Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Navigation, Routes & Roads
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2013, 09:57 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Traveling cross country for the first time

We are about to leave on a 6 weeks trip from Los Angeles-Maine-Los angeles

Our destination is, the North East, our plan is to drive as follows...
Los Angeles - Mt Rushmoor - Niagara Falls, this last stop is where our trip really starts, the plan is to reach Buffalo NY by the 5th day. (I know, its a lot of driving, but 10-12hrs a day) its all about the North East...
From Niagara Falls, we will wind our way and taking our time through the state of NY, then route 81, to Alexandra Bay, route 11 to the 87, the northern route to Vermont and down to Burlington, stopping and camping along the way.
We will then slowly work our way through New Hampshire to Maine, all the way to Bar Habor.
Stopping off in the Arcadia Natl Park, we'll creep our way down to the Boston area, camp inland and do day trips in the toad.. a lot to see everywhere we go, so the toad will come in handy.
After Mass. we will arrive in New York, New York sans RV, staying in times square...
Philly is next, same as before, camp inland and enjoy the city with it's history and surroundings. Kids are gonna love Hershey park.
After history lessons in Philly, they will continue in Washington D.C.
The journey home will go via Richmond VA, Knoxville TN, NASHVILLE TN, Memphis TN, Little Rock AK, Oklahoma OK, Amarillo TX and following the 40 all the way home....

I know a lot of people will say that it's too much and way too short of a time to see all of it, but it's all the time I have before work, so we have to make the most of it.

approx 7800 miles...

Any advise or suggestions regarding routes, camp sites, monuments or POI, would be greatly appreciated

oh and this is our first RV, we just bought an 2004 Itasca Horizon 40' and our first really big trip, kids and parents are all exited. toad is a Ford Flex
DrThriller is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2013, 11:01 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
When in Niagara Falls, stay on the American side for cost advantage but make sure you cross into Canada in your toad to see the best views of the falls. Remember to bring your passports.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:59 AM   #3

While in the north east stay off I95 with the MH. Look for camp grounds outside of the metro areas that can be accessed by inland interstate highways. My personal opinion is that you are spending to much time behind the wheel and will turn a great experience into a chore or worse. At best the kids will get on each others nerves and your health might suffer. I got a DVT from such a driving schedule. I really want you to enjoy yourself and tell us about your travels. I will be camping in Northern New Jersey in the last part of June and well into July and would love to compare notes around a campfire. Outside Boston, Normandy Farms is the best campground you will find in that part of the country. In Maine there is a resort on Sabago Lake that is really nice and in driving distance to the places you want to go. Kittery Outpost on the Maine-New Hampshire border is a great place for outlet shopping. In Northern New Jersey I will be staying at the Mahlon Dickerson Reserve which is as close as you can get to New York City without paying an arm and a leg. $20. a night. I liked Stowe Vermont. It is centrally located to the interesting things in that state. I liked upstate New York in general and Lake George in particular.
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:28 AM   #4

Yes, you're doing our trip we have planned for Fall! I just now saw your response under the thread I started about "Fall in New England and Beyond". I'm excited! Will be looking forward to hearing details about your trip. I agree with others...don't get too burned out on all the driving, but then I totally understand it. We've seen most of the West...so this time we feel comfortable in kind of speeding thru it to get to where we really want to linger, meander, and explore..the Northeast. So the long driving days wouldn't bother me..but then again you are traveling with kids...been there, done that...just make sure you stop often enough, and let them buy things along the way . We have expanded our trip into most likely 6-8 weeks. My original comment about it being 4-6 weeks was plainly not enough. Good advice about steering clear of major cities..camp on the outskirts,and drive your toad in. We pull a 38' Brookstone 5ver, with a Ford F350 Crew Cab Dually..but we're comfortable driving it in cities. (after all, we live in L.A. Which way are you headed to Mt. Rushmore? We did that a few years ago..wonderful trip! Your trip home is similar to our plan too!
Safe travels, and post now and then about your trip!
Carol
Old 05-25-2013, 03:33 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Washington, DC

when we visited DC we stayed at the KOA just south of Richmond VA. They have a shuttle from CG to the commuter train into DC. About an hour ride (on the train). Very relaxing coming and going. Then in DC we used one of the tourist buses. Happy trails.

ronspradley
ronspradley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 01:24 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
When we were doing tours of New England we would leave Buffalo on I-90E and drive to Syracuse then get on I-81N to Watertown. we would then turn east on 3 and spend the night in Lake Saranac. Leave Lake Saranac on 96E then 73E thru Lake Placid turn N on 9N at Keene, cross I-87 and go to Port Kent. At Port Kent there is a Ferry to Burlington that is a nice ride. We always made reservations for the ferry so we had a spot, if not you have to wait for one. Just google Port Kent Burlington ferry for their number.

I ran this route every 3 yrs for 18 yrs in a 45' MCI motorcoach. It was one of three of our "Fall Color Tours".

If you'd like to talk about our Fall Color Tour send me your phone number in a PM and I'll give you a call.

Have a blessed day
Bob
TEFFY is offline   Reply With Quote