Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2016, 03:49 PM   #1

SR 12 in Washington

Has anyone driven Washington State Road 12 from Yakima west to I5? We are planning a trip this summer and wondering if this is a viable RV road. Have accidentally been on a few narrow, no shoulder cliff hangers and prefer a calmer driving experience.
We have a smaller class A with toad and ample horsepower.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2016, 03:51 PM   #2

Nice drive, but slow. Lots of ups and downs.

450Donn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 04:31 PM   #3

Right now Hiway 12 is 1 lane near the summit both east and west bound. I'm not sure but I believe heavy rains caused the road to washout in several places. US 12 is narrow and windy climbing up from Yakima and down to just before you get to Packwood. After Packwood the only problem is a 55 mph speed limit. Two lane most of the way and truckers seem to like this route.

Pretty drive with the Tieton River on your left on the climb up to White Pass. Also the powers that be are constantly working on the road and some of the narrower sections have been widened. I wouldn't rule it out for your rig. I'm sure I've used it in the MH just can't remember which trip. One of our favorite rides on a Harley.

WSDOT - White Pass Road and Weather Conditions
seeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 10:22 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
No problem at all. It's not 60mph like i-90, but much much nicer scenery.
Old 01-31-2016, 11:33 PM   #5

I agree, you shouldn't have any problems and a scenic drive. Our favorite campground along the route is Taidnapam, a Tacoma City Light park. Nice spots, some drive throughs, on a lake, some hookups (I think water and electric but there may full hookups in the new section).
Old 02-01-2016, 12:18 PM   #6

This is an excellent road for RVers. Many drive it. I don't understand the comment of it being narrow. It's a typical two-lane road. It's not narrow. It's also not what I would call winding. No, it's not straight as an arrow but it also doesn't have hairpin turns. It has gentle curves in places. We've driven it many times with our 40' motorhome.

The issue right now is a mudslide on the road due to heavy rains this winter. If you're planning for a summer drive it'll be repaired.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 12:26 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
It's a heavily used US highway. Be vigilant and drive defensively and awake/aware in the summer. No clearance or tight spot issues.
Old 02-01-2016, 03:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
This is an excellent road for RVers. Many drive it. I don't understand the comment of it being narrow. It's a typical two-lane road. It's not narrow. It's also not what I would call winding. No, it's not straight as an arrow but it also doesn't have hairpin turns. It has gentle curves in places. We've driven it many times with our 40' motorhome.

The issue right now is a mudslide on the road due to heavy rains this winter. If you're planning for a summer drive it'll be repaired.
x2
i agree 100%, don't understand where others are going
it a good 2 lane highway that is very scenic
usually drive it a couple times a year in a 40 footer with a toad
Old 02-01-2016, 05:17 PM   #9

Since we live in the northern part of the State, we usually cross on SR-20, from Anacortes over to Winthrop. It usually gets closed in mid-October through early April because of snow-drift blockages, but it's a beautiful drive when the weather cooperates.

« EZ Pass | I-10 »