Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-12-2019, 02:31 PM   #1

Tollways and Thruways in the Northeast??

I am mapping out my route from Grand Rapids, MI across Canada to the Niagara Falls area and then over to Syracuse and then Albany over to Boston. After Boston I will head South to Pennsylvania and then further South.

I see that I will be driving a lot of the New York Thruway. Are the toll booths RV friendly? Also how is the best way to pay for these tolls? I have the Florida Sunpass, but I am assuming this will not work up there.

What other tollways will I come across?
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2019, 03:08 PM   #2

The NY State Thruway is RV friendly but will charge you tractor trailer rates, if you have a toad. They measure the vehicle at the front tires. If over 7.6, its a truck. TTs and 5rs get charged car rates.

They don't take Sunpass and some are going to toll by plate. Others take EZpass or cash.

Take I-88, I-86 ( NYS 17 ) and I-81 for toll free travel.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 07:19 PM   #3

Mass Pike Albany area to Boston has gone all electronic tolls. They will find and bill you from your plates but rates are roughly 1.5x EZPass rates. It's probably worth getting an EZ Pass if you are going to travel the toll roads.
There are routes to avoid the thruway and MA Pike but will add some miles & time but open other interesting potential sights depending on your interests.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 07:50 PM   #4

Can someone that does not reside in a state that uses EZPass get it by mail? When I got Sunpass to use in Florida I bought it from a Publix in Florida.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
Can someone that does not reside in a state that uses EZPass get it by mail? When I got Sunpass to use in Florida I bought it from a Publix in Florida.
Get the NC quick pass E/Z pass. One time Cost of $7.40 and is good everywhere on the East coast over to IL and down to Fl. I did away with my Fl Sunpass and use the NC quick pass e/z exclusively.
Yes you can get it by mail.
Rollin101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:21 PM   #6

I would give a call to NY Thruway Authority EZpass.

Ask if you can submit a copy of your registration and get a MH discount pass. The toll rates drop significantly.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:47 PM   #7

Personally I truly dislike the thruway. Not sure if it's the whole thruway or just my area but it is terrible. They charge me tractor trailer rates for my truck and fifth wheel and the roads are horrendous. I travel the toll free roads whenever possible, they are taken care of much better. Just my .02.
JaRed1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 05:55 AM   #8

Will EZPass have the same or similar setup as Sunpass where I can set a certain amount and it will replenish it from my debit/credit card?
Old 02-13-2019, 06:37 AM   #9

Quote:
Will EZPass have the same or similar setup as Sunpass where I can set a certain amount and it will replenish it from my debit/credit card?
That's how my NY EZpass works.

You select an automatic replenishment amount but they may adjust it up after a lot of activity.

Its over $50 across the state with a 4 axle MH, over 7'6" high. About 1/2 that with 4 axles, under 7'6" high.

Cash is a bit more.
Old 02-13-2019, 07:21 AM   #10

Quote:
I see that I will be driving a lot of the New York Thruway. Are the toll booths RV friendly? Also how is the best way to pay for these tolls? I have the Florida Sunpass, but I am assuming this will not work up there.
The NYS Thruway tolls are very RV friendly, and most exit gates have at least one 20 mph lane. There is a vehicle configuration for RVs you can select when you order a transponder. When pulling a boat trailer, I used to enter through any EZPass lane, but exit through a manned lane, but looking on their web site now, it seems that's no longer necessary as the equipment counts axles and charges accordingly. They do offer a tag set up for what you're driving, including a toad, if you call them, which they seem to want you to do.

Mine is through NJ's system, but it's all the same system according to them. When I moved to NY and called EZPass, they said it makes no difference where they're from, as long as the vehicle info and plates are listed, which you do online.

But if I were heading south, I'd look into the NC EZ/Quick pass that Rollin101 suggested. In fact, I think I'll do that now. Trips south are becoming more frequent, and I like it that way. One of these days, I won't be coming back.

As to the NYS Thruway being in bad shape, I drive it all the time, usually as far as Syracuse then head south on I-81, but continuing on to Albany and beyond to the Mass Pike or south on I-87, I never noticed it being in poor condition. They have been doing a lot of resurfacing and rip out and repave projects on that road in the last bunch of years, so maybe my experience is different.

But the Thruway has rest stops with diesel* every 25-45 miles in each direction (alternating, so watch which side each one is on if planning stops), is heavily patrolled, and plowed better than I-81, IMO at least based on travel numerous times per year from western NY to NJ and NYC for the last 20 years.

*The diesel pump is usually just a single on the truck side but next to the gas pumps where the attendant can see it, with the hose on the driver's side unless you pull a U-turn somewhere. Check the satellite view on a map if you think you'll need one. But there are also T/As and Pilots at some of the exits.
KanzKran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 08:01 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
I would give a call to NY Thruway Authority EZpass.

Ask if you can submit a copy of your registration and get a MH discount pass. The toll rates drop significantly.
If I'm not mistaken NY limits that recreational use advantage to NY residents only.... but not positive so worth a check.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 08:05 AM   #12

US Route 20

An alternative to the NYS Thruway is US Route 20. It is a really nice highway and is 4 lanes in some locations. You will pass through some smaller cities and Buffalo but it is much more interesting than the interstate. The Thruway is very expensive but a well built interstate. You might want to stop at the Finger Lakes Region in central NY on your journey.
linnemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 08:31 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
If I'm not mistaken NY limits that recreational use advantage to NY residents only.... but not positive so worth a check.
That may be. Although I have a summer house up there, I won't take the Thruway.

State RT 31 in the West and State RT 5 in the East shadow the Thruway.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:24 AM   #14

If you use the Florida Turnpike, you will need Sunpass. Florida Turnpike Enterprise roads do not accept E-ZPass.
From the Orlando Sentinel:
The E-ZPasses will be functional on toll roads managed by the Central Florida Expressway Authority: 118 miles on State Roads 408, 414, 417, 429, 451, 528 and 429. They will not work on toll roads managed by the Florida Department of Transportation, like Florida’s Turnpike.
Bill 3rd is offline   Reply With Quote