Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2013, 10:30 AM   #1

Top of the world highway in June

What is the road like from Dawson City to Chicken in June?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2013, 10:51 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
In 82,000 miles , that road is near the top of my worst roads. The dustiest. The washboardest ( ). It took weeks to get all the dust out of every draw and compartment inside and out. I hear its almost as bad in the rain. I got to Chicken and had a beer , and I don't drink beer. I'm glad I did it and hope you do as well. It's so much better than going around the other way and the experience is unforgettable. . It just requires a big clean up.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:56 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to JohnFreyja Send a message via MSN to JohnFreyja
Ditto to what CliffTall says. I did it in June of 2009. Great experience. Then parked the MH in Fairbanks and drove the toad up toward Prudoe Bay. Same thing....dust, mud and beautiful scenery and in June it's daylight around the clock.
JohnFreyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:35 PM   #4

We are heading that direction and driving in our Class B . I carry my own air compressor so I plan on airing down my tires which helps greatly with the rough road. We only have 2 storage compartments on the outside, I might consider bringing 2" wide painters masking tape and taping/sealing up those doors. I'm not totally excited to drive down that dirt road, but I'm going to do it once , might see you there !
Old 05-01-2013, 12:35 AM   #5

Far too much in the future for any road report to be of the slightest bit of use. Day before is about right to get a rough idea but even then conditions change by the hour.

Best you will get now is what the road was like in June last year

If it is dusty, shut all the windows and vents except one roof vent blowing fresh air in at high speed. If no roof vent then run dash air in vent position on high.

If washboarded, drop the tyre pressure to 80% of normal and drive 80% of highway speed. Air them back up when you are done with the gravel.

If it is wet, stay well away from the edges. If necessary, stop and let the oncoming traffic make the hard decisions.

If dry and loose gravel and oncoming are refusing to slow down, hold the middle of the road until they do slow down and then move over with a cheery wave. They will respond with a single middle finger but at least your windscreen will be intact.

The road and the scenery aren't way up there with all the truly spectacular drives, but it is one of those "because it is there" things and at least it does give you the chance to come back down/up a different way.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:34 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
I agree with Tony Lee's comments. We traveled the Top of the World road in June 2012. The American side was by for the worst for us. It was not to wet and not to dry since it had rained the day before we traveled on it. We did see many MH that were covered with mud or dust depending upon the weather. If you go to our blog we have a picture of the road showing how desolate the area is. We traveled in a 39 foot MH towing our Jeep. Go SLOW and enjoy the ride.

By the way there is a gas station in Tok on the west side that if you fill up you can wash your rig for free. You should take advantage of it because the RV park wash in Tok would be very expensive.

One other note; we used RV Adventure Videos to plan our trip. It provided insightful tips on travels on the Alaskan Highway and Alaska. There web site is: RV Adventure Videos with John Holod Productions

Our blog of the day on the Top of the World road is: RVGR8escape
RV735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:41 AM   #7

We've done the Top of the World Hwy in May and it was in perfect condition. We did have good weather. I wouldn't want to drive it in rain or a previous day of rain. Watch your forecasts. That early there were very few traveling it so it was delightful. I would think in June you'd have about the same - perhaps a little more vehicles.

We again tried it in August of one year and it was very dusty after a summer of vehicles going across. Probably June would be best. The road would have a little moisture to it from spring snow melts and would keep the dust down.

Either way, we would definitely recommend that your drive it. It's a gorgeous ride. Just keep in mind that you're going to go slow. Have a great trip! Wish we were going again this year. :(
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:05 AM   #8
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I didn't mention it in my post above , but my trip was in June ( 2004 ).

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:24 PM   #9

We took that highway in 2006 or 2007 and it wasn't a great road, wash board road & lots of dust and road construction. We also when up to Eagle. WOW, overall, it was a great trip but we'll pass on that portion on our next trip up there.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post
Far too much in the future for any road report to be of the slightest bit of use. Day before is about right to get a rough idea but even then conditions change by the hour.

Best you will get now is what the road was like in June last year

If it is dusty, shut all the windows and vents except one roof vent blowing fresh air in at high speed. If no roof vent then run dash air in vent position on high.

If washboarded, drop the tyre pressure to 80% of normal and drive 80% of highway speed. Air them back up when you are done with the gravel.

If it is wet, stay well away from the edges. If necessary, stop and let the oncoming traffic make the hard decisions.

If dry and loose gravel and oncoming are refusing to slow down, hold the middle of the road until they do slow down and then move over with a cheery wave. They will respond with a single middle finger but at least your windscreen will be intact.

The road and the scenery aren't way up there with all the truly spectacular drives, but it is one of those "because it is there" things and at least it does give you the chance to come back down/up a different way.
Whoa, hold on. Be very careful about dropping tire pressure 20%. Think about the pressure required to keep from having blowouts due to under inflated tires versus weight load.

Be safe.

Don
Old 05-05-2013, 07:42 PM   #11

IMO there is no need to reduce tire pressure, besides one of the large stones then might bruise a tire. We drove Top-of-the-World highway in AUG. last year. Dust was minimal, and the road was rough. Top speed for nearly everyone was 30 MPH, at times I was driving 15 MPH over the washboards. You will notice the berm of the road is slightly different colored, STAY AWAY from the berm, it is very soft, if you get a steer wheel onto the berm it WILL suck you off the road, and depending where you are you might go down the side of the mountain.
When you meet oncoming traffic, find a wide spot and stop. Let oncoming traffic maneuver around you. Nearly everyone is courteous and polite on this road, take your time and enjoy the scenery.
If you have trouble, Willard's Repair in Tok is a Good Sam provider.
An aside, Tok is short for Tokyo; it was shortened because of WW II adverse sentiments.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:00 PM   #12

Don't forget the netting and bug spray, you will definitely need them. The skeeters have landing lights and take on two drums of blood errr fuel
Old 05-05-2013, 08:18 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We too drove it in August of 2012 and everything Roy M said is true. The sharp gravel did a number on the front of our toad; we had pulled it all the way from Florida with no scratches until this. We had a protect a tow on it and the rocks still scratched it many places.
We drove it south after spending the whole summer in Alaska. Our day was full of dust and the washboard effect was bad. 15 mph was too fast some places.
krivanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:43 PM   #14

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I had never heard of this road until i started following this thread, now its on my list of go-tos. Google Maps with street view is awesome.. they have Street View on it from Chicken to Dawson and beyond. Fabulous scenery. Hope i can see it in person one day.

Chuck&Pam is offline   Reply With Quote