Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2013, 10:09 PM   #1

Tooling Up to Trip Out

Hey everybody,

We are about to start our cross-country adventure, and as I reflect on it, I realize how this whole planning experience has brought out my "inner tool guy." I never used to be that much of a tool guy, but having a camping trailer has forced me to become one!

I blogged about a new love of tools here.

Our travels will be 7 weeks, probably 9 or 10K miles, California to Maine and back. The route is planned, and though we have an itinerary, we intend to use that as a framework and invent some fun as we go. We wrote about our prep and plan in the blog (main link below) and we'll chronicle the trip from the road once we start on Sep 2.

I just wanted to say how much help we have received from online forums on repairs and travel suggestions. I thank the many who responded!

CalStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2013, 10:23 PM   #2

10,000 miles in 7 weeks, that's not a vacation, that's torture. You will spend 7 weeks flying down the interstates. Slow down and take it easy. 2,000 miles in 7 weeks would be plenty for us. All you will be doing is burning fuel and spending big bucks. But being in the oil business myself, we love people who do this.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:21 PM   #3

KSCrude,

Well, we'll let you know how it goes. We love road trips. We are staying put in camp (or local touring) for half of the 49 days. And the days we drive, we average only 328 per day. True, some trips are best enjoyed with shorter drives and longer stays in camp. We love the week-long stays in campgrounds, too, but this trip feeds a life-long dream to cross the US.

Wish us well!
Old 08-30-2013, 11:53 PM   #4

We're doing the same trip a couple of weeks after Cal! Call us crazy! But we love road trips too and have no big timetable. Just meandering and seeing what we see, staying where we want for how long we want. The freedom of it is exhilarating! It's worth the big bucks
Old 08-31-2013, 02:10 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I too like road trips. Seeing the sights along the way, with just a general plan of where we are going is is real freedom. I hate having a ending date pre planned. There's a song by a Texas singer by the name of Delbert McClinton who has a great song called Lone Star Blues. In that song it talks about Cut and Shoot, Texas . It sounded like a place I needed to see, so off we went and saw it. That is freedom, and I love it. That is how I like to travel. Wandering from place to interesting sounding place with interesting sounding names and all the while meeting new friends along the way.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolanded View Post
We're doing the same trip a couple of weeks after Cal! Call us crazy! But we love road trips too and have no big timetable. Just meandering and seeing what we see, staying where we want for how long we want. The freedom of it is exhilarating! It's worth the big bucks

I thought we were the only crazy riders. We go what I call ride-a-bout, go every day till we want to stop call ahead for cg b4 we stop. Went from So. Fl. to N.D. and back in 2 1/2 weeks. Didn't have to just did. I thought it was fun I guess I like to drive.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:03 PM   #7

Do you want to get credit for states driven though or do you want to actually see something?

You have a little truck and a pop-up. Even if you don't unhook, you are still looking at an half an hour for both set up and strike. So, If you get up early and drive until you are tired, you will still be "On the road" for 10 hours a day. That is just to make you 328. Unless you stick to Interstates (not much to see there), you will be hard pressed to make that 328 Mile Day regularly. Fortunately, your 10k mile in seven weeks is only 220+ miles per day. If you work that for what is worth and back off your driving to 180 mile days, (that makes 9K in 7wks) you will see much more and be way less frazzeled. You might even enjoy the excursion.....

Do I know what I am talking about?
We have a compact, light weight and classic coach. Start of the driving day means clearing away breakfast and turning on the ignition. End of the Day is about the reverse, but dinner and drinks. Lunch we pick out of the reefer underway. We don't have find a place for a "nature stop", but we do have to get fuel.

We have done 550+ mile days, but never more than two in a row and we will never plan to do one when we have a choice.

If I were you, I would plan a grad tour of scenic and famous places and then see how far you have to drive. If three weeks takes you to Maine, then you still have time to take a different route home.

Matt
Old 09-07-2013, 11:23 AM   #8

We are on our way, a week into it so far. Every part is great, none is part of a price we pay for something else. We're loving the road, the set up, the views of the plains and mountains, small towns and camps. It's 7 weeks of something we like to do. Half our days we are napping, or pic taking or driving to local sights. Invite you to follow at my blog. I'll let you know if we get frazzled. www.crosscountrybycar.wordpress.com.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:21 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Well we started our trip, Gallup, Albuquerque, Taos, Boulder, Reno, Lake Tahoe . If you have watched the weather lately you will see how this is working out !
Fortunately I remember from my boating days to blow the horn three times when I reverse !!!!!!

Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote