Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2012, 05:12 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to stearn
Traveling Canadian Highways??

We will be crossing into Canada from Detroit to Windsor then on to the 401 heading towards Quebec City. I am wondering if taking the 407 thru Toronto would be a better way thru that city. If so how would I obtain a pass? Knowing it is a toll road, I am told there are no toll booths and one needs a pass?? Toronto and Montreal seem to be our biggest challenge traffic wise. Hoping for some direction! We have checked out the heath and RV insurance endorsements, so just getting trying to cover all bases.
We are interested to hear any advice you may have! Also are CB'S allowed? Thanks!

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2012, 06:33 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
407 is fully electronic. As a visitor you will be billed to your home address or whichever address is associated with your plates (tags). A transponder (which you rent here) will only save you a couple of bucks. Bear in mind that the 407 is, quite literally, the most expensive roadway in the World to drive on! You will be charged as a commercial vehicle; you won't believe the bill when you get it. Just stay on the 401 the whole way, warts and all. When you get into Quebec (the Province) prepare yourself for the worst roads ever. Other than that it's a great drive. We stay on the "south shore" of the St. Lawrence river as soon as we get to Montreal; roads are better and scenery is just as good. Unless you actually want to take a tour of southern Ontario and western Quebec, I'd seriously consider going the "American way", arriving in Quebec City (which is amazing) from the South via U.S. routes?
Coached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:17 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Used the 407 shortly after it opened. At that time foreign vehicles were not charged. It was a free ride.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:30 PM   #4

Nor'easters Club
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Not free anymore. I mistakenly got on the 407 last Winter. Didn't realize I was on a toll road until I went under a transponder. Thought then that maybe my NY State EZ-pass would take care of it. Not the case. Several months later I got a bill from the 407 people. Big bucks! Called and asked about getting a vehicle pass. They said I wouldn't travel enough times to warrant one. Nice! Only option was to pay the high cost or go the 401. Funny thing about the 407, was when I was on it, I kept saying to myself, "this is great, no one is on this express way, no traffic", making great time". Now I know why. I was the only one supporting the express way.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:46 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
My understanding is that the 407 is not run by the province. Ontario leased the toll rights to a Spanish company and they operate it as a for profit entity.

Also, I found what I quoted below on Wikipedia.

"Currently, only the provinces of Ontario, Quebec, and the states of Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio, New York, Maryland, Maine, Georgia, Florida, New Jersey and possibly several adjacent states and provinces provide 407 ETR access to their registry databases due to the privacy laws of these states. This has resulted in untold numbers of motorists from other jurisdictions being able to travel on 407 ETR without receiving a bill."

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 07:13 PM   #6

This is from the 407ETR Website

If you have a vehicle with a gross weight or registered gross weight of over 5,000 kilograms (five tonnes) you are required by law to have a valid heavy vehicle transponder. Examples of vehicles needing a heavy vehicle transponder are single unit trucks, tractors, buses and trucks or tractors with one or more trailers. If you choose to use 407 ETR without a transponder, you will be subject to a video toll charge plus tolls per trip. You may also be stopped by the Ontario Provincial Police and/or Ministry of Transportation Enforcement Officers and be fined.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:53 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to stearn
Thanks for all your help! I called 407 to see what the cost is and that was enough. Without a transponder I would be charged $95.00 and with $45.00.That's traveling without a toad (traveling with a friend towing a trailer.) We are not sure if we will take the 401 and try to time going thru 1:30pm to 3pm or enter thru Kingston from the state side. That 95$ equates to something around 25 gallons of fuel, that is around 175 miles. Still interested to hear about poi's around Quebec New Brunswick, and Nova Scotia.

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:12 PM   #8

I have driven it a number of times both ways. I usually arrive at either end around 9:30 am. It takes about an hour to clear the major congestion. I just take my time and watch to see that I am in the right lanes. I usually take the Express Lanes. The major place to watch is when travelling West to East is where the Express Lanes start east of the 427 Interchange. There is an excellent Municipal Campground in the East end of TO, Rouge Valley, just off the 401 close to the Zoo and close to public transit downtown. If you wish to avoid TO altogether your next option is to take I81 North and cross there. Easy crossing have done it often.
Old 09-25-2013, 04:11 AM   #9

Hello
Just got my bill from my August trip to Algonquin, $94. One way! From QEW to the 400. Called and complained, they dropped it to $15.20!
rcnhoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:23 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by stearn View Post
Thanks for all your help! I called 407 to see what the cost is and that was enough. Without a transponder I would be charged $95.00 and with $45.00.That's traveling without a toad (traveling with a friend towing a trailer.) We are not sure if we will take the 401 and try to time going thru 1:30pm to 3pm or enter thru Kingston from the state side. That 95$ equates to something around 25 gallons of fuel, that is around 175 miles. Still interested to hear about poi's around Quebec New Brunswick, and Nova Scotia.
Traffic tends to build for the rush hours around 3pm, so get your timing right.
As for $95 getting you 25 gal of gas, good luck with that.......gas is over $5/US gallon here.......another pleasure of the Canadian taxed way of life. BTW, If it sounds like I am complaining I am not....I wouldnt trade it for the world.
poncho62 is offline   Reply With Quote