Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2013, 03:34 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Southern and Eastern Canada trip

I'm currently in Central Indiana. In mid-May I'm headed toward Duluth, MN and then east along the north shore of Lake Superior toward Ottawa, Montreal, and Quebec City. From there I'm going further east into the Canadian Maritime Provinces. I plan to take 3 or 4 months to do this. I would appreciate any suggestions of places to stay (or stay away from), sights to see and any other advice that would make this trip more enjoyable. Yes, I understand fuel in Canada is pricey. I travel in a 39' motorhome with a toad. Thank you in advance.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2013, 04:32 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
I am going to the east coast in September .Only I have to do it in 5 weeks because my wife still works .If you buy a prepaid Petro Canada gas card you can save five cents per liter ,which is about $.20 per gallon .
Man I wish I could take that much time .

Excell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:37 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CB1025 View Post
I'm currently in Central Indiana. In mid-May I'm headed toward Duluth, MN and then east along the north shore of Lake Superior toward Ottawa, Montreal, and Quebec City. From there I'm going further east into the Canadian Maritime Provinces. I plan to take 3 or 4 months to do this. I would appreciate any suggestions of places to stay (or stay away from), sights to see and any other advice that would make this trip more enjoyable. Yes, I understand fuel in Canada is pricey. I travel in a 39' motorhome with a toad. Thank you in advance.
Here's some info.
https://www.novascotia.com/en/home/p...s/default.aspx

ATTRACTIONS ONTARIO - Your all-in-one Ontario Tourism site! The one with the coupons!

Arts, Culture & Heritage: Prince Edward Island: Visitors Guide

Tourism New Brunswick : Destinations, Accommodations & Activities

Bonjour Québec.com: Tourist information and reservations to help you plan your trip to Québec

The above are all official provincial government web sites.
A thing to remember while in in Montreal, You CAN NOT make a right turn at an intersection. You can only turn right on a Green.
Some new road information about Montreal, Auto Route 30 By passes Montreal around to the South, this section just opened last Dec 15th. Your plan indicates that you want to go to Montreal it's self be aware that when your leaving the city there are two major routes out, One of them goes through a long tunnel, the Tunnel Louis H La Fontaine on Route 25/ Trans Canada Highway, I'm not sure what the restrictions are WRT to RVs passing through it. The other way is across the Champlain bridge on Route 20. This is a very busy piece of road, I would encourage you to spend some time looking at a map to become familiar with the route you want to take. I have done it a couple of times in a car and RV and I find the exits come up quickly with little warning. Also be aware that in the Province of Quebec they drive like Formula 1 drivers, especially in the major centers.
The rest of the roads you will be on are in fairly good shape. If you go to PEI you will probably go across the Confederation Bridge, Excellent views in a Class A because of your height. You pay a toll when your leaving the Island back to the mainland The Confederation Bridge . You can also go by ferry but it costs more but makes land in a completely different place than where the bridge is.
The other Toll road is in Nova Scotia. https://www.cobequidpass.com/Default.aspx .

One last thing, The North Shore of Lake Superior is one of the most beautiful places in Canada, but lots of bugs at the time of year your planning on passing through. Use Pledge furniture polish on the front of your rig, it will make it easier to clean them off. I personally love it up there. Your route will take you close enough, I think, to Algonquin Park, it's a beautiful place, Algonquin Provincial Park | Ontario, Canada | The Friends of Algonquin Park .

Lots of stuff, hope it helps.
Have a great trip.
Stewart
IMDSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:03 PM   #4

JM2c worth, unless you have a specific place along the northern Lake Superior route to see or visit, that section of your travel plans may prove to be rather boreing. The views don't change for days, lake on the right, hills of the Canadian shield on your left. DW is yelling at me now " It's been 40 years since you drove it , don't say that "
On our cross continent trip 3 years ago we traveled through ND, Wis. and Mi to avoid that section of Ont.
Road along the St. Lawrence river to the Gaspe was rough to say the least, it is carved out of the base or the cliff face along the river and gets damaged from storms.
Only place I've ever seen signs , saying you may be washed off the roads by high waves.
Many " Campground America " parks along your route , a membership can pay for it's self in three nights.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:15 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
JM2c worth, unless you have a specific place along the northern Lake Superior route to see or visit, that section of your travel plans may prove to be rather boreing. The views don't change for days, lake on the right, hills of the Canadian shield on your left. DW is yelling at me now " It's been 40 years since you drove it , don't say that "
On our cross continent trip 3 years ago we traveled through ND, Wis. and Mi to avoid that section of Ont.
Road along the St. Lawrence river to the Gaspe was rough to say the least, it is carved out of the base or the cliff face along the river and gets damaged from storms.
Only place I've ever seen signs , saying you may be washed off the roads by high waves.
Many " Campground America " parks along your route , a membership can pay for it's self in three nights.
Skip, that had to have been along the North coast of the St Lawrence river, In the half dozen + times I've driven Halifax to Toronto and back I have never seen that. One of my biggest laments about driving the South side of the river is that I couldn't get closer. If the OP is going to Quebec City I would recommend that he crosses the ST Lawrence to the South side for the trip to the Maritimes, rather than the North side having to cross at Gaspe. I personally have not done the North side but plan to one day.

Stewart
IMDSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:18 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post

I guess 'boring' is an entirely subjective term, IMHO it's some of the most ruggedly beautiful scenery for 1,000 miles in any direction.

No, there's no billboards to read, or other signs of humans screwing up the landscape, other than the highway that is, but these's lots of places to stop, boondock, and take in the fantastic scenery.

IMHO if I didn't want to see the landscape I'd just fly, not drive & explore. YMMV.