Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2017, 09:51 AM   #15

I think some of this depends on what part of the country. I had always been a fan of interstates. Till I traveled thru Colorado and Arizona on secondary highways. These were full of scenery and in some cases the only way. Traffic was light or non-existent. Stoplights and signs far and few between. On our return trip we were on interstates and I quickly discovered what many had talked about. Interstate was busy and had some degree of traffic majority of they way home.
With that said the secondary highways in Indiana and Kentucky have stop lights and are typically almost as busy as the interstates.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2017, 10:03 AM   #16

Have been to the Forrest River rally twice and to the factory in Elkhart twice. Took the Pa TP to I 76 into Ohio and all back roads to and from Goshen every time. Neat little towns and a lot of beautiful farm country. So it took a little longer, to see this great country is worth the time!

Old 07-24-2017, 10:22 AM   #17

Forest River Owners Club
I prefer the secondary roads when taking out the RV. The lower speed limits make me feel safer when towing because I limit my top speed to 70 mph with my PUP. It will be around 65 mph when I get my TT. Detours happen even on interstates and construction/accidents turns them into slow moving parking lots quickly enough.

My only issue with secondary roads is their condition. Unless you have been there before some of them are pretty rough but then even some interstates are just as bad. Try cruising I-40 east bound through New Mexico to see what I mean. At the end of the day though, secondary roads are less stressful and offer up lots of scenery you don't get on the interstates.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:51 AM   #18

Yep! This year for a change, ran route 15 from Gettysburg,PA to Raleigh,NC. All secondary roads. Stayed in a very nice SP c.f. in VA. Only real traffic to speak of was one construction site for 10 minutes and the traffic when we got there! Nice relaxing ride. Will do it again next year.
Old 07-24-2017, 04:07 PM   #19

We also prefer back roads, using the interstate as needed due to schedules.
Bosunmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 05:28 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Interstates are my last choice.
Tetonchief is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 06:01 PM   #21

Interstates through cities most of the time. Outside of the city I really prefer doing 50-55 down a rural 2 lane that 4 lane with a constant stream of trucks annoyed because I am doing 60-65.
Old 07-24-2017, 06:05 PM   #22

We travel both regularly. One time we were travelling in New Brunswick going to the maritimes, and we took a back hiway because it looked like it might be a scenic route. It took us down this mountain we didnt know was there until we got to it. We were driving a 37ft gas motorhome. By the time we hit the bottom the brakes were hot hot hot. You dont get suprises like that on major hiways and interstates but you also dont get to see the local stuff you see on the back roads.
Old 07-24-2017, 07:32 PM   #23

We are mostly interstate but I prefer nice state/us highways with light traffic, few tight turns, and few stop lights. (Hard to find those without local knowledge.)
Anyhow at our size for me it is a must to have truck stops handy and know there are not low bridges etc.

Tom
Old 07-24-2017, 08:10 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Mostly interstates. Wider roads, safer since everyone is going the same way, about same speed, no cross streets, and no stop lights. Small towns all start to look the same, seen enough corn, wheat and silos.
We are going to the next destination, we just do short days below the speed limit to reduce stress.
Old 07-28-2017, 01:54 PM   #25

We take the Interstates. I'm too lazy to want to deal with narrow, twisting two lane roads. It's not about speed; I usually set the cruise at 61 or so and just take it easy. The toad has a recommended tow speed of 65 or less, so I keep it low.

The stop and go stuff drives me nuts. Really, I do my sight-seeing AFTER we get there. I'm too busy keeping it between the ditches to be looking at farmers and plows.

If I can't route mostly on interstates, we just go somewhere else.

MYYV

Tom

TLGPE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel