Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:24 AM   #1
Square dinkum...5ver to to Alaska??

I've hear everything from "oooh taking your FWTH to Alaska will destroy it", to "oh it's all good". I need some straight info about hauling my rig to Anchorage. Planning on a summer trip to visit the grand kid if fuel is not 10 bucks a gal by then. Have a 40' FWTH and I'm trying to decide. Since we can stay with my daughter, I don't really have to take it....I could tent camp and motel it on my way up and back, but I'd prefer to take the rig but I keep hearing these horror stories that the higheways are terrible, no fuel available, broken axles, broken shackles, broken wheels, cabinets and dishes, windshields...blah, blah. What's the straight scoop....from you who have ACTUALLY done it, not read about it or heard from a friend of a friend of a friend. Give it to me good or bad. Thanks

RetiredFPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2012, 08:40 AM   #2
Fleetwood Owners Club
We lived in Alaska for decades. Way back when, the roads were gravel on the Alaska Highway - no longer. Our last trip from Alaska to the lower 48 (Outside, as Alaskans call it), the roads are all paved, traffic was very light, our speeds averaged about 70 mph, and we loved it.

Get a copy of the Milepost - it will tell you, mile-by-mile, what to expect. Best investment there is for those heading north.

The MILEPOST: Alaska Travel Guide and Trip Planner

Alaska (and Canada) has (have) become quite civilized since the gravel highway days...

Joe and Debbie, Emma the Aussie Cattle Dog who adopted us
2012 Discovery 36J, Blue Ox and Air Force One, 2010 GMC Acadia Toad
USAF (Ret) WDM http://wd0m.com
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:15 PM   #3
Winnebago Owners Club
Hello There!

We traveled to AK with our MH and toad in the summer of '09. It was nothing like all the horror stories I had heard. The Alaska Highway through Canada and into Alaska is a very nice roadway. I found the vast majority of it perfectly fine 50-55 mph highway. You could go faster, I suppose, but take time to enjoy the scenery!

Yes, there are places with road construction (rebuilding) - you simply slow down and take your time over those gravel areas. We had been told that if on a gravel stretch of road and a vehicle was coming at you at a high rate of speed to slow down, pull over to the far right - stop if need be - and then continue.

There is an ongoing major problem with the Alaska Highway in the Yukon between Destruction Bay and the Alaska border. Some years ago, during a road rebuilding project, the construction company dug down too far and got into the permafrost layer. It has been patched up many times and a permanent solution is in the works. Maybe it's finished by now.

Frost heaves - There always will be some. Found that almost every one was marked by an orange cone or marker of some sort at the shoulder. Be aware of them, watch for a marker and slow down. One neat warning system is to follow another vehicle. When you see the back end bounce up and down you know there's a bump ahead.

Availability of fuel is not such a large concern. The main paved, traveled roads have roadhouses spaced out where you can eat and maybe park overnight. Most seemed to have a fuel pump outside somewhere.

In summary - don't rush. The scenery is too grand to miss out on - use the pull-offs to get out and walk around and take a look! Be aware there are hazzards (like the nut behind the other wheel), but don't let stories get you too tensed up to enjoy the trip.

'14 Winnebago Vista 35F, '14 GMC Terrain
BlueOx Towing Pkg, SMI Stay-n-Play
49 States & 7 Provinces visited in MH | WIT W112365
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:32 PM   #4
Went in 1959 with a 4 door car towing a 21ft single axle TT. Made it then, you can do it now.

Take lots of pics !!!
Don and Mary
'00 Bluebird Skoolie Conversion
Geo Tracker/Dodge Neon/Aprilia Scooter towed
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:44 PM   #5
Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Did it 3 times in the last 6 years. Twice by motorcycle the other time in a small motor home. You will collect some rock chips and nicks maybe lose your windshield. But it is well worth it. A veteran of travelling it told me after I already had a cracked windshield, if you see someone coming really fast edge over into his lane until they get the idea. I had 3 rock hits just from one crazy fast driver. You will have construction zones. You will be sorry if you don't take it.
2010 Dutch Star 4333
2009 Honda Accord- Brakemaster
what next is offline   Reply With Quote