Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2017, 05:18 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Birder View Post
I'll be a contrarian. I towed my 5th wheel down the Tail of the Dragon, and thought it was great fun. I think DW kept her eyes closed. Just keep it in a lower gear, and go slow.

Joel
It might have been "great fun" for you (I really doubt it), but I can guarantee you that 99.9% of the rest of the cars/motorcycles/trucks that you encountered were hating you. And if they knew that you did it on purpose.........Oh My!
xrated is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2017, 06:16 PM   #16

Looks like there was a rock slide on the southern portion of the Blue Ridge Parkway. FYI the lowest bridge is 18' center and 10.5' on the edge.

To all of the naysayers, commercial vehicles 30' and under drive this route every day. It is a public road and there are full hookup campsites in the area with no length restrictions.

Due to the rockslide, we are going to avoid the area.
Old 04-05-2017, 06:24 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Spartan Chassis
I've ridden the Tail a dozen times and I would hate to see you in the RV as I was leaning into the tight switchbacks. Like previous posters, I have seen numerous MC accidents on it. I think I am speaking for all of us on two wheeler when I say - please take a different route.
Russ - USN SWO (ret) - 2018 Dutch Star 4369 Spartan Chassis a Road Glide CVO & Dyna Switchback in an Iron horse trailer or a Jeep Unlimited Alliance Valor 40V13 toyhauler (on order) with Harley CVO ROad Glide and Dyna Switchback in the garage, pulled by a F350 DRW
Russtj60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 06:46 PM   #18

I drove it once about 10 years ago, in an F250 pickup with a slide in camper.
I was going from Tenn. into N. Carolina and it looked like the shortest distance on the map. It wasn't until I stopped at a store in N.C., where they were selling T shirts and what not about "I survived the Tail of the Dragon" that I first heard of that road.

It was not a fun ride and I don't plan on ever doing it again.
Old 04-05-2017, 06:53 PM   #19

Feel free to go through there if you don't care to be considerate to those 'having fun'. If I had to go through there in the MH I would go early AM when the road is still full of dew and before the bikers get up and out. Or after dark. You'll be going slow enough that headlights should be fine.

I've been there in cars, bikes (big twins, little two stroke singles) and a scooter. Lots of fun. I have towed an aluminum two bike trailer through there behind a car. I was going pretty fast, not needing to pull over much. Usually stayed at Fontana Village. Beautiful area. Great fishing. Cool mountain streams.

Just to brag a little:

I made the Killboy weekly highlight reel on just about everything I took down there.

It's fun to watch peolple when you pass them two up on a 150cc scooter

This is 125 cc two stroke! What a blast.
Old 04-05-2017, 07:01 PM   #20

No but I think you know that
Sarge77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 07:16 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Three words DON'T DO IT!!!!
If you do you will make the news!!
kwittintime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 08:25 AM   #22

Relax. We are not going to do it, due to a rock slide on the Blue Ridge Parkway.

The question was: has any one done it? The answer is yes.

What makes you think a small class a (under 28') would "make the news"? Lol

I have years of experience as an Over The Road driver running all over NC & TN with a 53' trailer and sleeper cab. Have scouted the road and know that commercial vehicles 30' and less run it.
Old 04-06-2017, 09:03 AM   #23

I have pulled a trailer through the Tail (Goldwing pulling a Bushtec ). No problems on the scooter.

Big RV, 5th, or TT?.. I wouldn't recommend it.
Could I??? Yes, I could make it. However, it likely would not be the most enjoyable drive I could take in an RV and I wouldn't really get to enjoy the scenery.

The biggest problem would be slowing down the other traffic and having to move left of center to negotiate the curves. As said before, just because you can, doesn't mean it's a good idea.

The Tail is best viewed from a scooter or sports car
TRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:18 AM   #24

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRebel View Post

The biggest problem would be slowing down the other traffic and having to move left of center to negotiate the curves. As said before, just because you can, doesn't mean it's a good idea.

If you absolutely have to do it in an RV, it would seem to me that it would be courteous to drive it at a time of day when the recreational drivers aren't likely to be out enjoying their ride/drive.

Of course, it is a free country, right?

Take care.
Stu
Old 04-07-2017, 05:28 AM   #25

I live near the Dragon and Sweetwater and go to Asheville often and always take I-40 in the RV or just the car. If you must do some mountain driving, consider US-74 from Clyde, NC to US-411 north to TN-68 into Sweetwater.
Big Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 05:36 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dude View Post
I live near the Dragon and Sweetwater and go to Asheville often and always take I-40 in the RV or just the car. If you must do some mountain driving, consider US-74 from Clyde, NC to US-411 north to TN-68 into Sweetwater.

Thank you!
Old 04-16-2017, 06:24 PM   #27

Ford Super Duty Owner
I think it's NOT a very good idea. You would be putting a lot of people{bikers} in danger.
dgrandusky is offline   Reply With Quote