Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-29-2015, 06:17 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
St. Antonio Tx

Leaving McAllen Tx last of April pulling a 35ft FW going to Ada Ok and traveling on highway 281, how congested is St. Antonio traffic ? When is best time to go through there? And what's the best route to Ada Ok? I want to stay away from I 35 north construction.
Vetl82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2015, 06:47 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
I traveled 281 from Evant to Hico this last week, then over to Glen Rose and 67 thru Cleburne. I would say on any large city your best bet is to go thru early Saturday or Sunday morning. But from the valley to Ada OK, your big city to worry about would be Ft Worth, not San Antonio. If you can make San Antonio around 10am weekdays you should have no problem. Then Ft Worth on a weekend maybe. If you are traveling in no hurry, I can recommend Blanco State Park, north of San Antonio. Pie happy hour at Blue Bonnet Cafe in Marble Falls (parking is a challenge, stay overnight at River View RV Park). Dinosaur Valley State Park in Glen Rose. Should be a great trip and good time of year to travel. Happy Trails.

ronspradley
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 11:08 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Ronspradley , do you know anything about Bent Tree Rv Park near Lamparas Tx ? We were going to Jacksboro Tx and crossover to I35 to head to Ada Ok from there.
Vetl82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 05:07 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
I have never camped at Bent Tree but did drive thru a couple of years ago. In mostly open pasture with some trees, not much in extras. It is maybe 10 miles out of town, south of Lampasas. I think it is still Passport America. Should be OK for an overnighter.

ronspradley

Old 03-29-2015, 05:39 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
281 is a great route, travel from Granbury to SA and back several times a year! Our daughter, SIL and 3 grandkids live on the north side of SA just off 281.

SA is just like any other major city, stay off the main roads in normal rush hour times!

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 05:42 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vetl82 View Post
Ronspradley , do you know anything about Bent Tree Rv Park near Lamparas Tx ? We were going to Jacksboro Tx and crossover to I35 to head to Ada Ok from there.
I have travelled that route half a dozen times in the last 3 years on the way to MO. You are wise to take 281 to Jacksboro, and miss Ft Worth. I assume you are taking 380 from there? We have taken 380 to Decatur then cut across on 51 to Gainesville. 51 is a little bumpy, and only saves 12 mi, so I would probably stay on 380. After the 1st trip, we turned off at Davis and passed through Ada the last to avoid OKC, and caught I-44 at Stroud..

Since we live in Spicewood, we have never stayed in Lampassas so I can't help you with Bent Wood. We have stayed at Coffee Creek a couple times, just north of I-20. It is a nice park. 281 through San Antonio is like any other big city. Beware of the S curves. There are some pretty drastic curves that can catch you off guard.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 06:03 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronspradley View Post
........ Pie happy hour at Blue Bonnet Cafe in Marble Falls (parking is a challenge, stay overnight at River View RV Park). ronspradley

Vetl82, Ron is spot on with his advice! River View is in Marble Falls on Hwy 281 & Lake Marble Falls, only ~20 miles south of Bent Tree and well worth the stop. The Blue Bonnet Café is across the street (Hwy 281) and is renowned for their home cooked meals and homemade bread & pies. If your tastes are more urban, there is a Chili's, River City Grill, and Chinese Food within 1/2 mile.

I live 12 miles north of Marble Falls and eat regularly at the Blue Bonnet. I have also camped @ River View when friends travel through and want a quick layover. Bent tree is basically a pasture as stated without nearby amenities . It is located midway between Burnet and Lampasas. PM me if you need anything while in the area or if you would like my contact info. Enjoy your travels in the Hill Country!

-David

PS. Drove 281 to Hamilton yesterday and there is some shoulder construction work in the Evant area north of Lampasas. Nothing to be concerned about but be sure to notice the 65mph limit... normally 75mph on that stretch.
Thunderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 06:11 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by texnet View Post
281 is a great route, travel from Granbury to SA and back several times a year! Our daughter, SIL and 3 grandkids live on the north side of SA just off 281.

SA is just like any other major city, stay off the main roads in normal rush hour times!
Ronnie, is there an RV park you'd recommend in Granbury? We have a car show there in April and would like to bring the MH & trailer. The show is held @ the Hilton on the lake. Thanks for any info

/thread hijack
Old 03-29-2015, 09:12 PM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
Closest I have camped to Grandbury is at Dinosaur Valley SP near Glen Rose. But I prefer state parks to private.

ronspradley

Old 03-29-2015, 09:17 PM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderfoot View Post
Ronnie, is there an RV park you'd recommend in Granbury? We have a car show there in April and would like to bring the MH & trailer. The show is held @ the Hilton on the lake. Thanks for any info

/thread hijack
Bennett's Camping Center in Granbury has a private campground behind the dealership. We stayed there after buying our Excel.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 09:21 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Ron & Russell, thanks for the info!
Old 03-29-2015, 09:37 PM   #12

When I travel from Corpus to Dallas I take I35N in San Antonio. But you're correct there is a lot of road work all the way from San Antonio to Hillsboro Tx and it can be very congested and backed up. I also take the I30 in Buda Tx and go around Austin, every single time. I think next time I'll be taking 77 to Waco. And or 281 just to see the country side.
mikensallyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 09:55 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfife View Post
Bennett's Camping Center in Granbury has a private campground behind the dealership. We stayed there after buying our Excel.

wow looks and sound very nice. That's on our itinerary now tks/Mikey
mikensallyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 10:01 PM   #14

Excel Owners Club
Avoid I-35. 281 is our favorite. 77 is good.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote