Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2013, 08:15 PM   #1
2LT

Triple E Owners Club
St. Louis, MO -

Any advice on traveling through the city of St. Louis - is it worth it to take the bypass 255 to the south approaching the city on I-64 heading west toward Kansas City or is it better to just stay on I-64 and go straight through downtown ? I know -- probably good advice to avoid rush hour commute traffic in the mornings and late afternoons/evening -- but other times of the day which is best?

Thanks for any help.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2013, 08:13 AM   #2

Avoiding St. Louis is always on my mind. I have gone North of the city a couple of times but it isn't really any better. You have to run 2 lane road, while during the daylight and if it's not raining it's not too bad. Not something I would want to do in the dark or heavy rain, especially with my rig.

Avoiding the 6am to 9am and the 4pm to 7pm time slots is the best and then just follow whatever your GPS tells you. (or map) Once you get in the groove of the traffic it moves pretty well. For me I stay all the way to the Right at all times keeping an eye out for the "exit Only" signs and then slide one lane left as soon as I see that sign. There are a few idiots that try to then pass on the right but most are just getting off at the exit. I do maintain the average speed of most vehicles as to not create a domino effect.

Rod

Old 07-04-2013, 08:54 AM   #3

Google maps say that I64 junction with I255, north to I270, west to I70, is 34 miles and 34 minutes, with good traffic flow.
I64 straight thru, to junction I270, north to I70 is 41 miles and 45 minutes with good traffic, which is unlikely.
Looks like the northern bypass would be the best bet.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:03 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
go around! My mother and daughter live in the area. I lived in the area for several years. try to avoid hours of 4 to 6 PM and 7 to 9 am.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:36 AM   #5
2LT

Triple E Owners Club
Thanks all for the advice. Looks like it is a definite 'go around' !
Old 07-04-2013, 09:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom3205 View Post
Google maps say that I64 junction with I255, north to I270, west to I70, is 34 miles and 34 minutes, with good traffic flow.
I64 straight thru, to junction I270, north to I70 is 41 miles and 45 minutes with good traffic, which is unlikely.
Looks like the northern bypass would be the best bet.
That is the route I always drive, unless we are headed to I44.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 09:58 PM   #7

I live in the area, avoid I-64 thru town, the bridge over the Mississippi is terrible and always a mess. You are much better off taking I-270 west. Be warned there is constructon on I-70 bridge over Missouri river. Follow bypass info posted on Modot message boards
chuck123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:48 PM   #8

From I-64 go north on I-255 to I-270 west. I don't know what 2 lane road lappir is referring to these directions are all interstate. The construction bypass avoids going through St.Charles and is three lanes each direction (Mo-370)
chuck123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:04 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck123 View Post
From I-64 go north on I-255 to I-270 west. I don't know what 2 lane road lappir is referring to these directions are all interstate. The construction bypass avoids going through St.Charles and is three lanes each direction (Mo-370)
One of these days I will look it up. My GPS put me on it going South last fall when I wanted to avoid going through Hannibal Missouri and St. Louis. This Spring heading North I planned on meeting a friend in St. Louis but when I got to the last Rest Area east of St Louis and made my mandatory safety check stop ( Always stop there before getting into St. Louis) I found that my potential for meeting my friend was less than 70% so I decided to "Detour" around St. Louis. Ended up on the same road (again chosen by the GPS). I don't have the luxury of a copilot so I have to rely on the GPS for en-route changes. So far I haven't been taken somewhere to much off the routes I have taken before.

Rod
Old 07-29-2013, 12:53 PM   #10
2LT

Triple E Owners Club
So Right -- do the loop around

We actually made the trip in the car and not the MH - That said, traffic through St. Louis on I-64 is heavily traveled and very busy! They are still under heavy construction on the road through part of the downtown area. Seems most of the road work is completed as you pass to the west of downtown; I-64 will be very nice once all construction is complete.
The loop around is a definite recommendation with a MH -