Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2018, 04:02 PM   #15

If you get the NC quick pass ez pass there is a one time charge of $7 and it's good in every eastern state, including Fl and Ga, that charges a toll except SC Hilton Head highway.
Rollin101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2018, 04:55 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
It's been 2 years since we drove those turnpikes, but if memory serves, the toll charges when pulling a toad, are almost triple, compared if you are not.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 09:34 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
You should consider getting an EZPass before you go. That will save you time and money. The NY EZPass is free as one example. It will save you time at all the toll stations.

As a side note, consider traveling US 20 instead of the Indiana Toll Road. I-80/90 through Indiana is an absolutely horrendous stretch of road. I just traveled that last week and it was one of the worst stretches of road I have ever traveled.

100% agree. They should be ashamed to charge to drive on the Indiana Turnpike. Absolutely worst road I’ve been on in a long time.
19jcm79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 11:03 AM   #18

thanks everyone for the help--now feel comfortable travelling the roads but two final questions--are there any tunnels from the Indiana toll through the pa last booth and can you spend the night at the plazas
billsharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 02:36 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Tunnels in PA, about 1/2way across the state.

Ohio had overnight parking for anything less than 40’ and I’m sure I saw power for each slot too at the back of the slot. It was a parking lot, off to one side. All back in if I remember right, striped like a parking lot. No space between slots.

When I saw them they were always empty. But I wasn’t there at night time.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:07 PM   #20

Since I live in southern NJ when traveling east to west or vice versa I stay off the PA turnpike at all costs. I'll pick up I80 and cross into NJ and then pick my routes south accordingly. Highly recommend EZPass and use it all over myself. It is accepted most everywhere except for Florida which uses sunpass, which I also have for when I go there. Ohio tpk rv spots are great. Set off away from the trucks and has an electric post and a dump station. More states should have such spots. PA tpk does have tunnels but tractor trailers fit so you should. My rig is 12ft 6in and I have plenty of clearance. BTW I 80 goes thru the upper tier of PA. Lots of rest areas, cg and state parks to stay and of course my favorite Cracker Barrel. Their co policy is to let rv's stay in their lot overnight. Think I've stayed in everyone from NJ to Florida and back and up the east coast to Maine. Enjoy the trip. I'm planning to go east to west this summer so we might pass on the road. Second time I've done that trip.
Old 06-01-2018, 01:55 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Just my $.02

E-ZPass is good in many states with the following exceptions that I know of:
* GA has Peach Pass, but it is also good in NC and FL.
* FL has Sun Pass and is also good for many toll bridges in the state.
* NC has NC Quick Pass. North Carolina currently accepts E-ZPass, SunPass and Peach Pass
* Ohio River bridges on I-65 and I-265 at Louisville, KY use RiverLink license plate photos and billing unless you have a transponder.
* Dallas Tollways have their own system of license plate photos and billing unless you have a transponder.

On our last trip to FL, I compared Sun Pass price for class C and towed car (billed as 4 axles $$) vs toll vs just avoiding toll roads. For my routes, I just set the trip planner to avoid toll roads, as it really wasn't going to save me much time.
Old 06-01-2018, 03:03 PM   #22

Since the fantastic state of Indian decided to sell their sole to the devil and allow a private firm, whose only motive is profit, to own the toll road it has gone down hill. I agree, US 20 is a much better choice
ztlrgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 08:00 AM   #23

We will be traveling from Ohio to Bar Harbor Maine in July. Still trying to decide between traveling toll roads or setting GPS to avoid them. If I decide on toll roads I will get an EZpass. Pulling a travel trailer from Ohio to Maine then back from Maine to Ohio what should I expect to pay in tolls? I know avoiding tolls will add some time to my trip but I,m not concerned about that. My only concern would be low overpasses or bad roads. Any suggestions?
Old 06-02-2018, 09:18 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsharp View Post
are there any tunnels from the Indiana toll through the pa last booth

In PA, avoid the heavy toll. You can continue I-80 after the Ohio Turnpike.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0847.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	205296
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 09:03 AM   #25

I would take I-80 through PA, and in Pittsburgh, drop down to I-70 for the trip through Ohio and Indiana to avoid tolls. In Indianapolis, hop on to I-74 and meet up with I-80 near the Iowa border.
scubadude62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 06:06 AM   #26

I would take 80 in Illinois to 94 thru Indiana, don’t get on the Indiana toll road at exit 16, go to Laporte, it’s then a short, maybe 5 mile, truck route back to the Toll road, can’t help you into Pa, but have stayed at the Rv parking in Ohio, I think it was $20, pay at the kiosks, I dropped the trailer in the grass at the end, np. 88 and 294 in Illinois are very congested, aa will 80 be in Joliet, I would make sure to thru this stretch before rush hour