Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2013, 10:25 AM   #1

Suggestions on route: Central Ohio to Wisconsin

We will likely take I-70 East out of the Columbus area and through Indianapolis. From there it looks like we can head north (I-65) which takes us right into, or close to, Chicago which I'm not sure about (coach and toad 58 feet) and would rather avoid. That route looks like I-70 to I-65 to I-90.

Considering our destination is the Dells, I am looking at I-70 to Bloomington IL then I-39 North to I-90.

Any experience, thoughts, cautions, or suggestions welcome.

Thanks

Roll

2011 Coachmen Encounter 37TZ Ford F-53,BluOx/Patriot.Toad:2012 Wrangler Unltd Sahara. Invert-4/6Vbatts-SolarChg-AutoTransSw-WG traveler-HDMICbls-SafeTPlus-track bar-Awnings-GenAutoSt-CHF-pwr cord storage sys-Garmin-outsideHDTV, LED interior lighting, Brazels tuning.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2013, 02:18 PM   #2

Take I-70 all the way to I-39. Its only about 20 minutes longer and would avoid Chicago.

Old 08-23-2013, 06:24 PM   #3

I'd take I-74 to Bloomington Illinois then 39 North
Old 08-23-2013, 06:52 PM   #4

I would drive an extra 100 miles to avoid Chicago. Tolls are expensive and toll booths seem to be every 5 miles. Some are very confusing - I ended up off the interstate because I got in the wrong lane. Stay far away from Chicago!
Old 08-23-2013, 06:55 PM   #5

i would go 74 to Bloomington - i39 north - to rockford i39 i90 north.
i live in Rockford and like that way a lot better than through Indiana.
bottom end of i39 you can run pretty fast 70-75 mph most of the time.
get around 80 mile marker to 115 be closer to 70mph. its 65 mph in Illinois. you have a short part of i39-90 that is tollway. 1 toll only.
Old 08-23-2013, 07:07 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChallengerRN View Post
I'd take I-74 to Bloomington Illinois then 39 North
Ditto. We were in Wisc Dells this past wknd (car not RV trip). 70W/465S around Indy/74W/39N/90-94. It was 100 mi/1hr longer, but there was no way we were going anywhere near Chicago. Google originally wanted us to do 23N/30W/90W....right through downtown Chi.

Construction this side of Richmond has lanes narrowed & split. Short toll-road section near Rockford.

You'll be seeing a lot of these on 74W:

Lori-
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000041.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	174.7 KB
ID:	44639  
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:21 PM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have to agree. STAY FAR FAR FAR AWAY FROM CHICAGO!!!

If you happen to get off at the wrong exit you can expect to get a bullet right between your eyes and then you and your rig will be picked "clean" by the savages. Believe me, Chicago is my home town. I lived there for 40 years. The south side is an area where tourist suckers lives are measured in seconds.
Old 08-23-2013, 07:31 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackfish View Post
Take I-70 all the way to I-39. Its only about 20 minutes longer and would avoid Chicago.
70 dips SW to St.Louis & doesn't cross 39 (which ends in Bloomington). 74W gets you to 39N.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:01 AM   #9

Thank you all for the advice. Since every post says the same thing, avoid Chicago at all costs, I think we will avoid Chicago. We do plan to make this an easy drive and so will spend one night out each way. Probably the same campground unless we just don't like it.

Can you suggest a decent place to stop for a nights sleep somewhere in the ILL area say the general area including or between Bloomington and Peru perhaps?

Again, thank you all,

Gary and Cindy
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37TZ Ford F-53,BluOx/Patriot.Toad:2012 Wrangler Unltd Sahara. Invert-4/6Vbatts-SolarChg-AutoTransSw-WG traveler-HDMICbls-SafeTPlus-track bar-Awnings-GenAutoSt-CHF-pwr cord storage sys-Garmin-outsideHDTV, LED interior lighting, Brazels tuning.
Old 08-24-2013, 07:18 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll View Post
We will likely take I-70 East out of the Columbus area and through Indianapolis.
Um.... if you can take 70E out of Columbus and get to Indianapolis you're doing some magical driving! I think you mean 70W out of Columbus don't you?
Old 08-24-2013, 07:26 AM   #11

also i 90 from randall road to rockford is down to 1 lane. about 40 miles @ 45mph.
Old 08-24-2013, 02:31 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94-Newmar View Post
Um.... if you can take 70E out of Columbus and get to Indianapolis you're doing some magical driving! I think you mean 70W out of Columbus don't you?
LOL yep, that would be magical and I am not magical.

From Columbus it is I-70 West to Indianapolis. We did recently take I-70 East into PA, (Gettysburg and Harrisburg) . Perhaps I was having a retro brain fart. :-)
Old 08-24-2013, 04:46 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
70 dips SW to St.Louis & doesn't cross 39 (which ends in Bloomington). 74W gets you to 39N.

Lori-
You are correct, I meant I-74.
Old 08-24-2013, 05:51 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll View Post

LOL yep, that would be magical and I am not magical.

From Columbus it is I-70 West to Indianapolis. We did recently take I-70 East into PA, (Gettysburg and Harrisburg) . Perhaps I was having a retro brain fart. :-)
Just thinking. If you go East far enough from Columbus Ohio you will get to Indianapolis Just thinking??