Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2012, 07:26 PM   #15

Nor'easters Club
And I know from experience that BOSTONS do not like that long of a day on the road! Interferes with their nap time!

ditto is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2012, 07:36 PM   #16

Wow, and here I am wondering if 6 WEEKS is enough time for me to get from Florida to Arizona.

Old 11-10-2012, 07:59 PM   #17

During the day I can average about 40 MPH for 5 hours. I quit during rush hours near cities. Too many cars, too many quick decisions to make in big cities,

At night I can average 50, easily. I get behind a (slower) truck and just stay there. No traffic, no stress, just listen to a book or the radio and sit there. Have light yellow sun glasses for glare.

I refuse to drive in rush hour traffic. I pull into a parking lot, take a nap, read a book, go for a walk, all of those.

By the way, you'll go a lot farther if she drives some of the way.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:12 PM   #18

if you're really pressed for time and don't care about seeing the country. find a driver to drive at night. i'm retired and not in a hurry so i drive until is see something i want to see or it's diner time. my moto is slow down and enjoy. that's how i plan a trip, not the fastest way, but the most enjoyable way. imho
Old 11-11-2012, 01:42 PM   #19

We have traveled over 100k miles in the last 10+ years and have a NOT budgeted daily mileage, (or followed a time schedule), more than 6-7 times.
We start each day when we feel like starting, stop when we want to, drive as fast as we want to' over night where and when we want to.
We have made advanced camping reservations only 12 times in all those years.
If you have to plan every stop and drive on a schedule you certainly can not enjoy the trip, (or smell the roses)!
You might as well just stay home and go to work everyday, (IMO that is easier).
Mel
Old 11-11-2012, 02:07 PM   #20

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by saw4980 View Post
ok, I am looking for some info on traveling across the US up into Canada/Alaska.

I am trying to figure out the best daily mileage to commit to for a daily drive from Georgia to Fairbanks, Alaska.

I would like to average 400 miles a day, but the DW says that would be like 10 hours of driving a day. She is programming an average of 270 a day.

Experienced RVers go...
You can do it but you won't enjoy it. In addition, you will do great damage to your RV. We drove to Alaska in 07 and enjoyed it immensely. But take it slow to enjoy!

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:40 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Have done the xcountry twice now with the Bounder, Like the less than 400 mpd way! Enjoyed it emensly this past summer, lots of stops, in by night fall in the campground, time for making dinner and clean up and no hassels! Can't wait to retire in 5yrs 7 months! Bounder will be paid for then no reason to push it! First trip was to move oldest to LA, trailer with his car on it, drove 500+ per day and was exhausted each day! Drove back much slower! 6-7 days back to Central NY! Past summer, 7 days out, 7 days back, 10 days out there to enjoy the area.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:24 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamguy View Post
You can do it but you won't enjoy it. In addition, you will do great damage to your RV. We drove to Alaska in 07 and enjoyed it immensely. But take it slow to enjoy!

What sort of damage might you be referring to?

2000 Newmar Kountry Star, 30 foot, V-10 | 2012 Soul
saw4980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:37 AM   #23

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by saw4980 View Post
What sort of damage might you be referring to?
Many of the roads you will drive on in Canada/Alaska are not suited to 40 MPH travel. You will find damaged tires, broken glass, cabinets shaken apart, etc. There are no freeways in the north-lands . Winter weather brings "frost heaves". The authorities begin repairs ASAP in the spring and continue until most are fixed. They place red flags on the sides of the road to indicate these sites. When we went up there in 2007 we camped one afternoon and parked next to a couple who had taken their 5er to a repair shop. They blamed the road for the estimated thousands of $ damages incurred when the 5er came off the hitch. You should have heard him bi*ching. I told me he was not going MUCH over the speed limit. He said he was doing < 70 when it broke loose! The limit was 30.

30MPH is a good speed to allow for the phenomenal views presented in the north.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:26 PM   #24

We did this trip a few years ago, starting in Florida. Some days we could do 400 miles, depending on the road, traffic etc. But once you get to Canada, there is too much to see and do to rush through it. Also, as stated before, you can't speed on the Alcan. You will mess up your rig. Take it easy and enjoy the ride. Some days, up in Alaska, a 150 mile day is a long day. This is a once in a life time trip, enjoy it.
jollyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:41 PM   #25

Mid Atlantic Campers
We drove in September 2012 from Chilliwack, BC to Fairbanks, AK and needed 7 days for that trip including a 2-day-stop in Haines Junction. Before starting we were scared about those stories of broken axles and others. We found an Alaskan Highway in a really good shape and easy to drive. Reason for this hurry was to arrive in Denali National Park before the park closed.
Now we are staying in Anchorage and look forward to the upcoming winter season.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:46 PM   #26

Since retiring, we wonder where we will not hurry to next. 300 a day avg for us. Time to fill the fuel, visit the finest grocery in town and go "what do we crave tonight", to the CG to cook a gormet dinner (usually on the Weber Q) while watching the flames of the campfire.

Time is precious. Why burn it on the road?

Great days are not tracked by distance, but smiles.

Have fun now. You'll be dead a long time.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:00 PM   #27

We did 500 miles last week in one day, and it was simply exhausting! And i was not even the one driving. It was all fun and games the first 5 hours, but it grows old and tiring fast. I would say take your time if you are in no hurry
Old 11-12-2012, 09:19 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
You can drive 300 mi a day while in the US, and drive 484 I'm a day in Canada. Everyone will be happy

Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote