Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:20 PM   #1
Texas Highway 290

Anybody drive Hwy 290 from I 10 to Austin? We're in a 39 ft motorhome towing Honda Element. I heard it called scenic hill country and was curious, 2 or 4 lanes and is it any faster than going thru San Antonio? Thanks, Jerry

My Avatar is my Avatar, 2003 Jayco 3800, that is.
JPMaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2012, 03:49 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
We live about 5 miles off of 290 just NW of Houston. US290 is 4-lane all the way from Houston to Austin, and the Houston to Hempstead section is all limited access freeway (NW Freeway). Once past Hempstead, it's a 4 lane all the way into Austin. You'll go through some smaller towns and encounter some traffic lights, but it's not a bad drive if you don't try it at rush hours in either Houston or Austin. The real Hill Country starts at Austin, and 290 west of Austin is much more scenic (to me) than east of Austin.

Unless I'm going to the north side of Austin, I'll drop off of 290 just past Paige and take Tx21 south to Bastrop, then catch Tx71 north where it rejoins US290 in Austin.

If you're on I-10, this is MUCH shorter and faster than going all the way to San Antonio and fighting I-35 north to Austin. In fact, the shortest alternate route from I-10 would be to catch Tx-71 north just west of Columbus and take it into Austin. This is a good road as well.

2016 Ram Longhorn 3500 Dually 4x4 CCLB, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 04:24 AM   #3
Originally Posted by JPMaly View Post
Anybody drive Hwy 290 from I 10 to Austin? We're in a 39 ft motorhome towing Honda Element. I heard it called scenic hill country and was curious, 2 or 4 lanes and is it any faster than going thru San Antonio? Thanks, Jerry
I believe JPMaly is talking about the western stretch of Hwy 290 from where it intersects IH10 near Kerrville to Austin? It is scenic. Sometimes 2 lanes, and sometimes 4 lanes. Fredericksburg, TX can be crowded on weekends when the wx is nice.

It would be faster staying on IH10 and going thru San Antonio if your headed east to say Houston or points beyond.
CURRENTLY MOTORHOMELESS!-Past MHs: 02 Monaco45'Sig,00Monaco43'Sig,99Monaco42'Exec,98Mona co42'Sig,98Newmar38'DSDP(pictured),88FW26'Jamboree .
lonestarace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 07:03 AM   #4
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by JPMaly View Post
Just a minor addition/correction. There is an area called the Hill Country and it is a beautiful area within central Texas. As the post above me indicates, it is located roughly from Austin to Kerrville (east to west) and Georgetown to north of San Antonio (north to south). If you have a couple of days it would be worth it to stay in a place like, say, Fredricksberg and visit the LBJ Ranch, the Wildseed store just east of Fred., and other places in the area. Devil's Backbone is also interesting. The early spring wildflowers are supposed to be spectacular in Texas this year so early March is a good time.
Denny & Kylene, Abby (Golden) and Josie (Sheltie),
2004 Itasca Suncruiser 38R, W22, Ultrapower
2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited
golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:18 AM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
As has been said, the 290 from I10 at Junction to Austin is a good road and scenic. At Junction (on I10 just before the turn for Hwy 290) there is a nice state park South Llano River State Park. The river thru that area is a good example of a Texas Hill Country river, very pretty. Enjoy.

1993 Gulfstream Sun Voyager DP 30'
200 HP Cummins B5.9, 4sp Allison AT542
Toad 1998 Honda CRV, 2006 Honda CRV
Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 01:33 PM   #6
Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Just did it last week coming back from "Q".
Primarily 4 lane with some 2.... F'berg is crowded on saturday but only a mile. Cheapest diesel was Johnson City on the 290/281 southbound portion. Honk nearing Austin. We're 1 mile north of 290 off Fitzhugh Rd.
Hal & Ginny Miller '04 Beaver Santiam PRT40
'04 Saturn Vue - US Gear Brake - Blue Ox tow
4 "girls" (3 Irish Setters - Retriever)
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 02:49 PM   #7
Damon Owners Club
290 is a great alternate to I-10 to get to Austin. Nice road and scenic. It's our preferred route, and we've traveled it many times.

howdja is offline   Reply With Quote