Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2018, 06:48 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Travel Tracking

Not sure if that's what you would call it, but is there an app or program that others can track your travels while you are on the road?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2018, 06:53 PM   #2

Facebook.....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 07:20 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Facebook? I don't do Facebook.
Old 04-07-2018, 07:23 PM   #4

If you’re both iPhone users, you can share your location via the ‘Find My Friends’ app that’s pre-installed.
Mlr0023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 07:34 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlr0023 View Post
If you’re both iPhone users, you can share your location via the ‘Find My Friends’ app that’s pre-installed.

Yes we have iPhones. I'll look at that, thanks.
Old 04-07-2018, 10:15 PM   #6

Here are some ways:

https://wheelingit.us/2015/01/18/map...eelingit-maps/

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/make-int...ack-your-trip/
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 11:49 PM   #7

Application called Life360 will track your whereabouts.
CampFire Junkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 05:58 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Looks like I have some reading to do. Thanks to all I hope to find one of these easy to use.
Old 04-08-2018, 06:39 AM   #9

Focus on the two links "twogypsies" posted. I've tried them all and have settled on the UMap (which DOES have a large learning curve). I like "TrackMyTour" too which is also a mostly manual application, but I'll tell what is the very simplest: Google Maps.

Enable your phone to track it's location (settings) and each day you travel, it automatically records your route and your stops. If you use their free "Google Photos" app, any pictures you take will be included. This works on iphones and Android.

Then you simply choose the "Your Timeline" and your route & photos are all there with the time you spent in each move. It's really great. From time to time it will ask you to confirm the location you stopped at and you may have to do some minor editing to get it right.

The only downside is you cannot get a view of more than one day at a time, so if you want to see your entire trip, you would have to use one of the other solutions in those two links "twogypsies" posted.

Here's a link to the instructions
McGarrett50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 09:31 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks Mcgarrett50 for now I want something easy to test it out and then move into something else if I want more. It’s nice knowing what it can and cannot do ahead of time as you stated.
Old 04-08-2018, 10:39 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Thanks you guys I’m looking at these options too. Want something easy, not FT mostly vacations trip tracking for family.
Old 04-08-2018, 01:04 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Last summer I experimented with a website called https://spotwalla.com/ that did a pretty decent job of tracking our travels.You can view the results of the experiment at this link: https://spotwalla.com/publicTrips.php?un=Alan_Hepburn

just click on the "Summer trip" link and a map should appear with a bunch of waypoints - click on any waypoint and you'll se a bunch of data for that spot. The app uses GPS data from your cell phone, and displays the information on Google Maps on the spotwall website, and it's free, other than whatever data costs you have on your phone to send the GPS data at your chosen intervals.
Old 04-08-2018, 01:41 PM   #13

Real Time GPS Tracker v2 is free... Installs on your phone and updates their website with your location.
I've been using it the last year and put its link on my blog for folks to check out where i am. As Im at home currently in my "private area" it shows I am somewhere off the African coast in the water. Kind of Odd, but it works.

http://www.greenalp.com/RealtimeTrac...user=connellrv

-Bill
2006 Allegro Bus 40 QDP IFS, 8.9L Vmspec, 1.5kw Solar + 400w Suitcase, 2@ 50amp & a 30amp Victron Smart MPPT's, 712BMV, SBS, CerboGX, 8.7kw LiFePo4, RR, MS2812, Max Transit, eero 6+ Mesh WiFi, Roof Mounted Starlink In-Motion dishy
BigBillSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 10:27 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
If you have a Garmin RV770 GPS you can use the LiveTrack feature. It's a little awkward but it will send an email to your selected viewers containing a link to your current travel route and position. (There may be other Garmin units with LiveTrack too.)
It does require a smart phone app with a Bluetooth link to the GPS.

Tags
travel