Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-03-2012, 09:06 PM   #1

Tombstone to Oregon Coast routing advice?

We're in Southern California, but will be heading to Tombstone AZ in a few weeks. Then back up to Tucson and have decided to head on up to the Oregon Coast before we head back down to SoCal. Any specific route advice? We were thinking from Phoenix, take the 93 thru Wickenburg, on up to Vegas. Then north on the 95 from Vegas to Reno, then the 395 to the 5, thru Lassen NP,etc. On the 5..perhaps going clear up to Portland, then over to Astoria, and then turn south on the 101 along the coast, and into California and continuing home on the 101.
We have a 38' fiver pulled by an F350 powerstroke diesel.
Thanks for any and all ideas or alternate routes, so we won't miss something! I'm not sure about the 95 in NV, as I know that's pretty barren land, and same with the 395 north from Reno.

Carol
carolanded is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2012, 02:15 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolanded View Post
We're in Southern California, but will be heading to Tombstone AZ in a few weeks. Then back up to Tucson and have decided to head on up to the Oregon Coast before we head back down to SoCal. Any specific route advice? We were thinking from Phoenix, take the 93 thru Wickenburg, on up to Vegas. Then north on the 95 from Vegas to Reno, then the 395 to the 5, thru Lassen NP,etc. On the 5..perhaps going clear up to Portland, then over to Astoria, and then turn south on the 101 along the coast, and into California and continuing home on the 101.
We have a 38' fiver pulled by an F350 powerstroke diesel.
Thanks for any and all ideas or alternate routes, so we won't miss something! I'm not sure about the 95 in NV, as I know that's pretty barren land, and same with the 395 north from Reno.

Carol
Hi Carol,
Sounds like a nice trip to me. I am a retired over the road trucker. I have traveled much of this route with an 18 wheeler. Bur only part of 101 along the Oregon coast. Oregon is just beautiful (western 1/3) How about Virginia City, NV, Yosemite, Kalamath Falls, Or.

I wrote a poem about the NorthWest several years ago while decending an Idaho mountain.

Oh, you must marvel at the beauty that God has created
for it is the kind of beauty that shall never be outdated.
The magic of the mountains reach clear to the skies, it's the kind of beauty that brings tears to your eyes.
As the sounds of the ripling waters, fall upon your ears
you stop and think, this would be a beautiful place to spend a lot of years.
Yes, I know we all think our home area is the best, but there is certainly something to be said for the great Northwest. Don Robinson 1987

Hope you have a great trip, hope you enjoyed the breif poem. The old trucker
Old Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 02:30 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Consider Crater Lake NP and Ashland/Medford area. Check out the county parks near Ashland. Consider a stop in Ashland for the Oregon Shakespeare Festival. Jacksonville and Ashland are both enjoyable towns to explore.
Plan on taking your time coming down the coast. Lots of very fine state parks, but you may need reservations. There is an abundance of private parks. You might also consider Thousand Trails on either a Zone Pass or just pay for your time staying in the parks. There are 4 TT parks along the coast.
Enjoy your time in Oregon
Frantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 05:36 AM   #4

Carol,

X2 on Crator Lake NP, we did it as a day trip from Sutherlin (I-5) which has 3 nice CG's to pick from.

RV Park Reviews :: Sutherlin, Oregon ( OR ) - RV Parks and Campground Reviews

But my comment is, if your going up as far as Portland, then you might want to consider Mt St Helens just north of there. Those are two very interesting stops. Also, pickup a copy of the Guide to the Oregon Coast (or something like that). It is a mile by mile guide to the OR coast and a must have. Any info center will know exactly what it is.

Bob
Old 05-04-2012, 10:47 AM   #5

Beautiful poem!! thanks! And SO TRUE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Trucker View Post
Hi Carol,
Sounds like a nice trip to me. I am a retired over the road trucker. I have traveled much of this route with an 18 wheeler. Bur only part of 101 along the Oregon coast. Oregon is just beautiful (western 1/3) How about Virginia City, NV, Yosemite, Kalamath Falls, Or

I wrote a poem about the NorthWest several years ago while decending an Idaho mountain.

Oh, you must marvel at the beauty that God has created
for it is the kind of beauty that shall never be outdated.
The magic of the mountains reach clear to the skies, it's the kind of beauty that brings tears to your eyes.
As the sounds of the ripling waters, fall upon your ears
you stop and think, this would be a beautiful place to spend a lot of years.
Yes, I know we all think our home area is the best, but there is certainly something to be said for the great Northwest. Don Robinson 1987

Hope you have a great trip, hope you enjoyed the breif poem. The old trucker
Old 05-04-2012, 10:49 AM   #6

We've been to Crater Lake, Klamath, etc as suggested above. Just really wondering about that road north from Las Vegas to Reno..I know we've done some of it...closer to Vegas..just not sure if its that interesting or not. Same with the 395 from Reno, going thru Susanville, and north. Getting more and more excited about this trip..its a little different for us, traveling from AZ north to OR...lots of different weather, scenery,and sites this way though!
Old 05-05-2012, 11:12 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
The route you have selected is a good route. We travel from Oregon to AZ and back at least twice a year. We prefer that over either I-5 or US-99 through CA.
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:52 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
carolandedj:

Didn't notice if anyone mentioned this, but...ya might consider running North from Reno, thorugh Bend, OR, and on up to The Dalles area on the Columbia River and then migrating toward the Oregon coast at Astoria. First, the drive along the Columiba River offers alot of scenery and interesting stops, and, second, this route would permit you to travel the coast from NORTH to SOUTH, a BIG plus for enjoying the coast with your fiver since ya can easily take advantage of numerous beautiful pullout/rest areas as you poke along. If ya do the coast heading South to North with your 38' fiver, there are many pull outs on the left (ocean side) that you'll not be able to access easily or at all. Just a thought.

Steve & Lynette
Old 05-06-2012, 08:57 AM   #9

we are going to do just about the same trip but will be going the opposite direction...
Old 05-06-2012, 10:28 AM   #10

Thor Owners Club
we are heading down South to Oregon and northern California. It might be an idea to check ahead for road construction. Last year we came down hwy 101, which is a secondary coastal highway and found a lot of road construction occurring. But we had no problem running our 38' 5er. We particularly enjoyed Cannon Beach and Winchester Bay.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 04:46 PM   #11

i really appreciate all your replies! Great ideas! I would LOVE to drive up thru Bend, and on up to The Dalles, then over to Astoria..but time is a little bit of an issue, and we have been to Bend and The Dalles before, though its been a few years. Also, we really want to visit 7 Feathers RV Resort in Canyonville OR on the 5..so thought we'd do that on our way up the 5, then cut west to the 101 at Corvallis, over to the coast, then south on the 101. But we may still be able to work out something yet...don't really want to miss Astoria, Cannon Beach, and Winchester Bay! Also, have decided to skip the 93 in NV, coming out of Vegas, instead, heading north from Tucson to Phoenix, then up thru Wickenburg to the 40...west on 40 to Barstow then west a bit to the 395, turning north. We really love the 395 in CA! Thought that would be more interesting than the hwy in NV.