Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2012, 07:16 AM   #1

Travel to Williamsburg

I'll be traveling from Upstate NY to the Colonial Williamsburg area in late April, staying at American Heritage RV. Anyone have any thoughts on the route we should take, other that when we picked up our unit in Minnesota this will be our first real trip. I assume that we should avoid going through the major cities, just wondering and since it is -10 here there isn't much more for me to to right now!!
HWH Active Air Suspension 2014 Wrangler
DRL1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2012, 08:41 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My first suggestion would be to avoid Baltimore and Washington unless you are planning a visit to DC. Best way is to cross the Delaware Memorial Bridge and then follow route down the Delmarva Peninsula, across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge and then on to Williamsburg. That is my personal opinion, others may disagree.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:20 AM   #3

DRL
Have traveled in both directions, DC, Del. timing is key. No DC Baltimore at rush hr. Del trip is shorter but lots, lots, lots of stop and go. Traffic cops at every 45 mph sign. We overnighted in Dover and did not arrive in Virginia Beach until late afternoon. Tunnel is 13' 6" and my radio antenna ball is now flat on the front. The tunnel is two lane and very narrow. Beautiful drive if you are not in a hurry. Have fun.....
CHCam42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 10:52 AM   #4

Simply use the Balitmore truck by pass route. About 20 miles longer but easy even in heavy traffic. Do not go thru Balitmore or the tunnels there. heavy fine if caught with propane tanks for using tunnel. DC now has new interstate built around the south side and tho heavy traffic is easy to navigate. Biggest problem is I95 south from Fairfax to Fredricksburg in heavy traffic and frequent stoppages. Flyin J at the 104 MM north of Richmond for overnighting/fuel/propane. Use bypass I295 around Richmond to I64 south to wiiliamsburg. Enjoy your stay in the area and take in the Historic Triangle. You will not be disappointed.
RVhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 12:19 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Have to agree with both of the above on some points. We like the Delmarva route because it is prettier, though somewhat slower. It all depends on what traffic you hit on the other routes - it might be faster. As far as the CBBT, just have some respect for big rigs and other RVs and you will be fine - not much worse than travelling through a construction zone with Jersey barriers. Have fun, enjoy Williamsburg and a +1 for the historic triangle.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:49 PM   #6

Thanks for all of the suggestions, we are really looking forward to it. I can't wait to make use of all of the great info I have gotten from this site.
HWH Active Air Suspension 2014 Wrangler
DRL1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 07:12 PM   #7

I don't know where upstate you are starting from, but if access to I81 is good, take that (or US15) to US17 and then I95.

It will save huge $$ in tolls and be stress free...
N3YMY is offline   Reply With Quote