Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2017, 02:48 PM   #1

SW parks this winter

We plan to go to events in Quartzsite AZ and Austin TX this winter. We have a little over two weeks in between. We would like to visit Organ Pipe Cactus NM, Saguaro NP, White Sands NM, Guadalupe Mt NP, Carlsbad Caverns NP, Big Bend NP, and possibly Seminole Canyon SP (TX.)

My wife is a desert fan, not me particularly. We both like dark skies and still nights. We want to do some free or cheap dry camping alternated with full hookups. We're driving a 2016 Thor ACE 39.2, 31 feet long, no toad.

Anything on the list worthy of a miss? Anything along the way we should be sure to add? Recommendations for camping? Route suggestions for any of the legs?
K6NCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2017, 02:54 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Oliver Lee State Park, 15 minute drive south of Alamogordo, NM. Excellent views across the open desert.

A good jump off point for White Sands.. A toad would be nice, but not mandatory...
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 02:58 PM   #3

I just gave the following answer in your other post.... one of the posts will probably be closed.

Your whole list is excellent. We've been to them all. With only two weeks to spare if you want to eliminate any I'd suggest Guadalupe NP and possibly White Sands. Also, Carlsbad is great but if you want to see a living cave then see Kartchner Caverns at the State Park in Benson, AZ not far from I-10. It's beautifully displayed and is a great tour. There's also a nice state park campground with electric on site. Saguaro NP can be done as a drive through easily. It does have nice hiking trails though. Note that there is Saguaro East and West - no camping at either. Try to be at Seminole Canyon on the tour day. Big Bend - stay at the Rio Grande campground in a lush setting next to the river.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 07:00 AM   #4

Maverick RV Park in Lajitas. Mandatory lights out at night. Tons of stars. Good food across the street and also in Terlingua. Big Bend State park about a mile away for hiking. The rv park is paved, full hook up and cheap
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 10:51 AM   #5

I'm with 2Gypsies on this. If under a time constraint I'd skip Guadalupe/Carlsbad & White Sands. Kartchner Caverns are unbelievably beautiful and still a living cave plus the state park is a great place to park. If you can't get reservations in Organ Pipe try commercial parks in Ajo or look at boondocking in that area. Happy trails.
Old 12-18-2017, 07:28 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Tough call. I wouldn't pass White Sands by unless you travel that country regularly and have another shot at it. Its really unique, not that far out of the way and you can do a once-over-lightly in a few hours. Speaking of out of the way Big Bend really is - but its worth it if you've got a few spare days. Keep in mind there are 2 (or 3) distinct far apart environments there - the mountains and the river (and in between).

Tags
winter