Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2013, 11:42 AM   #1

Sunshine skyway bridge Tampa

We have a big rig motor home almost 14 ft high. Can we cross Sunshine Skyway Bridge heading south from Tampa? Can we get through the toll gate? Any cautions or advice? Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2013, 11:47 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You are fine on the Bridge. If high winds present there will be a flashing signal teling you of wind. doesn't happen very often. Call Florida State High department and ask about toll booths. I think you are ok, but call and check. Also get an ezpass as all Fl toll ways will be going to cash less toll booths. It is a real pain in the backside to get to a toll booth and stop and trying to reach out to pay. Safe travels... ed

Old 12-30-2013, 11:57 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Many trucks can be 13'6", so I would guess the tolls accommodate them.
Curious, what rig do you have that is that high? I thought a Newell was tall, but they are max 13' 3".
Old 12-30-2013, 12:26 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Have you ever gone over that bridge? I have numerous times on a bike and in a car/truck and hated it every time. I started just looking at ways around it.

Oh and it's one that people are drawn to to jump off of, sometimes just for fun and sometimes not for fun and almost all do not make it. The bridge is high and hitting the water from that height is not good. They shut the traffic down when there's a jumper trying to jump or just jumped.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by demoon View Post
Many trucks can be 13'6", so I would guess the tolls accommodate them.
Curious, what rig do you have that is that high? I thought a Newell was tall, but they are max 13' 3".
X2 - what rig is over 13' 6"? not a good idea IMHO
Old 12-31-2013, 09:03 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
They will not let you on the bridge if the wind speed high enough to be unsafe.

Back in the 1980's I was driving on the bridge and a helicopter was flying along side of me. I think that was before a ship hit one of the piers and knocked a rood section down.

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 04:56 PM   #7

Have been across it in 25 knot winds pulling the trailer no problem, but that thing sure is up there.
Old 01-01-2014, 05:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef and BJ View Post
We have a big rig motor home almost 14 ft high. Can we cross Sunshine Skyway Bridge heading south from Tampa? Can we get through the toll gate? Any cautions or advice? Thanks!
I have traveled many times and it is approximately 200 feet at the center and I hope that you are not afraid is heights. If you're diving in the right hand lane, with the guard rails being very low, you will see nothing but water outside the windows.

To play it safe and depending on where you are in Tampa, you may want to take 75 south as an alternate.
Old 01-01-2014, 05:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Never heard back re your RV that is almost 14ft, Are you certain it is over 13'6"? Do you understand anything over 13'6" requires special approvals in many perhaps most jurisdictions.
Old 01-01-2014, 06:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Monaco shows the Endeavor height at 12'7" to the top of the A/C units. A sat dome might be a few inches taller but no more than 13'6"". The Skyway will be no problem but you can just go down I75 and save the toll unless you want to see the view from the top.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 06:08 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
If you are street legal you can clear the toll booth. Stay to the right side for the widest lane. What kind of MH do you have that is pushing 14 ft high? That would create more problems than just crossing the Skyway.
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 06:09 PM   #12

i live there along time if the lights say you cant go dont go most of the time the winds are long and you well get a high feeling but its hard to look over the side and there not much to see
Old 01-05-2014, 07:09 PM   #13
doc

Appalachian Campers
'nearly 14 feet' My old pappy used to say, "it takes a big hog to weigh a ton". It takes a really tall coach to be 14 feet. Not sure I ever saw one that high.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:15 PM   #14

At last check, Newmar King Aire at 13'4" is the tallest, beating the Newell and Prevost by an inch or two. We think Newmar does it for fun, just to poke fun at the WAY more expensive coaches.