Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2012, 10:21 AM   #1

State Highway Suggestions

For the last few years we have been travelling from Winnipeg Manitoba down to the Myrtle Beach South Carolina area. For the most part we use the interstate system. Basicly I-29 south to Kansas City then I-70 to St. Louis. After that, depending on whom we are visiting we spread out from there. We've traveled the I-75 to Atlanta then east, I-40 from Knoxville through the gorge (the I-26 south) and even through the Virginas then I-77 south. (we are on the road for these trips 6-8 weeks). This year we are thinking about taking a little more time and relaize there will be places where the Interstate system will be the best route for the area but would like to try to drive as many state divided highways as possible on the way. Would love some comments on some nice drives for this route or some interesting sights to visit along the way (and 2300 miles one way is a nice sized trip). Because we're unfamiliar with these roads would like to stay on the divided highways during our exploring. We average about 400 miles or so when we are using the intersates but don't mind taking a few more days traveling there or home for the experience. If you google Winnipeg to Myrtle Beach there is a lot of country between. Also will be attending a wedding in Oak Island North Carolina so if anyone has some suggestions for camping in that area it would be great also. We love staying in the state parks but have also stayed in some most wonderful private parks. Let the suggestions begin! The more the better for we have a few months to plan this next adventure. Thanks in advance for all your suggestions
luvmydolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2012, 05:39 PM   #2

Check out this resource - you can even order a book for free! America's Byways®: National Scenic Byways Online
Old 12-15-2012, 06:36 PM   #3

I am sure that National Geographics has some interesting drives outlined too. But you have to subscribe to look at them ... we have a collection of booklets for the entire US from them that we have used for years ... but they are out of print ...

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 01:33 AM   #4

Thanks for the info. Ordered a Byway map.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:19 AM   #5

[ moderator edit ]

Luvmydolphin,

There are some nice roads south of Kansas City; leading from Springfield to Cairo, Illinois, then limited access highway through Kentucky to I-65. We have driven this route towing a car trailer and, even though some roads are two lane, had no real problems. Two lane highways, though, do require more attention from the driver. Thinking back the only real issue I had was the narrow bridges around Cairo and the Mississippi river.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:44 AM   #6

I think we did those bridges on the way back from South Carolina last year. If I'm not mistaken there were two. Yes they were very narrow. I"m driving a 37 ft with a toad and was hoping that where would be no wind and was so glad when was off the first bridge, then a couple of curves later came the second bridge. That was the the crossing into Missouri correct? The drive north to St. Louis was very beautiful from there. Thanks for the response. Funny how we remember those bridges.