Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 10-16-2013, 04:24 PM   #1
Toronto, Ontario to Grand Canyon. Best way through Colorado or New Mexico?

Toronto, Ontario to Grand Canyon. Best way through Colorado or New Mexico?

All things considered, terrain, gas stops, food, things to do/see...

Here is our 6 week plan.

Toronto to Grand Canyon to Phoenix to Houston to New Orleans to Key West

We wont have a car in tow, just the scooters on the hitch rack.

Forgot to add... Leaving Dec1.

2006 Damon Challenger 370 F53 V10
andrew1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2013, 04:46 PM   #2
Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Personally leaving Dec. 1 and taking the Northern route thru Colorado could get a bit dicey. Again it all depends on how adventurous you are. Maybe a bit more to see on the Norhtern route for sure but if it were me I would go thru New Mexico. Still things can be bad there as well. I guess just hope for some good driving weather. Once you're down in Phoenix and the Southern areas all should be OK. Be sure to check for reservations around the Canyon area. I don't know when the outer parks may close (or if they do) but I know the interior parks are closed Oct. 15. You don't say where you'll be enetering the States but the Southern route as far as terrain will be a much easier drive as far as elevations. You'll still hit some elevations but nowhere near what they would be coming from theNorthern area. Good luck hope you have a great trip.

Steve & Sally / HiTee & Hudson Our Little Poms / Heidi & Houston Forever in our Hearts
04 NEWMAR MACA 3778 W22 / 05 PT Vert
Michigan (Summer) Florida (Winter)
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 05:46 PM   #3
Winnebago Owners Club
Save yourself a lot of anxiety and take the southern route through New Mexico. Make a short detour south of Grant, N.M. and see El Morro National Monument Great history and scenery and you can go from there to Petrified Forest and Painted Desert and be back on I-40. When you start out from Flagstaff be sure and stop at Sunset Crater Natl. Monument and maybe Wupatki which are all on the way to the east entrance of Grand Canyon which is the most spectacular.

When you come back down I-10 to Texas stop off at Ft. Davis, Tx and see the old fort and the Davis Mtns. State Park which is great. Make sure you see The Alamo in San Antonio and also take the Mission Trails. If the wind gets too high pull over and just relax. We have some great state parks in Texas along your route and you can make FREE reservations. Even with the admission fee to the parks the camping rate is a bargain. If you have problems in Houston give us a call and we'll be glad to help
jwyoming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:41 PM   #4
Remember that Flagstaff (and the south rim of the Grand Canyon) is at 7000 ft of elevation. So be prepared for colder temperatures and the possibility of early winter snow storms.

There is an RV park (run by concessionaire) on the south rim of the Grand Canyon ... make sure that it is still open in your time frame ... there is also an RV park in Williams with a train that runs to the Grand Canyon daily I believe.

Between Flagstaff and Phoenix (actually just a little west of I-17) are the cities of Prescott and Sedona ... they are scenic and frequented by many tourists.
2004 Winnebago Journey 39W - 2012 Buick Enclave
Present @home Home: Oshkosh, WI
We call our rig "Ernie the Journey"

skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 09:43 AM   #5
Don't rely on clear roads through Colorado in December, especially not northern Colorado. May be okay but things change there in hours. My recommendation is stay south at least as far as I-40 through New Mexico, and even that road can get hit hard in the winter, and sometimes closes due to sudden heavy snows and ice. A bit out of the way but a nice drive is U.S. 60 across central NM into Arizona, then north to Grand Canyon. However, the Flagstaff and Grand Canyon areas can, and often do have nasty winter weather. We lived in NW new Mexico for many years... not the best time for traveling through that area.
'99 Diplomat 38A- "High Plains Drifter"
'02 Wrangler Tender
dwkerch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 09:54 AM   #6
Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Cold at the Canyon all winter. If you have never experienced weather at high elevation it can and will surprise you. The Canyon gets snow and cold from Oct. to May. Even the Elk migrate down to 4 or 5,000 foot elevations. Way lower than the rim of the Canyon.

"96" HR Navigator, 38' no slides, Cummins, Allison
next stop
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote