Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-15-2016, 12:32 PM   #1

Towing through Dallas... What should I expect?

I'm planning a trip to San Antonio for the spring and one leg of the trip will go from Sherman, TX to Georgetown, TX. Both Google Maps and Good Sam Trip Planner take me right through downtown Dallas. I've heard horror stories about the Dallas Freeway system and, as this will be my first trip pulling my new fifth-wheel, I'm a bit nervous about the routing. I'm hoping some of you who have made it through Dallas can shed some insight on how best to either get through it, or around it.

P.S.: Truck is on order; hope to have by late January.
Old Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2016, 01:36 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Any major city can have a nightmare on the highways. It's just a matter of timing. Avoid arriving in Dallas any time near rush hours. Mid day traffic is always lighter.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 01:57 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Went through Dallas earlier this year and did so the year before. Both times to see my sister in Flower Mound. It seems like every freeway in Dallas metro is under major reconstruction. So much so that as the freeway moves you off the freeway to the right or left so much the gps thinks you've gotten off the freeway and starts giving surface street directions! Pretty much became useless. 35e and35w both were a mess.
Get a good hard copy map and plot the route with your navigator ahead of time. Avoid anything close to rush hours. ( I couldn't) Keep up with traffic and stay in a center middle lane if possible to avoid right lane ending and traffic merging on. Plan ahead for your exit. There is no really good way around ..at least that I know of or my sister recommended .. it is what it is. Wasn't a big deal for me but I was a truck driver pulling triples in my prior life , so not much gets to me. Lol
Old 12-15-2016, 02:20 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Last time we went through Dallas it was 8am on Sunday morning. Hardly any traffic at all.

I suspect on Friday afternoon it would be a different story.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 02:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Bill View Post
I'm hoping some of you who have made it through Dallas can shed some insight on how best to either get through it, or around it.
Bill,

I live in far north Dallas and my mother-in-law lives in Georgetown and our daughter's family lives in Temple, so we go that way quite often (every 3-4 weeks).

First) unless you want to go to Louisiana or New Mexico, there is NO around.

2nd) Sherman is a about an hour north of downtown Dallas and Georgetown is about 3 hours south of downtown. Just north of downtown, you will need to take the cross-town freeway that goes from US 75 on the east to I-35 on the west.

Texas has been good about painting highway numbers and Interstate shields in the proper lanes on the pavement to tell you what lane to get into to make your route.

Downtown traffic is MUCH less after 10AM and before 3PM, so if you leave Sherman at 9AM or so, you'll be AFTER the Dallas traffic.

Farther south, Hillsboro has NO traffic. Waco is also pretty clean. You might hit a tie-up in the heavy construction on the north side of Temple and south in Salado, but by spring some of what is there now might be cleaned up.

Just take a deep breath. I have driven major cities in all of the lower 48 states and if you time it right, Dallas traffic is easier than most.

Tim
Healeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 04:48 AM   #6

Well, it appears I'll just have to grin and bear it since there's no easy way around. Appreciate the info regarding days and times that would be best.

Thanks to each of you.
Old Bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing