Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2016, 11:20 AM   #1

Question Travel from NY to Virginia question

Admiral and I will be traveling with our Bus 39 from Upstate NY to the Virginia Beach area shortly. The mapping shows the best route as around the beltway on the east side of DC Route 495, which I have read is a nightmare.

Any suggestions as to a better route? Our plan is to stay somewhere near the PA border Sunday and proceed down that way on a Monday.

Advise greatly appreciated
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2016, 11:27 AM   #2

81 south to 64 east to 295 around Richmond then follow 64 to the beach,

keeping you away from Baltimore,DC.

2016 Newmar London Aire
Burgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 11:38 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Or, exit I-95 at Route 1 in Delaware. Go southbound to US Route 13 all the way to VA Beach. This will take you through the Eastern Shore of DE, MD and VA, and will keep you completely away from Baltimore and D.C. It is rural and uncrowded as soon as you get about 15-20 miles from I-95. There is a toll on the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel of about $23 if you are towing, which varies depending on how many axles you have and is higher if you don't use EZ-Pass.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 11:39 AM   #4

Nor'easters Club
We follow I81 south to I66 east to Rte 17. Follow that to I95 , just north of Fredricksburg. Great fuel pricing in Ruther Glen. Then I295 around Richmond and follow I64 to Virginia Beach.
Old 04-04-2016, 11:39 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
There are a couple of options. I am from upstate NY but now live in Virginia Beach. When we travel north, we almost always take the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel up US 13 through VA's eastern shore, MD and DE to I-95 for a short stretch and then take I-476 North around Philly to the NE Extension of the PA turnpike to I-81. There are tolls (the bridge tunnel and the turnpike) but it takes us away from the traffic congestion and is a shorter drive. You could take the reverse path of our trip north and follow it to Va Beach. (I-81 to NE Extension of PA Turnpike to I-476 South to I-95 South, to US-13/Del Rte 1 South to Va Beach.

Otherwise, the I-81 to I-64 suggestion is a good one, but a long drive. Another option would be I-81 to I-83 South to US-15 South and follow US-15 down to Manassas, VA and then cut over to I-95 and go south from there, bypassing D.C and Baltimore traffic but still catching some of the I-95 traffic south to I-295/I-64 outside of Richmond.
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 11:53 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsflight View Post
We follow I81 south to I66 east to Rte 17. Follow that to I95 , just north of Fredricksburg. Great fuel pricing in Ruther Glen. Then I295 around Richmond and follow I64 to Virginia Beach.
That is our route to and from Florida. Except we stay on 95 of course after going around Richmond.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 11:57 AM   #7

Don-

One way to avoid I-95 in Maryland is to take 695 (beltway) east around Baltimore, cross the Francis Scott Key Bridge, then take Routes 97-3-301 south through Crofton, LaPlata and into Virginia. In Port Royal you can turn left to Route 17 or continue to near Richmond to 295 and 64. There's stop-and-go traffic on Route 301 in Maryland, but the Virginia portion is relaxing driving.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 12:03 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
Or, exit I-95 at Route 1 in Delaware. Go southbound to US Route 13 all the way to VA Beach. This will take you through the Eastern Shore of DE, MD and VA, and will keep you completely away from Baltimore and D.C. It is rural and uncrowded as soon as you get about 15-20 miles from I-95. There is a toll on the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel of about $23 if you are towing, which varies depending on how many axles you have and is higher if you don't use EZ-Pass.

I have done this trip several times and it is a time saver, sparsely traveled, and
scenic. The Bay Bridge Tunnel is easily done.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 12:04 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
DC should only be approach between the hours of 2:59AM and 3:00AM. All other times the place should be avoided. Yes it can be a nightmare even outside of rush hour. Further south in the Norfolk/Va Beach area traffic is pretty much around rush hour(s). 6AM-8AM and a repeat at 4PM to 6PM.

I81 south to I64 east is a good route. Your other option is from I81 south to I66 east for a bit then US17 south to I95 south. At Richmond take the bypass, I295 to I64 east.

If you have the time taking US13 from Wilmington DE all the way south thru the Delmarva peninsula is a nice drive. Good roads with light traffic but the bridge tunnel to Va Beach has a toll which can be as much as $20+ depending on the number of axles on your coach and toad.

I95 thru Baltimore has a propane restriction for the underwater tunnels that will force a detour if your travels take you that direction. I64 into Norfolk also has a tunnel with an inspection stop where you will be asked to just off any propane tank valves. Same for the US13 bridge tunnel if you choose that route.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 12:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
That is our route to and from Florida. Except we stay on 95 of course after going around Richmond.
Don't get on 95. Follow the Rt17 bypass around Fredericksburg. Follow 17 thru Tappahannock , VA.until you get south of Glouster, VA. Pick up I64. 17 is 4 lane most of the way, a beautiful drive.
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 12:30 PM   #11

Thanks Burgy, I checked that route, adds about an hour but well worth the time as opposed to the potential traffic around those two cities. We are looking at staying in an RV park either in Gettysburg or Chambersburg PA for the night as I don't know the area well enough to count on finding a safe parking area.
Old 04-04-2016, 01:12 PM   #12

Thanks to everyone, the other posts did not show up when I replied back the first time. I'll look at all these great suggestions.
Old 04-04-2016, 01:19 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nana25K View Post
Don't get on 95. Follow the Rt17 bypass around Fredericksburg. Follow 17 thru Tappahannock , VA.until you get south of Glouster, VA. Pick up I64. 17 is 4 lane most of the way, a beautiful drive.
I don't understand your post. How is he getting from NY to rt 17 in Frederickburg??
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 01:25 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
I don't understand your post. How is he getting from NY to rt 17 in Frederickburg??
I-81 exits onto US 17 near Winchester VA and runs SSE across I-95 and down through Gloucester and Newport News to I-64 East about 10-15 minutes north of the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel on I-64 that connects to Norfolk and eventually Virginia Beach.
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel