Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2013, 10:25 PM   #43

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
250-300 and stop every 2 days. See the sights.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2013, 12:13 PM   #44

We travel from Winnipeg MB to Myrtle Beach SC on a yearly basis. We've set our goal at 400 MPD but alot depends on heat, road conditions, and commitments (visiting friends) on the way. If you are short of time and want to make time avoid the Chicago area completely. Work your way to St. Louis, take I70 to Kansas City, then I29 North to I90 west. Not saying this is the most scenic but if you want to make time I29 is a good road to do this on (75mph most of the way). Relitively flat and straight so you can make time.

Old 02-04-2013, 05:15 PM   #45

Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to DavCor
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Birder View Post
400 miles in 10 hours happens only if you drive at 40 mph. Most of us do 60 mph or more. That would be less than 7 hours. Even so, I don't know that I would want to drive 7 hours a day for more than about 3 days in a row.

Joel
I couldn't agree more with you. We plan our days to drive no more than 350, with 300 being more than comfortable. We plan on the Alaska drive from Punta Gorda, Florida in 2014, doing the trip as described above.
On the road in a Tiffin Allegro Red 34, with Blue Ox towing system. Reve, the cat, is Second Officer, who's duties are to lay quiet and do nothing. Donna, my bride, is the First Officer and Navigator . . . Dave drives.
DavCor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:26 AM   #46

You know, few of us drive seven hours or more straight through. We stop for breaks, lunch, rest stops, and fuel stops. So if you are "on the road" for seven hours the actual driving time may only be five hours or so. Five hours of driving times 60 mph nets a 300 mile day. Now on the Alaska highway, because of frost heaves, construction and other deterrents sometimes a good day may only be 150 miles. Of course you can go faster if you want to tear up your rig.
jollyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:11 AM   #47

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
Wow, I guess I should feel like a madman! We have driven over 1000 miles in one day several different times. Two years ago we drove non-stop from Moncton, NB back to Buffalo. Driving is something I enjoy. If I didn't I sure as heck wouldn't have purchased an RV.

Driving from Georgia to Fairbanks is a trip that can be done in a couple of weeks if you so desire. Once you leave the mountains of Tennessee there really isn't much to see until you hit the Badlands or Colorado, if you are cutting up that way. Making good time across the Plains is fairly easy. We joke about it that once you pass Cleveland on I-90 all you see all the way out to South Dakota is just corn, more corn and then more corn.
I've seen more than one of these that refered to the plains as a bit boring so I thought I would respond! If you would slow down a bit you would have noticed a few fields of beans , or maybe even an alfafa field or two! Although mountains are beautiful and easy on the eys there are interesting things to see and enjoy in our nations plains. Many of them require that you actually stop and meet the folks that inhabit the area. They are much of what makes this country what it is. Stoping at the Mississippi river and watching a 1200 ft Tow as it locks thru on it's way up or down the river is a treat. Many times you can get close enough to actually talk to one of the barge hands as they lower the water. The Mississippi also is a great spot rent a boat and do a little fishing or even go thru a lock on your own! Maybe a stop on at the house on the Rocks in Wisconson or checking out the Mall of America in Minn. will be interesting. Stopping for a tour of a wind farm or a Hog raising operation in Iowa can be enlightening as well. Or maybe seeing how ethynol is refined. Maybe even taking a tour of the State capitol while in Des Moines visiting their Great State Fair in August. Or even a stop at the Grotto in Northern Iowa. I don't want to make this a travel brochure but to suggest that flying thru may be about as adventuresome as flying over!
Old 02-06-2013, 10:45 PM   #48

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavCor View Post
I couldn't agree more with you. We plan our days to drive no more than 350, with 300 being more than comfortable. We plan on the Alaska drive from Punta Gorda, Florida in 2014, doing the trip as described above.
Couldn't agree more. 300 - 350 per day is the best. And the most important thing is to enjoy the journey, not rush to get to the destination. If asked, most all of us would say that we got into this lifestyle to see and experience this beautiful country of ours. There is no place that's more true about than Alaska IMO. If you rush to get there, you defeat much of that goal.

Taking the time to truly see the country we're passing through -- experiencing all the adventure we bought these big, beautiful rigs for and got our loved ones excited about to begin with -- that's what motor homing is all about.

I say running 300 - 350 miles per day at 65 mph tops is just what the doctor ordered for having the most enjoyable time on your great adventure.

Safe travels.

Deek
FMCA #363986 / 'Living the Dream' ... What an Incredible Hoot!
2015 Newmar Dutch Star 4369 - All Electric / 2015 Grand Cherokee Summit AWD / SMI Air Force One / NHSO
Deek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:55 PM   #49

I went from Daytona Beach to Fairbanks in 2011 never driving more than 250 miles a day, pulling a 5th wheel. I never stopped just for the night, as we stayed at least 2 nights wherever we stopped. We were gone 306 days and had a GREAT Time!! We had no time schedule as you can tell. If you are traveling that far you need to see the sights and enjoy everything without being in a hurry. As the wife szs "we are great tourists" and like to see and visit places as much as we can.
Staying away from family, friends for 306 days was hard and is not for everyone. But enjoy your trip however you choose.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:41 AM   #50

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My three times driving around the country (and I do mean a round), I almost never plan on doing more then three hundred miles a day east of the Mississippi. Traffic, cities and roads pretty much make that a full day. Once I get west, especially west of Rapid City I have been known to drive some ridiculously long days. Thus, DW's nickname for me is "Devil Dog Driver from He((. Most of the time she is able to keep me under control until she says things like "drive me until it is not longer raining". Now most of the time we use the rule of two. Two hundred miles, in by two p.m., two beers before dinner and stay two nights. Works well for us.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:48 AM   #51

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
...Driving from Georgia to Fairbanks is a trip that can be done in a couple of weeks if you so desire. Once you leave the mountains of Tennessee there really isn't much to see until you hit the Badlands or Colorado, if you are cutting up that way. Making good time across the Plains is fairly easy. We joke about it that once you pass Cleveland on I-90 all you see all the way out to South Dakota is just corn, more corn and then more corn....
OBVIOUSLY you either don't understand proper crop rotation. LOL Now if you had seen bean, then corn and then more beans and corn, you would have properly caught the essence of farmland USA. I think you need to slow down just a little bit more.

All in fun!
Old 02-13-2013, 12:01 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
OBVIOUSLY you either don't understand proper crop rotation. LOL Now if you had seen bean, then corn and then more beans and corn, you would have properly caught the essence of farmland USA. I think you need to slow down just a little bit more.

All in fun!
Ahh, that's true. Here in Western NY State most farmers just raise corn and oats and the beans are from the land renters. With the advent of ethanol usage it seems like more of the West is in corn....or at least on I-80 and I-90.