Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-12-2018, 04:52 PM   #1

Travel through Atlanta

We will be going from Clearwater to Nashville with a 45' Class A with a SUV in tow. We have avoided Atlanta to date.

What is it like to drive through Atlanta? Looks like 75 is the main route. Also any good places to spend a night or two that us an hour south or north of the loop in Atlanta?

I use to travel there often but had a rental and that was 7 plus years ago. I don't mind some traffic it's stop and go and chaos that I avoid. Like 95 from DC north.

Thank you for any help.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2018, 04:57 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Atlanta traffic generally sucks. Only go through using rt 285 around the city and avoid rush hours at all cost. When I do it, I try and get around the city before 5am
Samuise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 05:02 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
I always stayed on I75 thru Atlanta towing a 5th wheel and avoided the bypass. Heavy traffic but most of big trucks take bypass. We usually stay at Twin Oaks in Elko, Ga (just south of Perry) It's a nice overnight stop and both it and Fair Harbor in Perry are Passport America. Eat at the Swanson House in downtown Perry.
bobbidonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 05:03 PM   #4

I75 directly thru Atlanta, using the HOV lane, between the hours of 10-2 during the weekday is your easiest bet... Saturdays and Sundays are good at various times.

There are many parks on either 'end', whether N or S of town, outside of the I285 perimeter.... just do some 'google maps' with the search term 'rv park' while you have the area on screen. For example, KOAs right off I75 in Cartersville and Forsyth, both.

We do this route all the time, no worries - don't buy into the absurdity that somehow Atlanta is any different than any other 'town'.... just more cars, but also more lanes.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 05:06 PM   #5

I travel from Clearwater to Atlanta in a 35 ft class A with a tow all the time. If you leave before 8am and take I285 West to get back on 75 you'll miss rush hour.
jjcrawfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 05:08 PM   #6

We travelled south on I-75 in January (8th time).
This year I considered taking the bypass and posed the question on this forum.
I was told the bypass was no better, use the HOV Lanes, and also, consider going through Atlanta between 10:00 am and 2:00 pm.
I definitely do not want to use HOV as you are expected to drive faster and we are in a Class A and in no rush.
We did take I-75, but missed the 2:00 pm time and actually drove through about 2:30.
It was our best ever time to go through.
Traffic, yes, but not rush hour and it actually went quite smooth.
We will be heading north in March and will once again shot for the mid day time frame and will be in the slow lane..
Jim.B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 05:36 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Stay at Fair Harbor RV Park at 75 exit 135 at Perry. Leave Fair Harbor at 8 AM and you will hit Atlanta around 10AM, stay on 75 straight through town. I second eating at The Swanson while in Perry.
paddler1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 05:43 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
Misery.. Sheer Misery. No good time I live here.
Old 02-12-2018, 05:58 PM   #9

South of Atlanta on I-75 at exit 198 is Highfalls State Park. This is 40 miles short of I-285. Nice park with campsites. Coming from the south (headed north) off the exit ramp turn right (east) and go a mile and a half and you are there. Office and ranger station is on the left before the bridge, campgrounds are split with some on the right before the bridge, and some on the left across the bridge.

DO NOT turn left to the office and ranger station. With a rig of that size, there is no place to turn it around up there. Either pull off at the Petro Market on the right directly across from the drive up to the office, or pull off to the right like you are going to the Dollar General and go past it and pull off to the left in a large parking lot, and walk the few hundred feet up to the office. This last choice will have you headed to the riverside campground, if you pull off in the Petro you will be past that but could make the campground across the bridge. Its a tight area, but worth the visit.

There is a private High Falls RV Park off to the left before the State Park, but I think it is mostly long term campers.

Look at the web site, this is a nice State Park, very scenic area.

High Falls State Park | State Parks & Historic Sites

The lanes are narrow on the I-75/85 downtown connector, but doable.
Downtown connector warning, stay about two lanes away from the right. The right lane is always ending in an exit, and you will have to constantly be moving to the left to stay away from the exits.

Charles
Old 02-12-2018, 06:01 PM   #10

Been around Atlanta a few times. Treat it like any major city. Avoid rush hours. Midday is OK. If there is a bypass highway around it, use it. Stay out of the right hand lane. Leave it for the locals to zip on & off. Stay out of the NASCAR lane on the left hand side. Make use of whatever is left & try not to find yourself in a double exit lane when you don't want to exit.

Atlanta is no fun but it is a village compared to places like NY. Go way out of your way to avoid that one.
Triangle Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 10:07 PM   #11

I’ve driven the coach through Atlanta on I-75 several times, including twice at rush hour. I didn’t think it was a big deal.

It’s just traffic...
A Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 04:19 AM   #12

Harvest Moon RV Park in Adairsville Ga. is a good place north of Atlanta.
Shell925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 06:02 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
We try to avoid it if we can and I must say last time we drove through staying on 75 it was not that bad.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 06:33 AM   #14

We came through January 13th, Saturday morning around 9:30. Sailed right through on I-75 , 60-65 MPH. Semis must take bypass, can't travel through downtown according to the signs I saw.

We stayed north of Atlanta, Cartersville, GA. Cartersville/Cassville-White KOA.

Tags
travel