Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2013, 02:49 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Suggestions for Pittsburgh,Pa. to Grand Canyon

Maybe someone can suggest some of the better condition roads and routes to take from Pittsburgh,Pa. to the Grand Canyon area across our country. We are planning to travel 10 hrs + per day to get out there then spend most of a months time in Arizona and Utah before heading home. My thoughts are to start in Arizona and finish up in Utah and head back across through Colorado. Maybe someone can suggest a route other than interstate riding that moves along just as good but more to look at while traveling. Road condition being the first factor. Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2013, 03:05 PM   #2

Based on my recent travels back & forth between the coasts, most of what you see will be this:

I chose to run the interstates 94, 90, 80, 70, 40, 10 to get the maximum miles per day when driving east-west. There was very little in middle America that I felt was worth slowing down to see.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:18 PM   #3

Palehorse ...

I think you have requested information about road conditions for a great distance ... I think you will get a better response if you break your route into three or four segments ... for instance I have travelled some of the roads in the west but have travelled very few roads east of Chicago so I am unable to give you advice on roads ...

There are some major historical places to visit between PA and Flagstaff ... give us some hints of what you are interested in seeing ...

There are four places that I recommend you see in AZ ... the grand canyon, Antelope canyon (Paige), desert museum(Tucson), Tombstone/Bisbee

In UT: Arches, Canyonlands, Bryce, Captol Reef, Escalante, and lastly Zion ... ... we have visited Utah several times ... we have become enamored with the beauty of this place ... I suggest you allocate twice as much time to Utah as you do to Arizona

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:28 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by skigramp View Post
Palehorse ...

I think you have requested information about road conditions for a great distance ... I think you will get a better response if you break your route into three or four segments ... for instance I have travelled some of the roads in the west but have travelled very few roads east of Chicago so I am unable to give you advice on roads ...

There are some major historical places to visit between PA and Flagstaff ... give us some hints of what you are interested in seeing ...

There are four places that I recommend you see in AZ ... the grand canyon, Antelope canyon (Paige), desert museum(Tucson), Tombstone/Bisbee

In UT: Arches, Canyonlands, Bryce, Captol Reef, Escalante, and lastly Zion ... ... we have visited Utah several times ... we have become enamored with the beauty of this place ... I suggest you allocate twice as much time to Utah as you do to Arizona
We are not going to tour on the way out, I was just asking for the best roads and routes based on folks that have traveled in this path I am going to take. Our month long trip is just for out in Arizona and Utah short of the days of driving to get there and back. Thanks for your ideas