Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2008, 07:45 AM   #15

I have another question for you seasoned RV's. I was told that I should re-winterize the RV on the way back up to Toronto. Where would be the best place to do this? And can anyone recommend an RV service centre that they have used that would be on our way up?

Thanks

Mathew & Christopher, the kids
Josephg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2008, 01:27 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Joe and Michelle

What I do is if there is a warm front timed nicely for our trip home I will wait till we get home to winterize and do it in my driveway the next day.

If the forecast is for cold temps I will winterize at the campground the evening before we leave. If you cant or dont want to do it yourself maybe the campground you stay at can help you.

Good luck...

Steve

Old 02-19-2008, 02:34 PM   #17

When are you coming back? If it is later in March or April you may not have to winterize at all. If the temp is not going below freezing very much or for very long it shouldn't be a problem.
Old 02-19-2008, 04:06 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
average low temp for end of March in Toronto is 28 F
Old 02-19-2008, 04:42 PM   #19

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JavaJelly:
Sorry not have caught this sooner. From Buffalo area. Agree w/the routes everyone has mentioned. Although I never take 75 even in bad weather. West Virginia has redone all the interstate and toll road. It is great now.

One problem w/this route is the lack of places to stay until you hit Fort Chiswell Virginia. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We have taken the I-79 route to Florida several times from Rochester. There is an excellent state park just south of Weston, WVA called Stonewall Jackson State Park. It is a brand new state park with full hookups. Sites are all back-in, but it can handle larger rigs.

Stonewall Jackson State Park is off exit 91 on I-79. It's just a few miles off the expressway. We have used this stop-over several times on our way south to Florida.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 08:52 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Pusherman,

Is this State Park open all year?

I should have qualified my statement a bit. I meant after November 1st there aren't any places. My biggest problem is traveling this route in December - February.
JavaJelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 03:03 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Pusherman,

I got to wondering about this state park and thought I had missed something. I checked this a.m. They are closed in November until April.

Looks like an absolutely beautiful place. Once I get the chance to camp in season again, I think we'll try it out.

BTW, the website said it was a two night minimum stay.
Old 02-20-2008, 05:46 AM   #22

Will be heading back lask week of March so still a good chance of delow 32 F this time of year for Toronto.

Mathew & Christopher, the kids
Josephg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 06:21 AM   #23

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JavaJelly:
Pusherman,

Is this State Park open all year?

I should have qualified my statement a bit. I meant after November 1st there aren't any places. My biggest problem is traveling this route in December - February. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Scott, the campground at Stonewall Jackson Resort is open all year. Here is a link to their website.

I just called and they verified they are open all year. Their number is (304) 269-8889.

We have stayed there at least twice in mid-March. It's attached to a resort. Nice golf course, etc. Each stay was an overnight stay only.

During the summer months they may require reservations and the 2-night stay, but not in the off season.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 06:59 AM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Thank you very much for clearing that up. I somehow got to the central state park information and it definitely said something different.

This is great information for us as it is 7 hours from home and a great first/last days trip. Thanks again for the great tip.
Old 02-20-2008, 01:20 PM   #25

It has to be below freezing for a number of hours before your lines will freeze up. One night below freezing if it warms up during the day will not do it. I would wait until you get back and see how the weather is before winterizing again. You should have plenty of time. I left my MH till end of October and then drive it south. Came back last year around middle of April. It snowed over a foot and was below freezing on a number of days till end of month. No problem. It is a pain and needless expense if you don't need to do twice.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:46 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
We are going south for two weeks March 8th to 24th. When I get home I will use one gallon of antifreeze through the lines. Bypass waterheater take hose off waterpump. 5 minutes Cost 3 dollars.
Old 02-20-2008, 04:28 PM   #27

Stevw We are leaving on March 16, Are you going I-75???

Rick
Old 02-21-2008, 12:55 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Rick we are taking the 79 route as we are going to Myrtle beach. We just decided this trip a few days ago when we got all that snow.

I hope we get some warm weather soon so that I can dig the Motorhome out.

Steve