Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2012, 03:35 PM   #15

I've driven very fast cars on the autobahn at the limit of my abilities and been passed by better/braver drivers than me. No matter what the speed limit, I drive the motorhome at the best speeds for it and me, no matter what speed the rest of the traffic is traveling. I'll let you experts debate what is safer or better.

While I cannot say that Texas is my favorite state, there is a lot about Texans I truly love. My favorite bumper sticker of all time was one I saw on the rear bumper of a big Cadillac on a Texas highway being driven by a really old looking woman during the oil crisis of the seventies. "Help a Yankee freeze. Drive 90", it said. And she did.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2012, 04:22 PM   #16

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
75 just puts me to being legal
in our truck 75 is pretty much routine out here in the piney woods

but the rv we shall stay at the 65 or so mark, to enjoy the ride more

some of the parts of I-20 that are going to 75, have been in need of this increase for a long long time

between longview and shreveport folks pretty much are running 75-80 since i can remember

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 05:25 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
We have driven in lots of states. The worst for speed stuff is CA. Really? Speed limit is 70mph unless you are a semi or towing, then it's 55mph. I cannot tell you how many people had to slam on their brakes cause of the semi's and the ones towing were going 55. There were so many almost accidents I was cringing watching Thom while he was driving the truck with the bike. It was the longest 2 hours of my life.
And that's only one of the stupidest road rules here. While CA is not a bad place mostly I just cannot wait to leave because of some of the stupid road rules.

Of course Buffalo, NY is just amusing with more people not bothering to obey the stop signs than I have ever seen anywhere. Even thou I have family there I don't go unless I really have to.

Driving thru parts of TN is fun. They really don't like people to go thru a light that has just changed to red. You are infringing on their green light and they let you know it.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:18 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Well now, while we are rolling along at 65 mph, we will have the idiots trying to run 80 to 85 mph because they can bet by 5 to 10 mph over.

Ken
Old 01-27-2012, 07:54 PM   #19

The gene pool needs to be cleaned somehow. Some cars and some drivers are just as safe at higher speeds as at lower speeds. Some cars and drivers are unsafe at any speed. I have driven for hours in a Mercedes at 125 mph. I drive my MH at 63mph. I feel perfectly safe in either. Should that 1976 Chevy PU with 286,000 miles on it be doing 80 on the freeway? Probably not. But it will help clean the gene pool up.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:07 PM   #20

One thing often forgotten or ignored is that driving is privilege, not a right, can and should be taken away from some drivers.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:19 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
GOOD FOR TEXAS
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 01:27 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Biggest Difference

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzick View Post
I've driven very fast cars on the autobahn...
Same as on the Autostrada or UK's motorways.

But, there is a HUGE principal difference between British, German, Italian and American drivers: focus.

Generally, us Americans are unfocused, undiciplined, relatively unskilled. Driving is looked upon entirely differently, in our country. It's not just a matter of law enforcement, either. There, it seems a marriage of education, enforcement, and culture. Most of our citizens are happily oblivious to this inferiority, 'cause they don't travel to those countries.

Only in Texas, would we essentially say, "Yup we're horrible and we kill tons more people; so, let's make the problem worse."
Old 01-29-2012, 08:50 AM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVNeophytes2 View Post
Only in Texas, would we essentially say, "Yup we're horrible and we kill tons more people; so, let's make the problem worse."
In comparing data from the NHTSA website, most states have seen a decline in traffic fatalities between 2006 and 2010. Having a higher state speed limit does not automatically mean that the state will have higher fatalities. Texas has varied max speed limits. Several are capped at 65, most at 70 and a few at 75 or 80 (2020). Alabama (18.01) and Georgia (12.81) had higher death rates per 100,000 than Texas (11.87) or Utah (8.5), even though AL and GA have a lower max speed limit than TX and UT. The national average was
10.63, the best state had 3.97. Not sure which was the worst state but Montana had 19.07.

One state I looked at did have an increase in 2010 over 2009. NY went from 6 to 6.19
Cum catapultae proscriptae soli proscript catapultas habebunt
gray ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 12:07 PM   #24

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by gray ghost View Post
In comparing data from the NHTSA website, most states have seen a decline in traffic fatalities between 2006 and 2010. Having a higher state speed limit does not automatically mean that the state will have higher fatalities. Texas has varied max speed limits. Several are capped at 65, most at 70 and a few at 75 or 80 (2020). Alabama (18.01) and Georgia (12.81) had higher death rates per 100,000 than Texas (11.87) or Utah (8.5), even though AL and GA have a lower max speed limit than TX and UT. The national average was
10.63, the best state had 3.97. Not sure which was the worst state but Montana had 19.07.

One state I looked at did have an increase in 2010 over 2009. NY went from 6 to 6.19
Again, higher speed limits has historically equated to lower fatality rates, every time it has been studied. People who are allowed to drive at a speed they feel safe without worrying about exceeding posted limits are, in general, safer than those who are constantly having to watch their speedometer and adjust their speed for fear of LEO encounters.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 12:16 PM   #25
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I'd like to see statistics by percentages. It is fact that at the higher speed the chance of fatality is greater because the destruction is greater. There may be fewer fatalities only because there are fewer accidents. I'm still a little lost in the statements. I'm not trying to start a debate, it's just my logic I guess.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 12:42 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
I'm not against a higher speed limit, but it makes me wish there was at least 3 lanes for every highway. The far right for me and all the others doing 60-65 and the other two for the 75-100 mph'ers.

My traffic wish would be to prevent people from pulling in front of another without at least 3 car lengths, or preventing people from cutting in on an exit ramp after the dividing white line begins. Or people passing cars which are patiently waiting in a lane to get past a traffic wreck. The list could go on!

Bud
'11 Z-71 4X4 toad
BudtheDiplomat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 03:07 PM   #27

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
I read somewhere that, on average, people in the US drive 78mp/h on highway that is unmarked and unenforced. This was a study done over a long period of time. There is the assumption that people will drive 9mph over whatever the limit is, which is untrue. The vast majority will drive the speed they feel safe driving based on their abilities, vehicle, road/weather conditions, day or night, etc. The average speed traveled on the autobahn in unregulated areas by automobiles is about 150 km/h (93mp/h).

The autobahn is the safest stretch of freeway in the world, per million vehicle miles traveled. There is no speed limit on the majority of it. Another poster nailed it; it's because of the culture, and the cost. In Germany, one must complete rigorous driver training before being issued a license. It is VERY expensive. And the penalties for traffic infractions are harsh. Very different from here. And yes, when there are crashes, they are horrendous and spectacular (youtube has some). There are a LOT fewer crashes than we have here.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:48 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
I'd like to see statistics by percentages. It is fact that at the higher speed the chance of fatality is greater because the destruction is greater. There may be fewer fatalities only because there are fewer accidents. I'm still a little lost in the statements. I'm not trying to start a debate, it's just my logic I guess.
I see where you're looking and I think I see why you'd think that way. For my money though, if you run into a concrete overpass pillar at 60mph you're just as dead as if you hit it at 120. I also think, having driven across Texas, that if you run off the road into the field next to it, there isn't much difference in injury if you roll over 10 times or 20 times.

I spent 2 months in Texas this winter and the areas where the speed limit is higher appear to be good roads, in areas without much along the roadside to cause problems. And, the roads with the higher speeds all had multiple lanes in each direction to allow us slower folks, 63ish for my MH, to putt along in the slow lane.

Tags
texas