Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2005, 05:06 PM   #1

We plan to take a trip to Minnesota later this year to visit the wifes family. Will be towing a 26-foot TT, but we have to go through the Twin cities(Minneapolis/St.Paul) to get there. We have driven this route many times in a car, but towing a trailer will be a first. What do most of you do. Go straight through on I-94, or take one of the bypasses, either I-494 or I-694. Any and all advise would be help. thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2005, 05:06 PM   #2

We plan to take a trip to Minnesota later this year to visit the wifes family. Will be towing a 26-foot TT, but we have to go through the Twin cities(Minneapolis/St.Paul) to get there. We have driven this route many times in a car, but towing a trailer will be a first. What do most of you do. Go straight through on I-94, or take one of the bypasses, either I-494 or I-694. Any and all advise would be help. thanks
Old 02-03-2005, 01:51 AM   #3

We have traveled that route many times, including another trip to Cass Lake this coming July. We take 694 around if your planning on joining up with I-35 North.

I lived/grew up in St Paul and have always avoided the Minneapolis side of things..

Good Luck!
Old 02-05-2005, 01:18 PM   #4

There is an excellent Campground in ApplyValley right off the interstate in St Paul. Forgot the name of it, but it is run by the County. Also visit the Capital building while you are there. It's probably the best looking capital in Anmerica inside IMO. s/Toby
Old 02-05-2005, 01:38 PM   #5

I didn't see where you asked about a camp-grounds---but as long as whats his name mentioned the county campground----its called Lebanon Hills---its in Apple Valley (which is south suburb splitting Mpls/St Paul) is very nice and directly across the road from the Minnesota Zoo. Now about your question---it all depends if your final destination is southwest of Mpls/St Paul or West/Northwest of Mpls/St Paul. If south or southwest you will want to take 494 if northwest of Twin Cities then take 694. If directly west then go straight thru. Don't know your final destination so hard to say for sure. Of course alot depends on time of day----they do have a rush hour which effects all routes. We pull a 26 ft trailer and have never had any problem going on any of these routes. PJRACER
Old 02-05-2005, 01:40 PM   #6

gossmar, Where are you going to? Makes a difference which side of metro area to go around although there is heavy construction in southwest area.

Toby, Campground is Lebenon Hills County park just down the road from the Minnesota Zoo.
RVwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 01:42 PM   #7

Jayco Owners Club
Gossamar,

Here is the web site for up to the minute traffic.

http://www.dot.state.mn.us/tmc/traff...efreshmap.html

I've operated mostly in Minneapolis and I think 35E through St. Paul is better too. Worst hours are like any medium city 6:00am to 6:00pm is busiest. I'd say 3:00PM to 6:00PM being the worst.

If you're heading up 94, then take 35W. Close your eyes and floor it.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 04:10 PM   #8

Whoops, sorry should have included the destination. The wife's family is in Cold Spring, just south of St. Cloud. That will be destination for night one. The next day the family has reserved the Whippoorwill(?) resort by Park Rapids for a few days. Then we get to turn around a make the 11-hour drive back home. I was thinking more about the 694 route as I was unsure of the Tunnel restrictions going through the twin cities. I am currently researching camping areas along 94 in wisconsin between Eu Claire and Tomah. Any ideas?
Old 02-08-2005, 05:05 PM   #9

Jayco Owners Club
There is a tunnel going through Minneapolis and I think there is a restriction for Propane tanks but I'm not sure. The 694 route is what I would take if I was coming up through Wisconsin etc. You can check that MNDOT site for road construction too.

I'd take 694 and then 94 to St. Cloud and then down to Cold Spring on 23.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 05:06 PM   #10

First Off: The KOA at Hixton ( I think it is) which is between Tomah and Eau Claire. Not your typical KOA----a really nice scenic family run campgrounds with easy exit and re-entrance to I-94. Now the Twin Cities------long way around is #694----no problem with any tunnels or bridges going straight thru----it all depends on time of day (rush and all)---and you are home free. WE plan on being up at Park Rapids around the last week of July----on Long Lake at Spruce Hill Campground. This campground is not listed in Trailer Life----as they don't care for the extortion tactics of their listing people/advertising people. Have a nice trip--------if I can be of any other help let me know. PJRACER