Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2010, 04:35 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Question Traveling across Missouri...advice/tips needed.

I am going to attept to take my 33 1/2 ft southwind across Misouri, going west so to speak. I am going to SE Kansas travling with a brood of children. This is my 1st trip w/o my DH and the RV's 1st trip this far. I will have a teenage son, ready and willing to help me with all of the hooking/unhooking as he has done it under the watchful eye of his father.

Never the less I am a bit nervous.

My questions are:

Which route is best, to take I-70 or 44? I need to take that way that allows me to pull over every three hours to nurse my baby and keep fuel in the tank. So I am aiming for truck stops. I will need access to electricity so the generator will be running as well, which will take a little bit more of fuel. I worry about running out of fuel or getting stuck some where I don't fit. Hopefully someone will KWIM?

Will it hurt anything to keep the fridge running off of propane while driving? I need to keep some things refridgerated for my very small children. I will be gone a week. So I also need to know if there is a time limit as to how long you can run the fridge.

I am hoping for any BTDT, tips, comments, and advice.

momoflots21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2010, 04:55 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
The route rather depends on your preference from starting point to end point ...but interstate highways are the best bet for regular rest areas and/or truck stops. No idea how much fuel your rig carries or burns, but with a 100 gallon tank and avg of 7.5 mpg we can drive much further than we would normally want to without being in danger of running out of fuel, even when running the generator fulltime for ac, etc.

We run our refrigerator off of propane quite often while driving ...but if you are running the generator you can just run it off the electric the generator is genning up. As to how long you can run the refrigerator, we've been running ours almost continually for over 5 years now...

Relax and enjoy the trip ...let your teenage son do the worrying !!
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 06:24 PM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Depending on where you will be going in Kansas you should take I 70, as
I 44 goes from Missouri to Oklahoma whereas I 70 goes into Kansas City and you can go any way you want from there. You should get a map at the truck stop or welcome center as you come into a state (usually 1st rest area )
I 70 is a straighter highway also.. lots of places to stop along the way, just be careful and aware of your surroundings at all times..
take care
Helen

"Travlin with a song and prayer"
Me n Slowpoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 05:08 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi momoflots21,
Can you provide where are you starting and what is your destination? I'm a bit confused about the OP mentioning I 70 and I 44. These roads head in different directions. If you can help with a few specifics we can help with some details. Do not worry about fuel.

thanks,
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 09:12 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
I am starting out near St. Louis and will be going to south east Kansas...

thank you all so much!!!
momoflots21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 01:10 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I now live in the St. Louis area and grew up in the Joplin area. You can take I-44 west to somewhere near Carthage - depending on where you are headed in Kansas. You will have to use state roads to get to your destination in Kansas, there are no interstates. US 71 runs along the western Missouri state line and highway 69 run just inside the Kansas side. Both are good, 4 lane roads.
Old 09-01-2010, 02:28 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Hi momoflots21,
SRL-R36 provided good route advice. On I 44, there are Flying Js at:
Sullivan, exit 226, 573-860-8880
Joplin, exit 11A, 417-626-7600
Fuel should be no problem.

I run my refrigerator on propane when traveling. I've been doing it for 32 years.

If you do not have an emergency road service company for a motor coach, consider contacting:
Coach Net 800-759-6999
Good Sam 800-947-0770

When you stop for lunch, consider calling ahead to the CG of your choice for reservations. Ask for a pull through site. Also ask where you can get fuel. This will give you another fuel option.

As best I can tell, the I 44 rest areas are at:
mile marker (mm) 235
mm 178
mm 111
mm 52.5
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 04:49 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It has been a couple of months since I was down that way, but last time I drove it the rest area at mm 111 was closed and the one at mm 178 was parking only