Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2007, 12:28 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
We are planning to travel Hwy 64/74/40 from TN 411 at Ocoee over to Hwy 68 at Ducktown, NC. I was wondering if anyone has traveled that stretch and could advise if the roadway is good for a 40 footer. Also how about overhead clearence? I prefer 14 ft clearence. Any info is appreciated. Thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2007, 12:28 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
We are planning to travel Hwy 64/74/40 from TN 411 at Ocoee over to Hwy 68 at Ducktown, NC. I was wondering if anyone has traveled that stretch and could advise if the roadway is good for a 40 footer. Also how about overhead clearence? I prefer 14 ft clearence. Any info is appreciated. Thanks.

Old 09-27-2007, 03:01 PM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">over to Hwy 68 at Ducktown, NC </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did you mean Ducktown, TN?

If going all the way to Ducktown, NC (near Brevard, NC) I'd recommend against it. Otherwise, it should be a nice drive.
Old 09-28-2007, 04:49 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
You're right- I meant Ducktown, TN. A friend of mine suggested that route while traveling over to his place near Blairsville, GA, but he is not an Rver and may not view a route the same way we do.
Old 09-28-2007, 05:51 AM   #5
Administrator Emeritus

Glad to see you boys got your ducks in a row!!
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 02:51 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Old 09-28-2007, 06:54 PM   #7

I would not recommend runnng an RV thru the gorge. Yes, I know the semis do... do you want to meet one? They take up most of the road on the sharp curves. I'm a little confused. Why are you running thru Ocoee if you are going to Blairsville (from FL??)

I used to run from a town just west of Chattanooga to Western NC (JCT Hwy 441 & Hwy 64) The route I chose ran me down the interstates to Dalton (Rocky Face Exit) over to Hwy 441 thru Chatsworth (tight downtown roads) where I picked up Hwy 76 in Ramhurst. I stayed on Hwy 76 all the way to Clayton (Hwy 441 ... got GA priced gas, then turned north to go to NC) OR I would get off onto Hwy 17 between Young Harris & Hiawassee. Hwy 17 would take me up to Hwy 64 in Hayesville. You can also turn north in Blue Ridge and run up 5 in order to get to Copperhill/Ducktown TN. Hwy 76 has a lot of 4 lane sections between Hiawassee and Blue Ridge and several truck passing lanes in the 2 lane sections. Watch out for farm equipment on that road if you take that route. Traffic runs fast on the 4 lane sections (I've been passed while I was doing 80-90 MPH). The route I took was much better for cellphone reception. While David normally ran, at night, Hwy 64 (no reception thru the gorge), I preferred Hwy 76 because I was either running alone or with the kids and critters. I felt better knowing that if I broke down, I could call someone to come and get me.
Old 09-30-2007, 05:33 PM   #8

The last time I was thru there, I did not feel safe in a Van. I was almost wiped out by a tractor/trailer in one of the close turns. If I had a fifth of Jim Beam, I would have stopped and downed the whole bottle. When my heart finally stated beating, I could only do about 35 mph for quite a few miles. That was one of those trips where you say to yourself, what am I doing here.

01 Winnebago Journey DL 36ft w/Cat 330
HobbyJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 06:24 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Actually we were going to travel from Knoxville area over to Blairsville. A friend of ours suggested going south on 411 to 64 then east on 64 to Ducktown, TN, south on 68 (5 in GA), and lastly east on 76. I had questions on the 64 section- my friend is not an RVer and may not judge the roads from an RVers perspective.

We had a plan change and did not go that route.

Thanks to all for the info.