RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2019, 02:56 PM   #1

The GPS Did What

Im sure weve all had that moment when your sitting at a light and the GPS is suggesting you go another direction. Well, heres a story for ya:
In 2015 The Carriage Travel Club, Inc. (Now a DBA, The RV Travel Club) was having the annual Grand National at ABC Campground in Branson, MO. Rally was great. We packed up and had a little caravan headed back to Tom Sawyer Campground via SR65 to I-40 East to West Memphis. We came up from Tom Sawyer on I55 and across and through Mountain Home and over to SR65 and north to Branson.
Behind me was an F-650 Super Cruiser towing a 37ft Carri Lite. Im pulling a 35ft Carriage with a 2006 Dodge Cummins with a Edge Juice with Attitude set on tow, 800 ftlbs on rear tires. My GCW was 23,000. Jeffs was way past that with the Super Cruiser and the Carri Lite.
Were cruising down SR65. Jeff calls me on the CB and says my GPS wants to turn left at the next intersection. Mine also said that, and I was going to ignore it. Wanted to send us up to Mountain View towards the campground. Came up to the light, Jeff says what the Hecht, never been there lets check it out.
That turn was 82 miles down SR65. (35-49-40.2N) (092-33-44.6W) We made the left turn crossed a bridge that only one vehicle could get across, went through a little town that looked like a movie set for a Western. I think it was the town of Wileys Cove. Made a couple turns and ended on SR66 headed essentially North. The wrong way!!!
We made a curve just north of the town and WHOA, a grade from hell. We had known idea it was there. Asked Jeff what his GPS was saying for grade as I thought mine was wrong, but not really. Jeff said 14 degrees. Mine said the same. We headed up the 5 or 6 mile grade that curved back and forth.
The Fan on Jeffs' Cat, behind me, was screaming. Every alarm in my truck was lite up. Dam, We were unable to get a head start on that hill which killed us. Made it to the top and headed towards Mountain View. No more hills like that. Made it to Tom Sawyer without any problems.
Im sure everyone has been sent astray by that thing. We looked at the route on a Map Program and found it was shorter than going through Little Rock by a few miles. GPS was set for Shorter Distance.
Never making that left turn again.

Dave

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2019, 03:32 PM   #2

hard lesson. FASTEST route, not SHORTEST route.

rk911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 06:42 PM   #3

Another reason why I run with 2 GPSs. I play with one but the other stays on fastest route with height, weight and length factors active.

Tags
gps