Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2012, 04:15 PM   #1

Toronto to PEI and Back

Hello folks,

I wonder if anyone has been on a trip from Toronto to Prince Edward Island. I am going to take my family on a 3 - 4 week trip and would love to end up in PEI. I made reservations for July 23 - 30 and other than that I am open to suggestions.

Ideas so far are
Toronto - Montreal (Camp Alouette)
Montreal to Edmundston, NB (Camping Panoramic)
Edmundston to Moncton (Camper's City RV)
Moncton to Cavendish, PE (Marco Polo Land)

The only thing booked so far is the PEI Campground. We are going to do a little touring of Montreal. Edmundston is just a stop over. Moncton will be a 2 -3 day stop to go to Hopewell Rocks and the tidal bore.

I am thinking of taking a route home through Maine, NH, VT & NY. Any suggestions for that leg of the trip?

I have two children (7 and 3). They are used to a maximum of 6 hours driving at a time.

Thanks for any info that you might be able to provide.

Mike

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2012, 04:32 PM   #2

Wellsir, if you check out the web site for the province of New Brunswick, you'll find mention of 5 or 6 suggested driving tours. I liked the Lighthouse Route but the others look good, too!

"Road Ranger" (Lenny!) RCMPolice Veteran #25XXX
"Geminimajic" (Gloria!)
2012 Open Range 386FLR 5'ver towed by (TBD)
Road Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 05:06 PM   #3

Thanks for the tip! I am newish around here. I will check out the area you suggested.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 03-26-2012, 05:52 PM   #4

I live in Prince Edward Island and will be glad to help you out with anything I can in regards to the Island. Here is a link to our travel guide http://m.tourismpei.com/pei-downloads there is a lot of good info in it. You will be comming in from New Brunswick and will be comming across on the bridge, there is no cost to cross over to the island only when you leave. You have two choices when leaving. You can return on the bridge or the ferry across to Nova Scotia. Good luck with your plans I know planning is all part of the fun. Let me know if there is any thing I can do to help.

Cheers for now

Frank
Old 03-26-2012, 06:25 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome to God's country

Musicman you will have a great trip. You have chosen two of the best camp grounds you will find. Camper City and Marco Polo Land are awesome. My home is only ten minutes from Camper City. Try to visit Magnetic Hill and Magic Mountain while in Moncton. They are part of the same facility. If you want any information on the area, feel free to contact me at mcclureakita@yahoo.ca
WELCOME TO THE MARITIMES!!!!!

I PLAN TO LIVE FOREVER. IT'S WORKING SO FAR.
Akibase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 06:41 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My wife is a Canuck, and of course that makes me a naturalized one? This thread will make her soooooo happy we love the great white north, and now that we have a MH, we will see Canada another way.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 06:43 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Musicman. I have a few tips for you for the return trip. Plan to visit St. Andrews by the Sea. Kiwanis park on the ocean. Plan for a day in this supurb little town. There are a few good parks near Bangor, Me, which is only 2 hours by car from St. Andrews or if you want to keep heading West continue on I95 South about 25 mi. to Hwy 2. There are a few nice campgrounds in and around Bangor. If you want to keep going you can continue to Gorham, NH (Nice little liquor store there with no tax) and then south to North Conway. Factory outlets there. You will be driving through the White Mountains here and there are quite a few decent campgrounds in the area. Mt. Washington and other attrations are in that area. It's worth a day or so. Head west up to St. Johnsbury,vt . If you want to avoid Montreal I'd suggest one of two routes. 1) take 91 or 89North to hwy 30. Take 30 west to Salaberry de Valleyfield and then up to Hwy 20 W and then west. 2) at St. J you will hit Hwy 2 again and take that west until the turnoff to Cornwall and 401.
I know this route very well having travelled it on average 4 times yearly for past 10 years. I do not take the TCH through Quebec or NB.
There is a nice campground in Cabano, Qc about 1/2 way between Riviere du Loup and Edmundston, NB that you might enjoy on your way to PEI. You might also want to stop in Shediac NB where there are several campgrounds on the ocean and lots and lots of lobster within walking distance.
Have a good vacation.
Mark
Old 03-30-2012, 11:01 PM   #8

Thanks for all the feedback. We have expanded the outbound leg of the trip to include Montréal and Québec City. After PEI we will be staying at St. Andrews by the Sea and then working our way down to Bar Harbor, ME.

Still open to recommendations for the home bound leg of the trip.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 04-17-2012, 10:47 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Musicman, you are on a good track. I'll include another nice stop for you. Mystic, Conn. Lovely small town on the ocean; wonderful seafood and a really great acquarium. BUT, when leaving St. Andrews by the Sea to go to Maine, be sure to stop at Ganongs chocolate factory and/or visit the store as you drive through town. There is a small fish and chip shack on King st. as you drive through and you'll find the best fish and chips there (well except for Mystic). take 2 months and I'll really plan a vacation for you. Let us know about your trip when you get back home.
Mark
Old 04-18-2012, 07:01 AM   #10

Hi Mark,

I think that would be fantastic but we only have 1 month! The kids might start a mutiny if we drive that much. I do appreciate your comments and I am looking forward to St. Andrew's.

Now I am just debating the route from Bar Harbour to Toronto with a couple of stops in between.

Cheers,

Mike