left Quakertown, PA and now in Charleston, SC. We traveled on 13 through Deleware, Maryland and VA. Traveled mostly on 17 to SC.

This route does take you on Chesepeake Bay bridge. Our first trip on the bridge and through the tunnels.

The roads were great and traveled through many towns which was easy access to gas.

We have 30ft class c with tow.

We loved this route.

Julie, Bis and Idgie:
2012 Coachman Freelander
Toad 2012 Kia Soul
BIJ6165 is offline   Reply With Quote