Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2012, 09:24 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorLynn View Post
We did 500 miles last week in one day, and it was simply exhausting! And i was not even the one driving. It was all fun and games the first 5 hours, but it grows old and tiring fast.
We usually keep the MPD fairly low. Last month we got back from a three month, 8200 mile trip which took in New England fall colors and Niagara Falls. By the time we hit Niagara, we were freezing and longing to get back to Arizona so we decided to stretch it to >350 MPD. We were like a couple of stable horses headed back to the barn.

We found that using audio books really helped make the time go by much more quickly. Cracker Barrel has a pretty convenient rental program where you can pick them up and drop them off at any of their restaurants for $3.99/week.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2013, 11:27 AM   #30

Thank you for this reply, exactly what I was looking for. We are going to take it real easy, at least until we know how worn out we are, short distances per day this coming Summer. And, we have one furry kid, LOL I am betting us humanoids will need to stop more then the pup denise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red James View Post
Even though we drive 60 - 65 mph our AVERAGE speed is about 40. This is due to potty breaks for our furry kids or just needing to move around a little. 250 - 300 is a good average days travel.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:52 AM   #31

Send a message via Skype™ to vermilye
I've taken many (10 as of last count) cross country trips, the last two pulling a trailer. My miles per day are generally not on interstates (I prefer the "Red Roads") and I like to stop for the day early to mid afternoon so I'm probably well under what most people drive. Being retired, I have as much time to travel as I want.

That said, I averaged 169 miles per day on a 111 day trip & 118 miles per day on a 138 day trip. Actual driving mileage was higher since I stayed at some campgrounds for more than one day. I did figure it for the second trip - Actual driving was 163 miles per day.

While I had a couple of 400+ miles per day drives on both trips, they were only on interstates or 4 lane interstate like roads, and I far preferred shorter driving days. Again, if you have to get somewhere to start your vacation and have limited time, you might have a very different view...
vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:10 PM   #32

Wow, I guess I should feel like a madman! We have driven over 1000 miles in one day several different times. Two years ago we drove non-stop from Moncton, NB back to Buffalo. Driving is something I enjoy. If I didn't I sure as heck wouldn't have purchased an RV.

Driving from Georgia to Fairbanks is a trip that can be done in a couple of weeks if you so desire. Once you leave the mountains of Tennessee there really isn't much to see until you hit the Badlands or Colorado, if you are cutting up that way. Making good time across the Plains is fairly easy. We joke about it that once you pass Cleveland on I-90 all you see all the way out to South Dakota is just corn, more corn and then more corn.

We went to Alaska this summer by flying into Anchorage and then renting an RV in Anchorage and driving all over the state. We had a great time and the roads in Alaska last summer were not much worse than I have seen in many of the Lower 48. There are interstate quality roads heading from Anchorage out toward Glenallen and some coming into Fairbanks. We were surprised how good the roads were in Alaska. You had to watch for the frost heaves, but the trip around the state was not that bad. We talked to many who had driven the AlCan and their comments ranged from "not bad" to "Oh My God" so it just depends on your perspective.

Enjoy the drive. If you are active duty military and headed up to either Wainwright or Eielson, enjoy the trip and your time in AK. It is a gorgeous place and sure changed a lot since I was stationed at Eielson in the early 70's.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:40 PM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
400 miles per day is certainly do-able while you're in the U.S. traveling on Interstate highways (although, it's about double what *we'd* want to drive in an day). However, once you get into Canada, and particularly once you're on the Alaska Highway, doing 400 miles per day would probably be something like 12 hours per day, if not more. There are frost heaves and construction areas where you'll have to go slow...that's most likely will put your AVERAGE speed at something less than 40 MPH (and the speed limit on the Alaska Highway is not 75 MPH like it is on most Interstates...as I recall, the fasted speed limit is 60 MPH).
Old 01-03-2013, 01:51 PM   #34

We've found we average about 50 mph, no matter how fast we try to drive.
On a long trip we'll do some 400 mi days, most are a little less. It works for us to drive two or three days then spend an extra night in one spot to relax a bit. as you planning the trip look for point of interes for you and make those the longer stops.
Try to take your time and enjoy your trip.
Milt
Old 01-03-2013, 01:54 PM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
For Sandee and I we are starting to plan the day we are FT. I suppose the biggest issue we have is learning how to find good camping "on the fly". Right now we plan at least a couple weeks in advance and maybe more on certain events. Finding the resources to make this happen is something we hope to do this summer.

I think once we get that figured out, we might be more inclined to do some daily traveling instead of 1 or 2 big days then a week or 2 staying in a spot. We want to find that balance between "vacation mode" and finding a place to relax for a spell.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:43 PM   #36
NRR

Solo Rvers Club
I do hope you are starting this trip in May or June. I90 and then I15 to Great Falls, MT will be the fast part of your trip and the cheapest fuel wise. Canada costs more for fuel.

Buy the “The Mile Post” for getting to Alaska. It may not be 100% accurate for fuel stops, but it helps on the Alcan. It also tells you about what to see on the way up.

I figure you will be on I65 going towards Chicago at some point. Pick up I80/ I94 and follow it too I294 to bypass Chicago. Then pick up I90 again north west of Chicago. I90 goes into Chicago and is hell at any time of the day.

After all of the flat lands between Wisconsin and Georgia. You will have a reprieve, scenery wise, going through Wisconsin before you head west on I90. Western S.D. and beyond is wonderful.

Three hundred miles a day is a good average. Start at nine and end at three. Call the next camping place around eleven and get a spot. Then set up for the night on arrival. When pushing it, 450 a day is good for a day or two. With your rig and young I could see 400 plus a day state side.

When in Yukon Territory expect the miles per day to go way, way down. I remember getting up to 40mph and slowing down, real quick, to 10mph over and over again, mostly past Destruction Bay, going towards Tok. I never broke anything on my rig.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:54 PM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRR View Post
I do hope you are starting this trip in May or June. I90 and then I15 to Great Falls, MT will be the fast part of your trip and the cheapest fuel wise. Canada costs more for fuel.

Buy the “The Mile Post” for getting to Alaska. It may not be 100% accurate for fuel stops, but it helps on the Alcan. It also tells you about what to see on the way up.

I figure you will be on I65 going towards Chicago at some point. Pick up I80/ I94 and follow it too I294 to bypass Chicago. Then pick up I90 again north west of Chicago. I90 goes into Chicago and is hell at any time of the day.

After all of the flat lands between Wisconsin and Georgia. You will have a reprieve, scenery wise, going through Wisconsin before you head west on I90. Western S.D. and beyond is wonderful.

Three hundred miles a day is a good average. Start at nine and end at three. Call the next camping place around eleven and get a spot. Then set up for the night on arrival. When pushing it, 450 a day is good for a day or two. With your rig and young I could see 400 plus a day state side.

When in Yukon Territory expect the miles per day to go way, way down. I remember getting up to 40mph and slowing down, real quick, to 10mph over and over again, mostly past Destruction Bay, going towards Tok. I never broke anything on my rig.
Forget I-294, it's a nightmare too. Take I-80/94 (from I-65) to I-39 and then take that north to I-90. You bypass almost all of Chicagoland and the additional mileage is well worth it if you can bypass the Chicago-Milwaukee nightmare. It will save you time and aggravation in the long run.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:27 PM   #38

Hi,

brand new to the forum but not to RVing. All my RVing has been within Canada, to date, and I have been up along the AlCan in 2010 but ran out of time to go all the way into Alaska.

One thing I'd like to mention is that in my travel from Toronto across to British Columbia, the further north I went, the longer the days were. I took advantage of that and extended driving times up to 14 hours per day (across the Prairies) but always did the speed limits.

Once I was on the AlCan, I continued driving at the speed limits until I reached the truly scenic areas - that's when I slowed down significantly and made multiple stops for photo/video opportunities. You'll find my Youtube page here with both parts of a video mainly along the AlCan:

Nature - 80 Miles From-1.wmv - YouTube

When I would get tired, I would just take a break. Also want to point out that my destination was Haines Junction and stayed there for about a week before driving back to Toronto. It may seem like I zoomed across the country and missed a lot but I have actually done multiple trips out west but this was the first opportunity to get onto the Alcan. This year may allow enough time to get into Alaska.

Also, want to mention, I was pulling a small trailer and travelling solo - no issues whatsoever were encountered on this trip or any of my other ones. i.e. no safety concerns either from the wildlife or criminal activity.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:30 PM   #39

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubastevee View Post
Absolutely GREAT stuff. You have quite a collection of awesome videos!
Old 01-09-2013, 04:47 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by milt View Post
We've found we average about 50 mph, no matter how fast we try to drive.
On a long trip we'll do some 400 mi days, most are a little less. It works for us to drive two or three days then spend an extra night in one spot to relax a bit. as you planning the trip look for point of interes for you and make those the longer stops.
Try to take your time and enjoy your trip.
Milt
I could not have said it better myself!

Tenth winter on the road, (sometimes as little as 50 miles of driving between over night stops).
The only 8-10 hour days have been the Dec days from WI to somewhere/anywhere below the "frost line"!
Mel
'96 Safari, over 100k miles in 10 years
Old 01-09-2013, 06:09 PM   #41

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
I've travelled from New hampshire to arizona three years in a row . I drive alone so there is no one to share the driving. I find 300-330 miles away is all I can do without being over tired. When I'm overtired it is easy to get stressed out trying to park and thats when mistakes get made. Even at that it takes about 10 days and driving every day that long is no fun for me or the pups. I like to take a two day break every three or four days.
Linda
tamaridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:18 PM   #42

I find that, for me, the most relaxing way to travel is in roughly 200 mile increments with stays of 3 to 5 nights in between. I use mostly RVParkReviews.com to choose my next destination and look for "tourist attractions" after I arrive. If I don't find anything I care about it's time to do laundry or shopping or cleaning for a day and a day or 2 for taking the dogs on long, interesting (to them, anyway) walks. Driving is never a chore and I don't resent time spent driving the toad a long way to see a sight or do a thing. I came out here to see the country, so that's what I'm doing.