Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2009, 03:19 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
G'morning ALL:

Planning ahead. Have appt. in Nappanee, Indiana on May 18th then headed to Duluth, MN in 45' MH w. toad. Just looking for some of your opinions about running I-90 from around South Bend,IN, West through Chicago and on over to Madison. Have avoided this route before, BUT, I'm thinking it couldn't be too bad just hopping on 90, staying with the flow, and punching through without stopping (ie., NO coffee that morning!! ... For those of you who may have taken this route...what's your opinion??? Thanks. Steve
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2009, 03:49 AM   #2

If I were doing it, I would take I80 West to I294 to I290 to I90. About the only time I would take I90 is on weekend morning.I drove a semi for a while and that is the way I usually went. Having said that there is no real good way through but the route I suggested is the lessor of two evils. Good luck
Old 02-21-2009, 08:26 AM   #3

If your value your coach, DO NOT GO STRAIGHT THROUGH Chicago on I-90. Take the route suggested above in the previous post. I just moved there in July and made the mistake of driving through the "city". First, the tolls are many as are the potholes, and poor seams in the concrete roadways. I am surprised that I have my teeth left in my head from all of the ROUGH riding.
As far as Minnesota, enjoy the trip. The roads north of the cities (I35) are a little rough in spots. Duluth is nice and fun to visit. Make the time and go all the way up the coast road of Superior. Real nice!
I wish you the best in your trip!
Bounderoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 08:57 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I run the lakeshore all the time, from north of Milwaukee, around Chicago, and down to the Elkhart/Goshen/Shipshewana area. I wouldn't run through Chicago. I take I-294 around it to I-80. I've always had good travelling on those routes but I never hit them (or any roads around there) at rush hour. Sundays afternoons home generally and evening runs out after the rush hour is over.

Madison and Milwaukee are fine but I won't run through Chicago with a big rig. The TriState Tollway is much better.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 03:41 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
THANKS GUYS!! Great info. What do ya think about just taking I-80 straight West to I-39 and North. I know it's a bit longer and out of the way, but it seems simpler and avoids all those dang toll stops paying for 3 axels plus the toad. Steve
Old 02-23-2009, 03:55 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

That's a much easier route. It is a tad longer, but hassle free and you'll move right along. There will be a couple of quick, small tools on the stretch around Rockford, but that's minimal.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 04:17 PM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
I took the same route mldmaker took going from NJ to SD. Passed thru Chicago on a Sunday. No problem at all.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 10:12 PM   #8

suggest I-Pass

Illinois has redone (nearly) all of their toll booths so that the I-Pass is accepted for autos, big trucks, and RVs ...

When they redid the toll booths the kept the tolls about the same on the I-Pass lanes ... and they nearly doubled the tolls on the manual lanes ...

So I suggest you get an I-Pass regardless of what route you take.

I go from Wisconsin to Michigan about once a year ... I go through town regularly ... I avoid both rush hours and the noon hour ...

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 10:33 PM   #9

Does anyone know if the I-pass you refer to is compatible with the EZ pass system used on most of the east coast? Also what are the relative toll rates for a two axle MH with no toad relative to a passenger car?
Old 03-29-2009, 04:23 AM   #10

Chickedee I would go thru the city on 90/94 no tolls the roads have been re-done and they added a lane on the south end. I was downtown Tuesday and left at 2:30 going south and the traffic was moving at about 50 mph. The tolls for a car are .80 @ piece and there 5 or 6 that's without an I-pass. The ride on the tollway is no easy one as they have road constrution on the south end and tight lanes. The route of I 39 is pretty good ,but longer with one toll on I 80.

Mc2guy the EZ pass does work on the toll way . MH to car rates are .10 more for the dullies. thats with the pass.

Hope this helps Just my 2 cents

Wayne
Old 03-29-2009, 06:45 PM   #11

I have to correct myself

I have to correct myself ... they changed the toll rates effective Jan 1, 2009

Here is a table showing the current rates toll booth by toll booth

http://www.illinoistollway.com/porta...id=133,1495185

It now appears that for RVs the cash and I-Pass rates are the same.

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 08:14 PM   #12

WOW those rates went up at $ 1.50 a toll for a dullie. Guess I need to stay off the tollway durning the day. Thanks for the update SkiGramps
Old 04-03-2009, 04:41 PM   #13

My son lives in Chicago area and he says if traveling through during daytime
try to do it between 10am and 2 pm for the best traffic, still heavy but not as bad as it could be.
milt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 06:27 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks ALL. Steve