Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2015, 12:50 AM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Sudden Departure. Best Route Opinions Needed.

We are leaving central Oregon this week and relocating to Myrtle Beach via CA,AZ,NM,OK TN,GA,SC. We are taking the HR Neptune towing my Indian and our F250 diesel towing a cargo trailer.

We are thinking of taking I-5 to Bakersfield Hwy 58 to Barstow, and then I-40 to Memphis, then 78/22 to Birmingham. Then hwy 20 to Florence SC and last 501 to the Beach.

We are looking for the fastest route. The Google map link is the route we are considering.

Has anyone traveled this area? How is the weather this time of year?

Thanks,eh?

Brad

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Suth...0603!3e0?hl=en

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2015, 01:25 AM   #2

This time of the year I-40 across eastern NM, the panhandle of Texas, and western Oklahoma can turn brutal in a winter storm. Check the weather reports often when traveling that way. They are having a fairly heavy storm north of I40 (northern panhandle of Texas and panhandle of Oklahoma.

Old 12-14-2015, 08:55 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by draboo View Post
We are leaving central Oregon this week and relocating to Myrtle Beach via CA,AZ,NM,OK TN,GA,SC. We are taking the HR Neptune towing my Indian and our F250 diesel towing a cargo trailer.

We are thinking of taking I-5 to Bakersfield Hwy 58 to Barstow, and then I-40 to Memphis, then 78/22 to Birmingham. Then hwy 20 to Florence SC and last 501 to the Beach.

We are looking for the fastest route. The Google map link is the route we are considering.

Has anyone traveled this area? How is the weather this time of year?

Thanks,eh?

Brad

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Suth...0603!3e0?hl=en
We're doing a good portion of your itinerary (Southern California east through AZ, NM, TX, etc.) in reverse later this week, so I've been following the weather pretty closely. If you hit I10 east out of Southern Cal mid week, you should pretty much be in good shape on I40 through to GA the remainder of the week. Safe Travels.....
ABrask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 10:39 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It is snowing on Hwy 58 in Tehachapi, CA and on I40 from Ash Fork to Flagstaff, AZ right now. Don' know if it will last very long, but keep an eye on it.

Glenn
Old 12-14-2015, 10:59 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yeah…we're planning on cutting down to I-10 out of Albuquerque on our west-bound trip to avoid I-40 from Flagstaff west, but the storm that's in the Panhandle area now looks to be moving out before we arrive. Fingers crossed!
ABrask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 01:00 PM   #6

I'd also advise not taking I-40...drop down to I-10. Good luck!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 02:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
I'd also advise not taking I-40...drop down to I-10. Good luck!
Did the I5, 58 and then I40 to Flagstaff a month ago. Came back via I10 and 210 much preferred it. 58 and I 40 are an interesting and beautiful drive but the signs were already up warning to watch for spots of ice. You are over 7K feet by the time you get to Flagstaff.

It is winter in Southern Oregon and Siskiyou Summit was actually closed for some time last night because of so many spin outs. Watch tripcheck.com and hit the pass at a good time.

avid
2015 Bay Star 3103, 2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
Falcon 2 All terrain tow bar, RVi2 brake, Towmate TM3 wireless lights
avid_dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 03:00 PM   #8

As long as you keep an eye on weather and can travel between storms, I-40 is not a problem. It is a very busy trucking route. However, as pointed out Flagstaff to Amarillo can be trouble. 58 can get concerning if a storm as well. I've driven the I-5/Hwy58/I-40 route many times, just watch the weather and you will be fine. You can also get ice issues east of Amarillo, so again just watch the weather.

If weather looks like it will mess up your plans, go south to I-10 and drive that for a lot less chance of winter weather issues.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 03:16 PM   #9

Chains were required on I-5 in southern Oregon this morning - I don't know the status at this moment but forecasters were predicting more snow this morning. Do watch the weather. Check the odot cameras Weather and web cams courtesy of Medford Fuel / Pacific Pride
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 08:32 PM   #10

I don't know if you are gone yet, but once you get over the hills here in Southern OR and CA on I-5 you could just continue on down to LA and pick up I-10 there. We went into Memphis on I-40 to 78 and Birmingham last Summer and there was a lot of construction going on in Memphis on 40 and 240. I don't know how it would be now.

Best of luck and stay safe.

Steve
Old 12-17-2015, 09:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dix39 View Post
We went into Memphis on I-40 to 78 and Birmingham last Summer and there was a lot of construction going on in Memphis on 40 and 240. I don't know how it would be now.
I don't think they'll be doing construction at this time on I-40. The snowplows are running! Lots of snow in the west right now. Be careful.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 11:55 AM   #12

I wouldn't think the snow plows would be running in and around Memphis which is where the construction was. It took hours of bumper to bumper stop and go traffic to get from I-40 to 78 which was good once we got there.

We have travelled I-40 a lot and I'm sure there is snow there, especially in the higher elevations.

Take care.

Steve
Old 12-18-2015, 09:44 PM   #13

This website IMO is the best real-time information on the internet for travelers.One Stop Shop for Traveler Information
Want to know the current weather in Albq_ open one of the traffic cameras and view what's happening.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 05:35 AM   #14

Great website. Thank you for sharing it.