Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2013, 03:56 PM   #1

South Jersey to CT

We're leaving south Jersey tomorrow morning to drive to Woodstock, CT and right now we're planning on taking the turnpike to 95. However, I am not sure we want to drive the Class A over the GWB. Usually when we drive the car, we take the Tappan Zee. Some of the bridge clearances on 287 seem low to me, but maybe it's just me (and I don't think I've ever really seen any motorhomes on 287). Am I crazy? Should we just take 287 & the Tappan Zee and avoid Manhattan altogether?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2013, 05:01 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
I would, I travel 287 all the time with my class A dp. You will be ok.
Leary54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:52 PM   #3

Thank you!!!
Old 07-03-2013, 07:19 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Depending where in So Jersey you are, GSP to 287 North straight up to Rt. 84 is the way I would go but I avoid the City and 95 at all costs! The slightly added mileage is paid for in dividends with the removal of stress!
DGShaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGShaffer View Post
Depending where in So Jersey you are, GSP to 287 North straight up to Rt. 84 is the way I would go but I avoid the City and 95 at all costs! The slightly added mileage is paid for in dividends with the removal of stress!
We're just outside of Philly. So we're looking to take the Turnpike to Edison and pick up 287. Our main concern is overpass heights but it sounds like we're good to go.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:55 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We drove 95 through Connecticut last fall in our motorhome, rough ride and lots of traffic. The Tappen Zee fine though.
Old 07-04-2013, 04:02 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBurton View Post
We're just outside of Philly. So we're looking to take the Turnpike to Edison and pick up 287. Our main concern is overpass heights but it sounds like we're good to go.
You won't have any issues on highways but if in doubt, they must mark them if they are lower than 14'-6" If you see a marker be prepared to stop if it looks low. In general, if you're traveling on highways they are all pretty high.
Old 07-07-2013, 04:28 PM   #8

Thanks for all the advice guys. We had a great trip.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:40 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
We spent the weekend in Boston. Great fireworks display but the heat was terrible! What roads did you end up using?
Old 07-08-2013, 04:08 PM   #10

Going up, we took the turnpike to 80 to the GSP to 287 and over the Tappan Zee, then 95 to 91.

Coming back, we took 84/684 to 287, Tappan Zee, GSP and back down 80 to the turnpike.

4.5 hours getting there, and a little over 6 getting back, traffic was just awful on the Tappan Zee & the turnpike on Sunday, but my guess is that 95 & the GWB would've been worse, and I'd still have to deal with the turnpike.
Old 07-08-2013, 04:30 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
When I travel to Jersey or anywhere down there from New England I will take 84W to 87S to 287S. Less grief and aggravation!! I am heading out to Philly for a Grateful Dead Concert and that is the way I will go. It might be a few miles longer but the roads and traffic are better.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:17 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by AttilaKara72 View Post
When I travel to Jersey or anywhere down there from New England I will take 84W to 87S to 287S. Less grief and aggravation!! I am heading out to Philly for a Grateful Dead Concert and that is the way I will go. It might be a few miles longer but the roads and traffic are better.
That was my suggestion earlier in the thread. It's worth it to avoid the city traffic and those terrible roads
Old 07-08-2013, 05:29 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGShaffer View Post
That was my suggestion earlier in the thread. It's worth it to avoid the city traffic and those terrible roads
We foolishly listened to the GPS. I'll never take 684 again. I was an hour of rough road, so rough I thought I was riding on a flat.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:58 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
If there were a Rough road avoidance on a GPS you would most certainly be routed around the city. Unfortunately it probably couldn't calculate a route to anywhere in this economy!

We camp quite often East of Philly off I-95 in Freehold. There's a county park called Turkey Swamp that has become our home away from home for local camping. Water and Electric and an available dump station. There's a lake with boat rentals and miles of hiking trails.