Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2014, 12:37 PM   #1

Travel Planning Assistance

We are not new to camping but always did so in pop-up camper. Our trips were always short ones because we weren't thrilled with setting up the camper every night and taking it down every morning on our way to some place.

We just purchased a 2008 Winnie 29' and are thinking we would like to take some longer trips.

Some destinations that come to mind are Nova Scotia, Yellowstone and other western destinations.

I am sure there is a resource for suggestions on trip planning for longer RV trips but have not yet found it.

I get 4 weeks vacation a year so we would probably plan one two week trip a summer and then camp closer to home the rest of the available time.

I am sure someone can steer me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance,

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2014, 12:51 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Hi Tim. Take a look at rvparks review.com, allstays.com and rvparky.com for information about parks. We are full-timers and don't travel more then 4 hours a day. Check the tires on your Winnie. If 6 years old or more replace regardless of age. There is a date code u can Google to learn how to read. Others will chime in here with advise. Keep asking question s and read as many threads as you can. Enjoy.

Old 11-27-2014, 12:57 PM   #3

if you have coach net they have a free service that will provide you with a good over view of your trip if you provide your destinations
Old 11-27-2014, 06:24 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi tim myers,
Go to
Travel & Adventure Books - World Guides | National Geographic Store scroll down to the second row of books. You'll find three of the best books I know of to see the USA. Scenic Highways is one and there are two about our National Parks. I've got them all and they are a permanent part of my RV library. If you scroll down a little farther, there are a couple more books about our National Parks.

From there you can venture out to the National Historic Sites at List of U.S. National Historic Landmarks by state - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

By visiting these places I've discovered many additional places in the surrounding area worth visiting. As to having a longer RV, for me, the Park camping facilities must be reserved too far in advance. Consider the privately owned CGs in the areas you are visiting.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 09:48 PM   #5

Gary. Great info I will check those books out.
Old 11-27-2014, 10:15 PM   #6

You're on the best resource - iRV2 forums. Just ask away for specific areas of travel and you'll get a lot of helpful information.

Another site is RV.Net along with RVParkReviews

If you're planning to go to a specific national or state park, just Google its name and a direct site will come up.

Have fun with your new RV. It's a very easy way to travel.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 11:07 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Tim - it would help if we knew approximately where you are starting from.

You are going to have to plan a number of trips if you are only going for a couple weeks. Nova Scotia is in the east and if you are in the area you should spend more than a couple weeks. There are many places to see in the surrounding provinces.

Same thing with Yellowstone. In the surrounding area you will be hard pressed to do justice to the available attractions.

To the west will be the same thing. Oregon coast, San Franciso, Disneyland, etc

Each of the areas you are planning on attending warrant more than two weeks including commute time to see. You will be rushed and disappointed if you try to do too much in too short a time.
Old 11-28-2014, 09:50 AM   #8

Chief, checked the date code and the tires were manufactures 47th week or 2012, so two years old at this point.

Gordon, our home base is Dayton, OH. I agree that two weeks would be really pushing it for a trip where getting then and back would eat up almost a week. I am still working with the other half to understand I can't drive a 15000 vehicle at 75 80 MPH.

For others more experienced than I what is your max driving leg for a day, 8hrs, 10 Hrs?
Old 11-28-2014, 12:17 PM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
8-10 hours is a killer. We keep it around 300 miles max and smell the roses. But then again we are full-timers without a time frame. From Ohio you can do a very nice new england trip or the Carolina's with your 2 week plan. Dont short change yourself going west.
Old 11-28-2014, 01:04 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Yep, the first the challenge is to keep your itineraries realistic.

Driving isn't generally restful or illuminating. You need to try and plan trips where you can spend some quality time exploring and enjoying the things you have specifically gone to see. I know this because I struggle with the "get it all in" syndrome.

In this rush around world, it is sometime hard to slow down and relax. The best way to do it is to set a schedule and stick to it. Plan on spending a day of here and there. It won't kill you if you don't get to everything and will certainly give you a chance to step back and appreciate what this world has to offer.

Allow yourself adequate time. If you only have 2 weeks, then plan a destination that requires no more than 3 days hard driving one way. That gives you some time to stay put. If you are going farther, allow yourself more time. I try to work it so that I spend no more than 50% of time driving to get to and from and the rest is for fun and relaxation.

As for tourism information. Many sources have been listed here already. Some are more RV specific but with a 29' you can pretty much go to any State, Provincial or National Park in NA without much concern about fitting.

The internet is going to be your best resource. In addition to some of those mentioned. Check out state and provincial tourism sites. I don't know about AA in the US but the Canadian Counterparts provides all kinds of travel and tourism info including guide books, maps and so on. Not only can they provide info about local sites but they can obtain for you the regional guides for places you may be intending to travel too.

Word of mouth is also good. Never hurts to ask on places like this or while you are traveling. I have found some real gems of places to stay just by asking at the local restaurant or gas station. Last summer, I got full hookups in a lovely rural setting for $20.00 per night. It was so nice, my DW and I decided to spend a couple of extra days and forgo another place. You just never know.
Old 11-28-2014, 03:25 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Tim

I find this site (see below) interesting. Takes a little navigating to get your info but the reviews of people's trips and routes are interesting.Also gives points of interest.

RoadTrip America - Road Trip Planning for North America

"For GOD'S sake, be human"
Tomtall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 06:31 PM   #12

We average just under 50 mph from the time we pull out in the morning to the time we park in the evening to get to where ever we're going. That includes fuel, rest & lunch stops. We aren't usually in any big hurry though and could trim our length at stops some if we wanted to push it. We also travel with our boxer kids so spend extra time at stops because of them. We cruise at about 62 mph on interstates. Red roads are generally less.

We like to stay 300 miles/day or less and get to our stop well before dark. We allow a minimum of 3 nights at a "destination" which gives us at least 2 full days and depending on what time we arrive, an afternoon or evening. Sometimes, that's enough and other times it's not but we at least have a good idea what we want to see and do on our next trip!

You will need to plan stops so you can dump tanks & get fresh water & the dreaded laundry stops. You will also need grocery & supply stops and for us that's usually at a Walmart since most have ample parking for RVs. Sometimes, one just needs a break so we try to plan a 2 night stay somewhere every 3rd night or plan a shortened day of driving.

Traveling through the west can mean fighting crosswinds and that can make for tired drivers. Mountains tend to slow RVs down too. Road construction is guaranteed to make for longer days. Rain & storms don't help either.

Traveling in an RV is a blast though! There's nothing like having your stuff with you and sleeping in your bed.
traveling in a 2011 Ventana 3433!
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 01:41 AM   #13

In about 2000 National Geographic published 7 booklets that provide lots of information about cities and roads across the USA. We have all 7 and have used them extensively ... they are available through Amazon

Travel books

The URL points to the Pacific Northwest book ... if you scroll down you will see the remaining 6.

This is a really good resource.

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 12:00 PM   #14

Tim, you state in your original post that you have 4 weeks of vacation a year. I would suggest that for your big trips out west to take 3 of those weeks. It will be much more pleasant for you as you won't be rushing as much. Also, don't try to do all that the west has to offer in one trip - even if you seem to be close by. Save some for another trip. You'll feel more rested after a vacation if you're not filling every second and driving long days.

Folks out there will say it can't be done in a short period of time. I disagree, if that's all the time you have, it can be done. Keep in mind you don't have to see everything at one time. All of us started out with minimal vacation time and we seemed to do just fine. We lived in the Midwest and took many 2-week trips out west. The kids still remember them plainly as we concentrated on one small area.

As for driving hours - getting across the Plains is a long haul and that's where you'll make better time. However, don't try for 75mph and 8-10 hour days with an RV. Realistically, you should try to aim for 60-65mph and 6-8 hour days. It's easier to get a camp site in the afternoon rather than nighttime and also, you won't need reservations to do so as you travel those interstates. There are plenty of spots for one night. Also, by stopping earlier, you'll have a chance to unwind, perhaps take a swim or just sit with a cold one and plan out your next day. (As retired full-timers, we have driven as little as 50 miles from spot to spot but no more than 300 mi/day.) Your time will come.

Once you hit the Colorado area and the states up and down, that's when your real slowdown will occur as you'll be getting off the interstates for more pleasant, scenic driving.

Enjoy!

twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel planning, travel