Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2017, 08:56 AM   #1

State Of U.S. Roads

Since starting out our big trip in May, we have traveled the roads and highways in Florida, Alabama, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, Ontario Canada, and now Michigan. For the most part, we have traveled on interstate highways, rural, state and county roads and roads in small town. And for the most part have found the roads to be in deplorable conditions. Most days we wonder at what point the coach is going to begin to virtually fall apart from the pounding. The roads in Canada are marginally better and road construction is ongoing in many places. In the U.S. there is no indication that anything is happening to improve these roads any time soon. IMO, if construction started today, most of these roads would never get repaired in my lifetime, or my childrens. Often we hold our breath traveling under bridges that large pieces don't fall off on us. Don't get me wrong, other than the jostling while traveling, We're having a wonderful time. Our destination is WEST and we keep hoping things are going to improve. Perhaps those that have come before us can offer some advise as to what we are going to find. I suspect it is going to be more of the same. Is it possibly just the states and roads we have chosen and we are missing the better routes? I just find this a very sad state for our country. Sorry for the long rant. Chuck
chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2017, 09:02 AM   #2

I took a nice long trip out west last year (2016). You are in for more of the same, and sometimes worse. We found many areas that warned of rough road ahead, believe it!! Ours was beaten up so badly that we even ended up with a cracked windshield. Some of the roughest areas were the transition from highway to bridge. In many areas it was like driving over a curb. We too had a great time, but the roads mostly interstates can be a challenge.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 11:56 AM   #3

we returned from a 3-month trip out west and then out to ohio before returning home to illinois in late may. illinois roads are generally bad. coming home from dayton via I-70/I-465/I-74 we found 70 and 465 around indy to be ok, not good but ok. I-74 between indy and the illinois line was pretty good but i could tell when we crossed into illinois cuz the road felt like we were running on railroad ties.

heading to phoenix last march we found I-44/I-40/I-17 to be pretty good except in and around cities and crossing bridges. st. louis was horrible and like the OP i thought the MH was gonna shake itself apart. parts of 40 thru amarillo weren't rough as much as it felt like a roller coaster. albuquerque was probably the "best" city in terms of a rough road but 40 approaching flagstaff and I-17 sb between flagstaff and sedona was excruciatingly bad. we ted to favor the bypass routes around big cities where they are available unless impractical but they too can be terrible.

given the sad state if american highways i'm continually in amazed that our RVs hold together as well as they do.
Old 06-30-2017, 01:04 PM   #4

Not trying in anyway to start a flame war but I find Us road atrocious compared to European roads.
Old 06-30-2017, 01:28 PM   #5

from a Forbes article;

"There’s a real irony in raiding general revenues to keep the trust fund solvent -- the gas tax's problems started when Congress raided the trust fund to keep the government solvent. In 1990 Congress approved an increase in the gas tax but allotted only half of the new revenue to building projects. The other half was dedicated to deficit reduction – which then, as now, was all the rage. In 1993 Congress approved another gas tax hike and again devoted some of the revenue to deficit reduction.

In 1997 Congress redirected all gas tax revenues to the Highway Trust Fund, and the levy returned to its former role as a user fee. But the damage was done.

For decades, the gas tax had been remarkably well tolerated, thanks to its relative invisibility at the pump. But the tax was also earmarked for something that taxpayers actually wanted.

The relative popularity of the gas tax wasn’t lost on politicians – or historians, for that matter. “Because of its purpose and rationale,” wrote John Chynoweth Burnham in 1961, “this tax was not subject to the usual social resistances to taxation.”

What was true in 1961, however, is no longer true today."

The raiding of the Gas Tax fund is not left to the Feds but was also used by the States - so the damage is done - the only way is for a massive spending and Implementation bill to be passed by Congress - I would guess part of that Bill will be an Increase in the Gas Tax - With the money dedicated to one thing Highways and Bridges.

If not then we will all need to learn to drive very slowly if at all.

JMHO,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 02:39 PM   #6

LA Gulf Coast Campers
If there is a pool of money somewhere, be it gas tax, social security, government retirement fund, atv, snowmobile or boat registration a politician will covet it and find a way to "misappropriate" it. That way they sneak by without raising taxes.
Old 06-30-2017, 02:47 PM   #7
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
from a Forbes article;

"There’s a real irony in raiding general revenues to keep the trust fund solvent -- the gas tax's problems started when Congress raided the trust fund to keep the government solvent. In 1990 Congress approved an increase in the gas tax but allotted only half of the new revenue to building projects. The other half was dedicated to deficit reduction – which then, as now, was all the rage. In 1993 Congress approved another gas tax hike and again devoted some of the revenue to deficit reduction.

In 1997 Congress redirected all gas tax revenues to the Highway Trust Fund, and the levy returned to its former role as a user fee. But the damage was done.

For decades, the gas tax had been remarkably well tolerated, thanks to its relative invisibility at the pump. But the tax was also earmarked for something that taxpayers actually wanted.

The relative popularity of the gas tax wasn’t lost on politicians – or historians, for that matter. “Because of its purpose and rationale,” wrote John Chynoweth Burnham in 1961, “this tax was not subject to the usual social resistances to taxation.”

What was true in 1961, however, is no longer true today."

The raiding of the Gas Tax fund is not left to the Feds but was also used by the States - so the damage is done - the only way is for a massive spending and Implementation bill to be passed by Congress - I would guess part of that Bill will be an Increase in the Gas Tax - With the money dedicated to one thing Highways and Bridges.

If not then we will all need to learn to drive very slowly if at all.

JMHO,
States are good at asking for monies to fix the roads and better at moving it to other parts of the budget for all of the little "pet" projects. In my opinion, most "politicians" are nothing more than car salesmen in disguise.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 03:06 PM   #8

We discovered the old highways before the ones titled "I" got crappy.
Not reaching for a "bridge too far" and slowing down to see Americana is grand!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 03:16 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
In Utah, sound walls were popping up all over the place, shielding new neighborhoods from highway noise. My 6' agrcultural chain link fence was $10 per foot in 1990, I cannot imagine how much a 10' high cement wall might be. But you can be assured the taxpayer paid for it. We have reader boards every 10 miles or so, at several million each. For what?
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 04:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC2 View Post
States are good at asking for monies to fix the roads and better at moving it to other parts of the budget for all of the little "pet" projects. In my opinion, most "politicians" are nothing more than car salesmen in disguise.
that's an insult to car salesmen everywhere!
Old 06-30-2017, 05:31 PM   #11
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
that's an insult to car salesmen everywhere!
Your right; my apologies. �� Not
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 05:43 PM   #12

Gas taxes are not the problem here.
When the highway system was built post WWII too personal income tax rate on earnings over 2 million dollars was 90%. JFK dropped it yo 70% and in the 80s Ronald thought 39% would be enough and deductions for things like credit card interest should be eliminated.
By the way corporations like Exxon and GE actually paid taxes as well.
Ohh to have those 70s roads once again.
Old 06-30-2017, 06:13 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckbear View Post
Since starting out our big trip in May, we have traveled the roads and highways in Florida, Alabama, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, Ontario Canada, and now Michigan. For the most part, we have traveled on interstate highways, rural, state and county roads and roads in small town. And for the most part have found the roads to be in deplorable conditions.
Well the USA is a big country and weather is a major issue with road maintenance. The freeze thaw process and salt used on the roads is a major factor. In the south heat can buckle roads.

I think the road are in great condition from what they were in the past. Modern technology has allowed for continuous pore of cement, tar and composite roadways. In the past there were many seams in the roads.

Those that think that roads were better in the 70s/80s are forgetting that cities were in decay during that time and diverted funds for road mtc. to other areas. The roads were terrible.

I've ridden roads that I would say are as smooth as silk and I can understand how drivers might fall asleep on them.

Today's roadways are a modern marvel.

Add to all of this is that the population has grown and the miles driven have increased dramatically. Least we forget highway truck miles with their heavy loads have also increased.

Enjoy your travels.
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 08:01 PM   #14

Interstates in northern Calif, all of Oregon and Washington, are decent....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote