Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-04-2012, 06:47 PM   #1

Toronto, Ontario, Canada to Virginia Beach, VA, U.S.A.

Hi folks,

We are going an a trip for March break and are heading down to Virginia Beach, VA from Toronto.

I wonder if anyone has any real life experiences as to what route to take and where to stop for a night. We are traveling with 2 children and 6-7 hours might be their maximum. We are planning a two day trip down, 4 nights there and 2 on the way back.

We are traveling in a F-150 pulling our Heartland Travel Trailer.

Thanks for any wisdom that you can provide. Google Maps gives me 3 routes - 1 due south from Buffalo; 1 SW from Buffalo to Pittsburg and then working back S/E; 1 that is not a wise option in my mind as it takes us through the mountains in the East.

Thanks,

Mike
Musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2012, 07:10 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We were headed to Winchester Virginia last July with a group and we took I 90 south of Buffalo,
Then I 79 south past Pittsburg and into WV. The took I 68 east to Hancock and then route 522 south to Winchester. From Winchester we took I 81 to I 66 to Route 17 which brings you to Fredericksburg, and then I95 south.
This route envolved some major hills on the I 68 section, but in less than 3 hours we were done with the hills. We had 5 units in our group and were able to keep together on I 68 with no problems.

We have done the route 219 south of Buffalo down to I 80 and then east on I 80 to I 81 south and found many more hills on this route.
Jm2CW
2008 Pontiac G 6 & Blue Ox Aventa LX
FC Ontario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 01:22 PM   #3

IMO I would go from I 79 to I 76/70 (toll-est $10-15) (PA turnpike) to Breezewood and I 70 south to I 270 (Fredrick). Continue on south to I 270 around Washington, DC (west side) to I95 to Richmond, VA. Take I 295 bypass around north side of Richmond and I 64 to Virginia Beach. Mandatory stop and shut off propane tanks prior to entering tunnel at check station Hampton side of tunnel. This route has less steeper grades than using I 68
RVhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:15 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Its strange because I asked on this forum last spring before we went to South Carolina about the hills on I 68 as compared to I 70-76 and was told that I 68 had less hills???
Any way that was the way we chsoe to go after the advice, so have no experience with the 70-76 route.
Maybe some one else who has driven both routes a few times could help us as its a route that we will take many times from here.
Thanks in advance
2008 Pontiac G 6 & Blue Ox Aventa LX
FC Ontario is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heartland