Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2013, 06:40 AM   #29

We were hoping to travel Rt 80 from S.F. To Reno ,then down to Lake Tahoe , from there south on Rt 395 thru death Vally on Rt 190 to Las Vegas . Are these roads open in lake March.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2013, 12:09 AM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barhymus View Post
We were hoping to travel Rt 80 from S.F. To Reno ,then down to Lake Tahoe , from there south on Rt 395 thru death Vally on Rt 190 to Las Vegas . Are these roads open in lake March.
Rt 80 has been discussed above...correction Reno is east and down from Tahoe.
Reno to Vegas - should NOT be a problem - did this many different times in winter (395 near Mammoth only spot you may have to wait for road plows). The desert flowers come out in March in Death Valley I believe.

Old 01-07-2013, 11:07 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSkinner View Post
So it s completely weather dependent and if I want to go to South Lake Tahoe the open route is via 80 and then down the east side of the lake on 295 I think it was??
There is a low tunnel on the southbound lanes of that road down the east side of the lake as you get close to South Lake Tahoe just north of Zephyr Cove. 11'2" if I remember correctly.
ChileRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:06 AM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
We are planing our next trip heading west from Dallas. South Rim, San Diego, LA, coastal to San Francisco, Napa Valley, Yosemite, Salt Lake, Rocky Mt NP, home to Dallas - 8 weeks and back to Australia
I had planned South Tahoe but having read here about 120 that's out
how about say 3 days at or close to the West Entrance like Groveland.
We can drive into the park. this will be mid April.
then hwy 50 or 80 all the way to Salt Lake
is this a plan or am I going to come unstuck.
We have a Monaco Signature towing a Subaru
A new even more cunning plan:
I have just discovered Mammoth Mountain. What?? You may ask
The new plan is to break the only promise ( well one of them) regarding motorhome ownership
"we will never ski out of the motorhome"
So given that our previous stop will have been Napa Valley, how best to get to Mammoth (With skis boots and poles in the wardrobe)
Next, having read all the really crappy reviews of Mammoth Mountain RV Resort where else can one stay in a 45 ft motorhome.
I'm pretty tolerant anyway so if it's just the staff that are "unprofessional" I can live with that as long as the park is nice.
I can drive to Yosemite on a day off the slopes.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:31 AM   #33

Quote:

A new even more cunning plan:
I have just discovered Mammoth Mountain. What?? You may ask
The new plan is to break the only promise ( well one of them) regarding motorhome ownership
"we will never ski out of the motorhome"
So given that our previous stop will have been Napa Valley, how best to get to Mammoth (With skis boots and poles in the wardrobe)
Next, having read all the really crappy reviews of Mammoth Mountain RV Resort where else can one stay in a 45 ft motorhome.
I'm pretty tolerant anyway so if it's just the staff that are "unprofessional" I can live with that as long as the park is nice.
I can drive to Yosemite on a day off the slopes.
Actuallyp you probably will not be able to drive to Yosemite, at least not the short way. Tioga pass is closed during the winter.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:36 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post

Actuallyp you probably will not be able to drive to Yosemite, at least not the short way. Tioga pass is closed during the winter.
The park is not great, but it's ok and is convenient to town. You will not make it to Yosemite unless you plan to drive a very long way.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:07 PM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by VestaDave View Post

The park is not great, but it's ok and is convenient to town. You will not make it to Yosemite unless you plan to drive a very long way.
Thanks
I've made a booking for 22nd April 7 nights and intend using 80 and 395 to get there.
They only have 30 amp available in the winter and cable.
Had a chat to a very amiable chap called Mike who answered all my questions - so first impressions are good
I guess the place will be covered in snow so maintaining such a winter park doesn't give you many clear months to fix the things that need fixing.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:43 AM   #36

Mammoth is beautiful. Enjoy.
ChileRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:58 AM   #37

Make sure you have chains for the m/h. You will have to chain up in CA if the signs are open. You'll also have to chain up one axle on anything you're towing, including a car.

Snow tires don't count on anything with a GVWR more than 6,500 pounds. Snow tire laws apply only to passenger cars and smaller pickups/vans.

From about Lake Topaz south to just north of Bishop gets tremendous amounts of snow. It's the reason Mammoth Ski Area is there and the Marine Corps winter survival school is at Pickle Meadows.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:04 AM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
My cunning plan is to carry chains for the coach but won't travel when they are required to be attached
I didn't know about the toad.
Are you suggesting I need to carry chains for the Subaru as well??

Tags
travel