Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:47 PM   #15
After being caught in a tornado in a state park, we always ask about shelters and evacuation plans. IMO, this is something that is overlooked by many. When the tornado was headed our direction I told my wife to take our kids (4 and 6 at the time) to the nearest shelter. I stayed behind to pull the slides in and secure everything figuring the ranger would make one last sweep of the park....dumb I know. But I was wrong. Hail busted out our skylights and had a tree fall next to us. I escaped unharmed and the MH had minimal damage....my truck..well I would rather not discuss that. After that we always find our escape route and shelter.

2008 Damon Challenger 376
EZ tow dolly
2015 dart GT
pacevette is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2014, 07:59 PM   #16

Entegra Owners Club
In a past life, I was a meteorologist and severe storms forecaster and researcher. BFlynn has already stated it and stated it well. Heed his advice.

If no other choice and the tornado is coming, lie in a ditch or low spot and cover your head. And if you take shelter in a stream or creek as your low spot be advised of flash floods...you can hear the rushing water coming, usually a half mile away.

Dave and Beth
2015 Cornerstone 45J
Ford F-150 and 2016 Polaris Razor
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 07:02 PM   #17
As a fellow Californian, I can tell you that the rest of the country gets WEATHER. We do not. You've received a lot of good advice. Heed it. Change your travel plans if the weather isn't good. Case in point, about a year ago we were returning to the west coast from the Emerald Coast in Florida. When weather reports, I use Accuweather, predicted heavy rains in Sulphur, La., we elected to stay 3 extra days in Biloxi. Good thing. Reports of 8" of rain the day we planned to arrive there. 65 mph winds and at least one waterspout in the areas we would have been driving through. That same trip, leaving Houston, our plan was to spend the night in Dallas/Fort Worth. Remember the tornado they had about a year ago? That was the day. Accuweather told us of the possibility, so we stayed in Killeen instead. Point is, watch the weather days ahead of time. NOAA radio was in the coach when we bought it. It is great for notification of immediate dangers. Here's the main thing a Californian needs to understand. People in the areas that get these storms are ridiculously complacent about them. Do not let them lull you into a false sense of security about them. When appropriate, we seek out RV parks with storm shelters. Our inquiries are usually meet with knowing chuckles and assurances that " . . . We never have tornadoes here." Traveling thru Joplin about a decade ago, I was told that very thing.
biosensai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 05:21 AM   #18
A couple years ago at our local camp ground there was a tornado. Its a city park/ campground on the river. They have tractor pulls, and ball games The local jeep club has get toghthers there and drive up and down the river You are allowed to drink there. the cops patrol it all night so nothing gets out of hand. Anyway. One night abut 10 we were all getting ready for bed after a long day on the river fishing and tubing and quite a few beers. There were abut 12 or 15 of us. The cop comes flying up and said theres a tornado 3 miles away get the hell outta here. Local cop we all know really well. I looked his dead in the eye and said were all drunk. Now what?? He said get your butts to the bathrooms and showers! (they are concrete and double as storm shelters) A coupel of our wives dont drink so they gathered up the kids men got their coolers. off to the bathrooms. Sat there an 1/2 hour until we got the all clear but it was still down pouring so we watched it rain drank more beer. It was pretty scary there for a while. We always keep an eye on the weather. There was no indication of a rain storm coming let alone a dang tornado. It took the whole community by surprise. Our neighbors at the camp site are storm spotters for the local volunteer fire dept. They have their pagers on them at all times. There were NO warnings. It just popped up all of a sudden out of nothing. We let that be a reminder of just how fast things can get bad.

93 Jayco RK 325
07 Chevy classic crew cab long box LBZ Duramax
Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote