Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-31-2013, 01:38 PM   #1

Travel to and on the Oregon coast

I've only been RVing once to Oregon and want to return this year. We were thinking of heading up the 5 to Grants Pass and then to the coast. I was wondering if any of you seasoned travelers could advise me on the best roads to head east and west. I have a 34' rig and tow a small SUV. I've heard that some of the east/west roads were a hazard due to low hanging or close to the road trees.
Any information would be welcome. Thanks!!!!

PS, any recommendations to RV parks would be great too.
smartguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2013, 01:45 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Oregon has some of the most beautifully maintained highways in the U.S.A., and I can't think of any east-west route from the I-5 corridor to the coast that matches your description.

Well, not a paved such route, anyway!

The State Parks liberally scattered all up and down the coast are beautiful, too, and VERY busy in the summer season. Reservations recommended if traveling at that time.
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:53 PM   #3

We are traveling to Gold Beach, OR via Las Vegas, NV during June 2013. Our route takes us up I5 from Sacramento to Grants Pass then on to 199 which connects to 197 which connects to the 101. We are staying at Gold Beach for a week to explore the Southern Coast then onwards to Coos Bay- Roseburg- Diamond Lake...home. 18 days total...perhaps more...being retired has its benefits.
Oscar Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:54 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hwy 126 between Eugene and Florence is an easy drive.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartguy View Post
PS, any recommendations to RV parks would be great too.
We're staying at the Four Seasons RV Park in Gold Beach, OR. Check out the Good Sam travel directory, there are quite a few options. We'd like to stay at one of the State Campgrounds, (Oregon's are great), but most are first-come-first-serve. So we opted for commercial RV park along the Rogue River to stay for the week so we could guarantee reservations. If we knew more about the area we might take a chance on a first-come-first-serve CG.

Since this is our first time to the coast of Oregon, we'll know more when we return next year. We plan to move to Oregon in the coming years. We own a place in Roseburg, OR that we rent out for now. It is beautiful country.
Oscar Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:26 PM   #6

Cut over to 101 on CA20. About your best choice
Old 01-31-2013, 04:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
Cut over to 101 on CA20. About your best choice
X2
if you have not traveled 101 up northern cal coast thru the redwoods
to oregon this is the way to go
all the state highways in oregon from I-5 to 101 are in good shape except a short span on 20 near eddyville where its crooked and has construction but not enough to prevent me from using
beaverfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:56 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Winchester Bay RV Resort at Salmon Harbor Marina in Winchester Bay, Oregon is our favorite RV park on the Oregon Coast.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:43 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
And if you do not mind dry camping there is a rather large port camping
between this park and town in fact this park looks right at it as that is
where a lot of the boats are and it is much cheaper.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:13 PM   #10

My .02 worth, I think I might take 299 out of Reading over to 101 and go north on 101 thru Crescent City instead of going up to Grants Pass and back down to Crescent City. That puts you thru the redwoods also. Hopefully We Will be moving back to Ore one of these days. and DW wants to live on the coast this time.
Salad Bowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:02 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have traveled the Oregon coast a few times from Brookings to Astoria and will be back this year. We like it so much that we own a lot @ Pacific Shores Resort in Newport.
The State Parks are all great but I think they are first come first serve. I agree that the roads are very well maintained but be sure to observe the speed limit, you can't drive in Oregon like you do in Cali.
Enjoy.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:55 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Francesca:

we've spent lots of time in oregon and that wonderful coast. as noted, paved roads are good. remember, there are lots of trucks out here (forestry is big business in oregon) and there are lots of rvers (tourist is also big business)
as for places to stay - we have many favs. btw, some of the state parks do take reservations. suggest you check out the state park website at: Oregon State Parks and Recreation: Visiting State Parks - Find A Park
(their website is one of the best)

we love the coast and sure you'll love it too
enjoy the visit!
pdq
Old 02-02-2013, 10:28 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
X2. We love Winchester Bay RV Resort!
Lloydu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:28 PM   #14

We stayed at the Bandon/Port Orford KOA (about half way between the two towns) on 101 last summer and loved it! It is reasonable for a KOA and very well maintained. The draw for us is Bandon, one of the nicest towns on the coast. Lots to do and see. I enjoyed the crabbing from the Bandon Crabbing Dock.
DaveAK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel