Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:13 PM   #15
Tiffin Owners Club
We whittled it down a bit - dropping San Fran and likely going to Sequoia instead of Yosemite. Has taken off about 500 kms, and one less day of driving.

Mom and Pop to 3 kidlets,
Enjoying our travels in our 2012 Phaeton 40QKH
terapin-bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2011, 09:15 PM   #16
Live in So Cal so I can help on that part. I agree with kids skip Vegas. After Grand Canyon I would hit Sedona Arizona area. Tough to get into from the north (Flagstaff) because a very windy road for about 10 miles. Beautiful pine forests and spectacular red rock and nice stream/river for tubing, fishing, etc. Some nice parks in the area but expensive. Was told a really nice part about 20 miles s of Sedona but don't recall name.

In the LA area, I can recommend Canyon RV park in Anaheim. Good size sites, wooded, and only about 20 minutes to disneyland. Only downside right off 91 freeway so you hear rode noise.

North of LA up 101 to SFO some nice parks. We like Cachuma lake above Santa Barbara (county park on a beautiful lake) and I understand Pismo Beach has a nice park. 101 is a beatiful drive, not as nice as 1 but I would hesitate to take one in a 40 DP.

You are really putting a lot of miles on your family in a short time. Have fun

2001 Safari Panther
Tiger Track, Koni shocks
Newbe Southern California based
pvrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 11:16 PM   #17
Interesting trip! As a Californian, I vote for definitely seeing Sequoia or Yosemite. Taking the 101 between L.A. and San Francisco is beautiful. As for Las Vegas..I don't know, we've been going there for a long time with kids, and without (ours are now grown and go on their own!). Still a fun place to stay..try the Oasis RV Park as you come into town from the south. Kids would enjoy seeing the lions at the MGM Grand, eating at the Rainforest Cafe there, the themed hotels like Excalibur, the volcano at the Mirage, etc! If nothing else...just drive down Las Vegas Blvd ("The Strip") to gawk at all the sights! Oh, and see the fountains at the Bellagio...especially at night, timed to music, with lights..truly beautiful.
Definitely see Bryce, if you're going to be at Zion. We're going there in July, after a 9 yr absence! Also seeing Capitol Reef and Grand Canyon this time too. Disneyland and California Adventure is always great..not sure about RV parks there, as I'm a born and raised So. Californian, so never camped there.
Will look forward to hearing more about your trip plans! Have fun!!
caroled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 09:31 AM   #18
Tiffin Owners Club
This is our new itinerary (we've dropped a few places):

end of May - mid-June (all distances approximate, bolded place names are destinations, unbolded are just approximate stopping overnight places)

day 1 Toronto to Sarnia 300km
day 2 Indiana 700km
day 3 Oklahoma 700km
day 4 Amarillo, TX 700km
day 5 Albuquerque/Petrified Forest 550km - short visit
day 6 Grand Canyon 650km
day 7 Grand Canyon
day 8 near Mohave National Preserve 500km
day 9 Disneyland 300km
day 10 Disneyland
day 11 Disneyland
day 12 Disneyland and area
day 13 Sequoia National Park 450km
day 14 Sequoia National Park
day 15 Sequioa National park
day 16 Las Vegas 650km
day 17 Bryce Canyon 450km
day 18 Bryce Canyon
day 19 Bryce Canyon
day 20 Arches 450 km
day 21 Arches
day 22 Arches
day 23 Colorado 800km
day 24 Iowa 800km
day 25 Michigan 800km
day 26 home 650km

Comments? Ambitious, yes. Long drives, yes. Awesome, hopefully!

If we need to take another day to get home we can but it would be better if DH returned to work on day 27.
Mom and Pop to 3 kidlets,
Enjoying our travels in our 2012 Phaeton 40QKH
terapin-bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 06:37 PM   #19
Smile Updates

I'm planning a similar trip in July; Ohio - SF and back. I would love to hear how things go! I hope you'll keep us updated.

Leeah is offline   Reply With Quote