Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2015, 08:14 PM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Three 2`s to traveling

Help, from all you good people. There is a member that has a travel ideas I like, but I can not remember how it is said. Or what thread it is in. They said there is a good idea, to travel 200 miles by 2 - ???? That is all I remember! if you know please share where I can find it. Thanks!!
Freebird1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2015, 09:46 PM   #2

FreeBird1958- could this be it??

Captain Bud

Workhorse Chassis Owner

I read somewhere about the 2-2-2 rule, travel 200 miles stop by 2:00PM and stay for 2 days. This is probaably the ideal way to travel and see the US of A. Now I know I will get a lot of flak from those of you who are still working, again I said ideally. My upcoming sojourn to Fla. will be using this rule or darn close to it...
krcaccrv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 10:27 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
The 222 rule is really 200 max miles, get off the road by 2pm, and stay at least 2 days. 200 miles is about 4 hrs drive time, any more than that gets really old for the driver, if done very often. 2pm so you can explore the area before dark and plan things to do on the second day, which lets you know if more days would be worth while. Sometimes you explore the 1st evening and find no reason to stay the second day and move on. The key is to be flexible....
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 11:38 AM   #4

We have also heard it said with an extra "2" (so 2222). Last 2 is "2 adult beverages at the end of the day"...
mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 05:12 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Hmmmmm, the first 30 years of moho'ing I always followed this rule:

13-700-2-2-2-8

13 hours of hellish driving per day.
700 miles traveled per day.
2 shots of your fave liquor upon arrival at WM to calm nerves.
2 burgers.
2 more shots after burgers, nerves still shot.
8 hours of sleep, after passing out.

I am so glad that I found this site and now know the real travel numbers. Still working on "The Journey is the Destination" thing, need more time to figure that one out. But the 2-2-2, or 3-3-3 (or the one that I probably follow the most is the 3-3-2 rule) really do make for a much, much better travel experience. My liquor store owner is a little mad, though, since I no longer need all the booze. . . . .

Bruce
Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 05:43 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by krcaccrv2 View Post
FreeBird1958- could this be it??

Captain Bud

Workhorse Chassis Owner

I read somewhere about the 2-2-2 rule, travel 200 miles stop by 2:00PM and stay for 2 days. This is probaably the ideal way to travel and see the US of A. Now I know I will get a lot of flak from those of you who are still working, again I said ideally. My upcoming sojourn to Fla. will be using this rule or darn close to it...

Yes, that is it. It is a great way to travel and enjoy along the way.
Freebird1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 10:01 AM   #7

The "other" idea is 3-3-3
\First "3" is stop by 3 pm.. 2nd "3" is drive only 300 miles. third "3' is stay 3 days.

I would alter that 3rd "3' to fit my needs. A one day, or 2 day may suffice.
Your "start time" could affect the "stop" time, so that is a consideration.[ and the "miles/day"..

It boils down to "the trip should be a pleasure, not a chore"..

Hope this helps.
Tom3205 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel