Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2009, 08:57 AM   #1

Southern Maryland to SW MO Late December

Bighorn 3580 5th wheel w/Dodge Cummins, auto trans. Planning to leave about the 20th to be with daughter for Christmas. Will be heavy and am nervous about long downhill grades, plus possibly icy roads. Best route?

Thanks for any help,

Blacksheep

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2009, 10:43 AM   #2

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Blacksheep we travel I-64 back to Kansas most of the times. Most of the hills you will encounter is in West Virginia. I-70 will be kept clean for the truck traffic, but could be icy if dropping temps and rain persists. I-81 and I-40 is a long way around but is a good road and a few hills. Nothing like western Maryland and W Virginia.

Kvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 11:46 AM   #3

Thanks for the good information, Kvtaylor. We will probably go I-81/I-40 unless the weather is excellent. It sure is better to learn from someone who has experience rather than re-inventing the wheel to gain experience that may not ever be needed again.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:25 AM   #4

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Blacksheep, There is heavy truck traffic on I-81 so be careful, and there are Flying J truck stops in Winchester and southern Virginia. We didn't think the hills were that bad down on that route. For us, it was a longer way to Kansas. But we stopped in Pigion Forge along the way. The Christmas lights are great in Gattlinburg around Christmas (been there before). We used to tow a 38 ft Montana and I can remember one long hill in West Virginia on I-64 that went for miles. The allison Trans got a work out. Have a good trip.
Kvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 04:16 PM   #5

I just wanted to mention that US 60, if you happen to go that way, from Sikston to Springfield is a really good road. They have worked and are still working on it to make it 4 lane all the way across. I went across there a couple of months ago in a pouring rain, and it wasn't bad.

Marv
Old 12-11-2009, 07:50 PM   #6

blacksheep,

Check AAA and Tennessee DOT for alternate routes. I-40 is completely closed east of Knoxville due to a big rockslide. Supposedly down for several months. Also, I-40 is kinda twisty for an interstate. 18 wheelers have a section where they are restricted to no passing and 50 (?) MPH. However, the actual road is easy to drive. Just be sure to be in the right lane when the truck lane and speed restriction ends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksheep View Post
Thanks for the good information, Kvtaylor. We will probably go I-81/I-40 unless the weather is excellent. It sure is better to learn from someone who has experience rather than re-inventing the wheel to gain experience that may not ever be needed again.

George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote