Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2016, 04:18 PM   #1

TransCanada Hwy

starting the big run this summer Calgary to newfoundland about 3800 miles before heading to Florida, anyone have any experience on taking a 40 footer on the ferry or should one find a good campground and park the motor home and bring the car over? or leave both and rent a car and motel it for 3 weeks?heard a lot of different opinions. I think it is a long boat ride and the rock is a big place like 4000 miles long, don't wanna sell the farm just to get my equipment over there either. hope someone can help TOM AND JOANNE 2016 THOR Tuscany XTE 36MQ with Pontiac G5 toad
tombottcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2016, 05:02 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by tombottcat View Post
I think it is a long boat ride and the rock is a big place like 4000 miles long, don't wanna sell the farm just to get my equipment over there either.
I'm not familiar with Newfoundland but would like to go there. Are you saying Newfoundland is 4000 miles long??

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 05:32 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Not an issue with a 40ft unit going over to Newfoundland on the ferry. Lots to see there; stays of 20-25 days at campgrounds and you'll still not see it all. Would recommend the North Sydney, NS and Port aux Basques, NL; should cost about $400 each way, 40ft with 2 adults.

Going across Canada through Northern Ontario - be prepared that there is not a lot to see and not many places to pull out when on the highway. Did it once, and now go across Canada "through the states". Drop down at Winnipeg and around the great lakes south of Chicago and back up on east side of Lake Ontario (Thousand Island crossing). Not much to see around Toronto, IMHO.

Brian

EDIT: Highway 1 (TransCanada Hwy) is 900km long on Newfoundland; the island is only about 400 to 450 km east-west, 200-250km north-south.
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 08:19 PM   #4

thnxs for the edit Brian, added to many zero's. really looking to the trip, may the sun be in your face and the wind at your back my friend
Old 03-06-2016, 09:08 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
As a OTR driver I would go east from Winnipeg to Thunder Bay and on Hwy 17 thru Lake Country then thru Ottawa to which ever road you want, drop south over the St Lawrence and once on the other side, east to your destination.

I wish you the best and have a great ride.

Old 03-06-2016, 09:29 PM   #6
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
I'd love to do a cross Canada trip. I'd want to do it to see the country I live in at least one way, then come back through the States for a different view.

As far as the Ferry, I haven't taken the Newfoundland Ferry however, I took the Ferry from Vancouver to Vancouver Island. It cost me $818 return with our 40' DP towing our 1/2 ton. A total of 68'
Normally the Ferries have a reduced rate on certain days after certain hours.
Also, if you are towing, it's normally cheaper to split the rig and load coach and toad separately rather than one connected unit.
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 01:29 PM   #7

You can visit Marine Atlantic | Home to get your ferry answers. Last month I booked a Newfoundland R/T for this summer taking the long ferry and the short, including a berth the cost was $1324. My coach and toad is 62'. Of course you are Canadian so the price is totally different. When I booked the exchange was .39 and last I checked it has fallen to .32.

I priced coach and toad separate but the price in my case was higher.

So looking forward to the visit and hoping the seas are not 10'+ . Will visit the Maritimes for 62 days.
osok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 01:42 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
We went across Canada from BC to PEI.
Decided against going to NFLD due to the length
of time for the ferry. We have a dog and they MUST
remain on the car deck in your RV. I understand you are
not allowed onto the car deck once the ferry is underway.

The short run is just over 7 hours and the long way is 13 hours.

A friend took the long way, got caught in an ice jam and the ferry
was stuck in ice for three days.

High winds can also slow down the run so be prepared.

I was also told to book way in advance if you are taking an RV.

Going to PEI from Nova Scotia....getting on the island is FREE.
You pay to get off. Best way to go is take the ferry to the island
and the Confederation bridge back. You pay per axle. We paid
$60.00 for a 40 foot towing a car.
The ferry would be a lot more.

Enjoy the trip. Allow yourself lots of time.
luckyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 02:12 PM   #9

You can kennel pets $16.75 cdn, or leave them in your RV. Marine Atlantic | Port Aux Basques - North Sydney Rates

It is correct you can not visit your vehicle. If you kennel you can visit the kennel and feed your pet.
osok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 02:29 PM   #10

Stay on hey 17 lots to see, we went as far as PEI the ferry to Newfoundland was just to much $$ at the time so we stayed at summer side PEI great place
It's a long drive so enjoy it , when you get to thunderbay take the north shore along Lake Superior , very nice, there's a nice koa camp ground in sault are Marie to stay at for the night .
Try to get fuel at the Indian reserves it will save a few bucks in fuel
gbstewart
gbstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 10:53 PM   #11

Spent almost 5 weeks visiting Newfoundland last summer - put about 3600 miles on the rig on the island in that time. Ferry from N. Sydney, NS to Port aux Basque, NL is about 5 hours. Dog does fine for that time in his own space. Kennel is your provided crate on a shelf in a small compartment. He was happier in the rig! Ferry from Argentia, NL to N. Sydney is about 12 hours - didn't opt for that one with the pooch. Lots to see there - Norsk heritage, icebergs, puffins. Word of caution - MOST of the water supplies have a posted boil order, since it comes from surface sources rather than drilled wells (they do call it the Rock for a reason...). We took a couple of collapsible containers to haul extra water from places that did have potable water. Also used bleach to sanitize water for drinking (Google search...). Just had to plan a bit in advance... We were glad we went! ST

2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P, 1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC, 1989-1993 Tents!
Loggenrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 11:14 PM   #12

thnxs so much for the heads up on the water situation on the rock,wil fill the tanks and carry a couple of flats,looking forward to the run, nothing like life on the road
Old 03-07-2016, 11:21 PM   #13

really appreciate all of the information guys, this information really helps. The ferry sounds kinda scary,don't like water to much, flat lander ya no?
Old 03-08-2016, 12:53 AM   #14

It is true that there isn't many areas to pull over in northern Ont. but if it's your first trip across there enjoy it. It would be a good idea to get the Gasbuddy app for your phone. I often go south at Wpg. into North Dakota/ Minnesota to Hwy #2 across to Sault Ste. Marie and into Ottawa and points east. When you get near Montreal you'll want to avoid the Trans Canada Hwy # 40 that cuts across the island to the Lafontaine Tunnel Hwy # 20 to Quebec City. Instead there is a new bypass near Vaudreuil-Dorion. Take Hwy. 30 across the St. Lawrence River (toll bridge), this will take you across the south shore of Montreal joining up to Hwy. # 20 toward Quebec City missing all the traffic on the island of Montreal. There are only 3 choices for campgrounds near Montreal. 1- KOA at Coteau du-Lac 2- KOA at Saint Philippe 3- Alouette at Saint-Mathieu-de-Beloeil
Montreal is a great city to visit, history, food, classy women. Be sure to visit Old Montreal. Quebec City is another great place to visit. You can step back in time to the 1600's in Old Quebec and visit the Plains of Abraham. When you are in French Canada don't listen to all the negative things you've heard about a few bad apples. Most people are very helpful and friendly. If you don't speak much French no worries, the odd word like bonjour or merci will go a long way for you. There is also a large English community there as well. Most of all enjoy your memorable trip across Canada.
trux is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canada, ada